1.    #1  
    I discovered this by accident.
    Try typing this in your SMS app:

\Theta\Xi\Gamma\Delta\Lambda\Pi\Sigma\Phi\Psi\Omega

and send it to someone's Treo or save it as draft, you'll be surprised at the result!
    It doesn't work on all the Greek alphabets, and the first letter has to be capitalized.
    So far I've tried it on both Treo 650 and 680.
    Try it out yourself
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Worked great on my 755. Now have to figure out what to do with it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    So how would I do Sigma Alpha Ki or however they're spelled?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    So how would I do Sigma Alpha Ki or however they're spelled?
    \Sigma\Alpha\Chi
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    \Sigma\Alpha\Chi
    Thanks, but that didn't work. I only got the \Sigma symbol. Tried it with other combos and nothing worked but the first one. It won't do Alpha or Chi.
    Hmm, you got me. The OP did say that it does not work with ALL of the Greek letters.
    it could be for scientific/math notations
    It's all greek to me..
    Just as a reminder, it will most likely only work when sent to other Treos.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    cool hack
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It's all greek to me..
    .....no pun intended, right??
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    If I save the sms as a draft then I can see the symbols, but if I open the message then I only see the words, I have a treo 700p btw.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Thanks, but that didn't work. I only got the \Sigma symbol. Tried it with other combos and nothing worked but the first one. It won't do Alpha or Chi.
    Aren't the letters for Alpha and Chi A and X? Why not just type that in?

I just figured that out, I was trying to do Phi Mu Alpha, and Mu and Alpha weren't coming out, but, I can just put M and A.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post

I just figured that out, I was trying to do Phi Mu Alpha, and Mu and Alpha weren't coming out, but, I can just put M and A.
    That would be way too easy to us to figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    OK, I feel dumb now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    seems to be treo unspecific. tried it on a friend's nokia and saw the same greek letters there.
    I think these are part of the GSM messaging standard (or whatever they call it).
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    seems to be treo unspecific. tried it on a friend's nokia and saw the same greek letters there.
    Yup, I tried sending the message to a Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phone and the letters appeared on both phones as well.

If this feature is a GSM standard? how come it doesn't work for all the letters in the greek alphabet? and how come it's not documented anywhere?
    The default SMS alphabet is specified in Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+);
    Alphabets and language-specific information
    (GSM 03.38)
    , which can be downloaded from http://pda.etsi.org/pda/queryform.asp by searching for "GSM 03.38". There are indeed a subset of greek characters specified in the default (mandatory) alphabet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaratt View Post
    If this feature is a GSM standard? how come it doesn't work for all the letters in the greek alphabet?
    My guess is that it works for all of the Greek letters that are different in appearance from ours. (For example, it may not work for "Chi" because the symbol for Chi is "X".)