1.    #1  
    Man it looks impressive. I think I like this, but theme the color could be a little brighter. If this can multi-task(more like windows where x mean it really closed and not like Pocket PC) they may have a winner. I am looking forward to try this in their next gen device. I just really hope its still touch screen and good third party support.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...nshots-emerge/
    http://alp.access-company.com/index.html
    Last edited by bloodycape77; 08/13/2007 at 04:56 PM.
    It's now 1 year since they revealed this thing at Linux World in 2006. It has taken them this much time to get screenshots! No live demo on a physical device at the show. No video of said device running the OS. Just "screenshots". And for all we know they could be mockups and not actual captures from a real device or a development board.

Whatever the case. Never ever forget that the core of this baby comes from the same folks that wowed us with Cobalt. Let's see now, didn't Cobalt get about as far as screenshots too?

Palm Inc, OTOH, has demoed a device running at least one variety of there Linux based OS. They have allowed that device to have hands on testing by folks on at least 3 occasions over the past months. They have a short list of respected devs with software already written, installed, and function on a real device. They have spoken to the fact that more are on the way. Also, it looks like the release date of a real device will occur in the next 60 days. A device that will surely have significant U$ marketing behind it. Also, they have alluded to 2008 being the release of real devices running a variety on smartphones.

MHO ... Don't hold your breath on this one.
    Patrick Horne
    Sorry, but you won't see any ALP devices here in the States. No companies and no carriers have signed on and/or endorsed ALP. Not a single one.

Motorola has a competing linux distrib, Palm does, HTC is only Windows, etc.

It'll primarily be for Asian markets.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sorry, but you won't see any ALP devices here in the States. No companies and no carriers have signed on and/or endorsed ALP. Not a single one.

Motorola has a competing linux distrib, Palm does, HTC is only Windows, etc.

It'll primarily be for Asian markets.

Very true. Still, it is interesting to see the development and where they can take the OS. It's great to compare against what we are seeing developed in the US.

Palm does look to be ahead on this one. imagine that, Palm AHEAD of someone in the development space.Next thing you know, they'll release a MR that works.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Very true. Still, it is interesting to see the development and where they can take the OS. It's great to compare against what we are seeing developed in the US.

Palm does look to be ahead on this one. imagine that, Palm AHEAD of someone in the development space.Next thing you know, they'll release a MR that works.
    I dont know of any screenshots from Palm for their Linux platform? If so can you please point me to them?

If not, than how are they ahead?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    The Memos icon says "TimeWarner" on it.
    I don't get how they might be involved... perhaps an AOL connection?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I dont know of any screenshots from Palm for their Linux platform? If so can you please point me to them?

They actually have Linux working on the Foleo. Trust me, Palm is nearly ready to launch Linux on smartphones. There is a gen of POS/WM devices first but the next round of devices following that will be Linux. That doesn't mean they will be good of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    They actually have Linux working on the Foleo. Trust me, Palm is nearly ready to launch Linux on smartphones. There is a gen of POS/WM devices first but the next round of devices following that will be Linux. That doesn't mean they will be good of course.
    Yep well said! I had forgotten about the Foleo. Oops!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post

The Foleo is using the new Linux platform. And a few recent announcements have the OS in a phone for 2008 (should be '07 IMO, but)

If you would like to see screen shots, just look at the foleo.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not trying to suggest Palm is doing so great. Actually, i think the common feeling around these board is that they are WAY behind w/ there OS. The 'zen of palm' can carry an OS only so far. But, for this comparison, they are ahead.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.