1.    #1  
    I've read the numerous tirades/angst about Palms "lack of technical innovation" over the years. Having owned a long series of Palm OS products dating back to the original Palm Pilot 1000 (now using a Treo 755p), I'm perhaps a little biased. However, my wife (who previously used a Sony Clie for the past 5+ years, and RARELY called upon me to help her with it), just got a T-Mobile Dash (Win Mobile OS). She spent the ENTIRE day yesterday trying to figure out how to use it, including over 2 hrs with phone tech support. After getting totally exasperated, she handed it to me and asked me to help. After about 1 hr of trying to figure it out, I handed it back to her and told her she should have bought a Treo!

Despite the shortcomings of the aging Palm OS, it remains an elegant and intuitive design, with HUMAN engineering.

Granted, I could have sat down with the Dash instruction manual and figured everything out, but if it takes HOURS of work for a newbie to accompish the most basic tasks, then the user interface (IMHO) is just plain WRONG!

It's heartening to notice lately, that when I'm in a room full of professionals and somebody's phone rings with the telltale default Treo tune, the vast majority of folks (myself included) reflexly pull out their own Treo to answer! Maybe Palms future isn't so gloomy after all!

I just pray that Palm's future Linux based OS retains the simplicity and intuitive design that made the product what it is today.
    :Shakes head:

Surur
    Maybe you can call Apple's interface simple. Palm? ......no, just no. How about a freaking customizable app screen first. I would rename half of the bundled apps 'crap' to make it simpler.
    Just curious, what problems was she having with the Dash?
    And then there are those of us who have had no problems with their devices, that is until after the MR - and that took a bit of time to work out the problems.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    She couldn't get her email working, and it took Tech Support over 2 hrs just to solve the problem. Then, she couldn't get her Bluetooth functioning, and the phone kept asking her to enter a password, which she never had assigned. I played with it a while, then gave up. I kept wanting to just use a stylus, but it doesn't have a touch-screen, and the navigation buttons are cumbersome. She's gonna call Tech Support again tomorrow.

Granted, Palm OS Treos require some add-on programs and tweaking to accomplish more advanced tasks. However, the BASICS usually work right out of the box, which is all that most non-techies (like my wife) really need.
    The problem for Palm is that more and more people and wanting/needing more than "simple". The only place to go for something that can do more is Windows Mobile.

If Palm's new forthcoming Treo (whatever the model number is) is an indication of their "innovation", then they really are in trouble.
    I'm a confused human being, then, having ditched the 750 for a Dash (which incidentally is wonderfully one-handed).
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post

Despite the shortcomings of the aging Palm OS, it remains an elegant and intuitive design, with HUMAN engineering.
    What planet did you just land from, Pluto?
    BTW, Bluetooth password is usually "0000" without the " ".
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    She couldn't get her email working, and it took Tech Support over 2 hrs just to solve the problem. Then, she couldn't get her Bluetooth functioning, and the phone kept asking her to enter a password, which she never had assigned. I played with it a while, then gave up. I kept wanting to just use a stylus, but it doesn't have a touch-screen, and the navigation buttons are cumbersome. She's gonna call Tech Support again tomorrow.

Granted, Palm OS Treos require some add-on programs and tweaking to accomplish more advanced tasks. However, the BASICS usually work right out of the box, which is all that most non-techies (like my wife) really need.
    As I suspected, its mainly lack of familiarity and even ignorance. Who doesn't know about default bluetooth passwords these days (0000 or 1234) ?

Surur
    Sleepy, I agree that Palm has a well-designed smartphone fsystem. With all the other software available, it can do amazing things.

Unfortunately, with the new devices coming out, the Treo looks old and boring. in addition, Palm has made some bad business decisions and mistakes in the recent years.

I see Apple and Palm as similar in their businesses. Both have been around for a while and have devoted followers. Both had troubles in their business and for now, Apple has overcome those and bounced back.

It's also interesting to look at the ipod and see that it is basically the same design and look it has been for years. Others have tried to compete, but the ipod is still king.

All I can say is I hope Palm can turn things around because they do have a product with great potential. I'll keep mine as long as I can and hope they turn around like Apple.
    I've used both - give me a Palm any day.

Does it's job well for me, i have no desire to switch. My parents did - and they still miss a variety of things on their old Palms.

If I switch - it won't be to a WM phone/unit. I purged Windows from my life - its hanging around for 1 application that won't run on my Mac.

Nope, no WM for me
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Unfortunately, with the new devices coming out, the Treo looks old and boring.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's crap. Way too many people (perhaps you are one, I have no idea) seem to equate newer with better.

I don't seem to find people trying to get a newer, improved fork every year. The fork does exactly what it needs to do, no more and no less.

Now you could argue that newer features are a good thing, and as you have in your hand a tiny computer, you wouldn't be far off. But let's be fair about it. The PalmOS interface has remained the same for so many years because it's just flexible enough to get the job done for the most people. I find it sufficiently useful myself. I have no need for fancy launchers, today screens with a crapload of garbage on it, and so forth. If you truly NEED that, then by all means get it... but don't berate Palm for providing a decent interface that satisfies millions of people each day. Every registered user on treocentral.com is still a small fraction of the number of people using the device.

I think it would be nice to not be so damned vocal when someone says, "hey, this thing works for me!" It's just as valid as you whining that you don't. And yes, I mean whining, because the same small number of people find a need to post the same crap over and over and over again. If it sucks so much, find something you like better, eh?

Tom
    I have no problem with the "old" Palm. My point is that some people complain because it is an "old" style and yet it does the job well. My other point is that even Apple uses the "old" ipod design and yet, it is still very successful The question is, why is Palm doing so poorly with their "old" system and other like Apple, doing so well?
    marketting.

Surur