Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I saw a lot of posts about what will be in 800p or even 900, but all of these are at most one year from now. What about 5 years from now? What do you want from your cell phone 5 years from now?

Here are my wish list:
    * I want a real camera in my phone, with real flash and zoom. this will allow me replace compact camera. There still going to be some high end compact cameras, but once we can cross the 5MP and these two key features on the phone, it will cover 90% of my needs. For more serious photograpgy, I will use my DSLR.

* Video phone. I think we got all the tech pieces, just need some programs and marketing support. Add a cheap VGA camera on the front size of Treo should not be a problem. And with EVDO take over, speed should not be a problem. The trick is how to integrate it into todays vioce call system. I don't want open a separate app for video calls. It automatically detect the capability on both ends of the phone.

* Digital wallet. I think this is already happening in Japan, so I hope in 5 years, we will get it in the US.

That is all for now.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I want a flip phone similar to a RAZR in size, that runs PalmOS with a touch screen and NO QWERTY, but all the normal, modern functions (memory slot, 3G, WiFi, BT, etc).

HTC currently makes hardware that very nearly matches this spec: It is currently marketed by Cingular/AT&T as the 3125 and is a RAZR-like flipphone that runs WM5. It is quite highly rated/reviewed. All that would be needed to add, hardware-wise is the touch screen.

I just have very little confidence right now that Palm could do the hardware engineering required to implement this. It is a hardware segment that is largely ignored right now (smart flipphones). But at least the iPhone has firmly established that an appreciable chunk of the smartphone market does NOT need to have a real physical QWERTY -- a good touch screen is enough for many as long as the software base is good -- back to the good ol' Palm PDA days...

(you don't need to tell me that many *do* want a QWERTY, I know... but many don't as well... particularly if it allows you other tradeoffs like thinness, larger display and flipphone format).
    5 years from now I will want unobtrusive video glasses with 100 GB local storage and a 5 G connection to the internet and my server at home, which will be able to see what I see, and use video overlays to give an augmented reality view of the world. The interface will work via voice and gestures, and it will finally be socially acceptable to talk to your computer, (or at least as socially acceptable as a cellphone conversation is now).

GPS goes without saying, but the glasses will also understand what they see, so it will recognize people who you may have forgotten, and constantly record every aspect of your day. It will build your task list itself, and maintain the calendar itself. It will be solar powered, so you never have to recharge it, and tied via biometrics to only one wearer.

I could continue, but lets just say nothing there is impossible, and wishing for a PalmOS flip-phone is very unambitious (but probably on track for Palm's rate of development)

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    5 years from now I will want unobtrusive video glasses with 100 GB local storage and a 5 G connection to the internet and my server at home, which will be able to see what I see, and use video overlays to give an augmented reality view of the world. The interface will work via voice and gestures, and it will finally be socially acceptable to talk to your computer, (or at least as socially acceptable as a cellphone conversation is now).

GPS goes without saying, but the glasses will also understand what they see, so it will recognize people who you may have forgotten, and constantly record every aspect of your day. It will build your task list itself, and maintain the calendar itself. It will be solar powered, so you never have to recharge it, and tied via biometrics to only one wearer.

I could continue, but lets just say nothing there is impossible, and wishing for a PalmOS flip-phone is very unambitious (but probably on track for Palm's rate of development)

Surur
    Dang... I found that highly arousing.
    Where will the reset button be?

"Points of Interest" should also include wait time for a table at the restaurant around the corner.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-