Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Spring is coming out with 4G soon? They are calling it XOHM (zoam). Will current devices be able to get a upgrade or do we have to purchase a new device again? Just purchased a 755 and I feel purchasing another device to handle 4G is getting expensive.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Like everything else you're going to need to purchase a new device.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Spring is coming out with 4G soon? They are calling it XOHM (zoam).
    As I understand it, they will start their rollout in spring '08 but will not cover most major U.S. cities until 2010, subsequently booking those sales in 2011. Although it will cover wimax phones (Nokia should reap a bounty on this), Sprint is really going after wireless broadband for laptops & other devices (digital cameras, video game players, mp3/internet radio players etc).

Many people may not see the utility in having broadband internet for their digital camera. But conceivably, one could take a photo or video, and instantaneously beam it to their website. Professional photographers may use this capability at athletic/news events etc.

Not sure how city-wide wimax will fit in with EVDO Rev B & C (ultra-mobile broadband). 1Xtreme (Motorola) & EV-DV (Qualcomm et al) look to be dead. Ironically, technologically EVDO will be tapped out with Rev C and most carriers will transition to HSDPA for post-2010 network improvements (eg AT&T/Cingular already has, and is currently building out further for blanket saturation of the continental U.S.).
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/17/2007 at 03:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    As I understand it, they will start their rollout in spring '08 but will not cover most major U.S. cities until 2010, subsequently booking those sales in 2011. Although it will cover wimax phones (Nokia should reap a bounty on this), Sprint is really going after wireless broadband for laptops & other devices (digital cameras, video game players, mp3/internet radio players etc).

Many people may not see the utility in having broadband internet for their digital camera. But conceivably, one could take a photo or video, and instantaneously beam it to their website. Professional photographers may use this capability at athletic/news events etc.

Not sure how city-wide wimax will fit in with EVDO Rev B & C (ultra-mobile broadband). 1Xtreme (Motorola) & EV-DV (Qualcomm et al) look to be dead. Ironically, technologically EVDO will be tapped out with Rev C and most carriers will transition to HSDPA for post-2010 network improvements (eg AT&T/Cingular already has, and is currently building out further for blanket saturation of the continental U.S.).
    sprint is going to start rolling out in Chicago and DC this year. With atleast 5 more major areas next. Samsung is going to be a big player for sprint. From my understanding sprint is not going to invest in EVDO updates after this. Argeed they are going to push the mobile broadband user more then anything. They are going after DSL/Cable customers with this.
    There was a rumor awhile back about a Palm Wimax device but there hasn't been anyupdates on this. I'm looking forward to this being rolled out.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    sprint is going to start rolling out in Chicago and DC this year. With atleast 5 more major areas next.
    Wow, very quick. That's great.
    Actually GrandRapids, MI is the first city they will be rolling out WiMax as a full blown system...

It is going to be a public/private system and is more an extension of WiFi then anything else... Supposed to be scalable to be faster then WiFi but still same basic idea...

The City of GR will be using it to connect the city together. Police and fire will have immediate access to a variety of things. They will also use the technology to make things like water meters automatic and will have dirrect connections to many other things around the city. City workers will be able to access their workflow programs as well as a variety of other utilities...
    It will not replace the cities fiber internal network but will allow expansion to wireless. The protocal works well at speeds of 70+ mph...

There are links about this and other things if you go to www.grcity.us and look at the wireless section...

The part that sounds real cool is that it will also allow city wide wireless to anyone with a computer or related device... And like 5% of the population will be able to use the service at a reduced rate due to income.. ($10 a month)

Wimax may be available in other areas too but GR is the first to have it hand in hand with their municipal services..

Rodney
    Actually GrandRapids, MI is the first city they will be rolling out WiMax as a full blown system...

It is going to be a public/private system and is more an extension of WiFi then anything else... Supposed to be scalable to be faster then WiFi but still same basic idea...

The City of GR will be using it to connect the city together. Police and fire will have immediate access to a variety of things. They will also use the technology to make things like water meters automatic and will have dirrect connections to many other things around the city. City workers will be able to access their workflow programs as well as a variety of other utilities...
    It will not replace the cities fiber internal network but will allow expansion to wireless. The protocal works well at speeds of 70+ mph...

There are links about this and other things if you go to www.grcity.us and look at the wireless section...

The part that sounds real cool is that it will also allow city wide wireless to anyone with a computer or related device... And like 5% of the population will be able to use the service at a reduced rate due to income.. ($10 a month)

Wimax may be available in other areas too but GR is the first to have it hand in hand with their municipal services..

Rodney