Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a Slingbox and Verizon service? I have a 700p with an unlimited data plan and everytime I start it up, it stops after 10 seconds with a message saying it's due to weak signal. It happens everywhere - even where the signal is strong.

I called Verizon, after 3 SlingBoxes and countless hours with SlingBox tech people, and Verizon said they cancel the signal after 10 seconds.

Can anyone help me out with this? It's too cool to return. Thanks!!
    Are you in an EVDO area? If not, watching is a challenge. There are so many parts that all have to work right and the problem could be any of them....like poor EVDO, slow ADSL or cable, problems with your own router....there are times when the EVDO signal is bad, or my DSL gets testy (usually when it rains)....but stick with it, it's worth it. What a great device and great customer service as well.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm in a strong EVDO area (South Fla). My router, DSL and modem were looked at. All of my speeds were tested as well. What's an ADSL?
    ADSL stands for asymmetrical DSL - as opposed to symmetrical DSL. (just another name for what most folks call DSL). Don't worry about ADSL or SDSL.

And what Verizon is telling you is bogus - while they will and can do cap people at 5Gb of monthly service (their unlimited data isn't unlimited, really - read your terms and conditions), they can't really tell that you're running Sling.

ON the other hand, I certainly wouldn't tell them that's what you're doing - they do know about Sling, and in many cases I know about, have shut people down for overages due to Sling. Here's what I would do -

try some other streaming app, like streaming radio, and see if the issue persists. You can grab any number of radio websites from the main home page in the 700p browser (unless you changed the default home page).

Try another app and see if you still have the issue.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Will try it. Thanks.
    I use the Sling regularly (Verizon + 700W) in central florida with no issues at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by gocanesbc View Post
    I called Verizon, after 3 SlingBoxes and countless hours with SlingBox tech people, and Verizon said they cancel the signal after 10 seconds.
    Seems like you should first isolate whether the problem is with your SlingBox end (including home ISP) vs the Verizon/Treo end.

You didn't say whether you simply used a PC on the Internet on another site to view your home Slingbox and confirm that your home Sling setup works well (including whatever home ISP you are using). Once you demonstrate that, you can forget about bothering Sling with any more requests for tech support or new Slingbox.

Yes, Verizon *can* tell, or at least guess whether you are Slinging or not. The easiest way is the bandwidth over the default Sling port (5001). One thing you could try is to change the port you are using to something that might have other legit bandwidth usage, like imap (143) or ftp (20). I use port 143 myself, for somewhat different reasons.

As suggested above, it would be a good idea to test another streaming source, but I would use a streaming video source or something that needs around 200-300kbps, not streaming audio that requires far less. You can also play with the bandwidth requirements of SlingPlayer Mobile -- adjust the resolution, fps and bandwidth requirements down to 100kbps or so and see if it makes a difference...