Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been working on this website in my free time for a while now, and I thought this would be a good time to introduce it.
    http://m.keytoss.com

It comprises three parts:
    Search
    It's preset to allow you to search any of 7 sites using a pull-down menu, but you can customize that list from over 60 different sites. You can also search any of those sites using keywords. For example, to search for "big" at thesaurus.com, you can enter "th big". I use keywords all the time in Opera on my PC, and I thought it would be useful to have this ability on my Treo. But I'm not sure whether this feature has wide appeal. Check out www.keytoss.com for a desktop interface and a full view of this search feature.

Sports
    You can see the scores for your favorite team after the game is over. Right now it's just baseball. If you don't like it, you can turn this off.

Weather
    Again you can customize it. And get a 5-day forecast. Or you can turn it off.

The site is relatively light, at about 9k, but still it's probably better enjoyed with 3G. I might do a text-only version. It works well with Blazer and fits on the page in wide-page mode. For some reason, in optimized mode, Blazer reformats the page, even though it already fits. Opera does the same thing.

Right now, it uses no javascript or cookies, and it saves settings between pages through the url. That may change.

On my todo list is a module for links to mobile-friendly sites, probably customizable, but I don't know when I'll get around to it.

This has been a great programming exercise, and I've been learning as I go. But it'd be good to get some feedback now on what's good and bad, especially about the keyword search.

Thanks.
    I just took a quick look and really like it! Are all the searchable sites mobile optimized? If so, I'll be using this a lot. It displays fine on my Treo. Thank you. I look forward to using and growing with your site.

I like that searching brings me to the actual site (not through yours). I wish I had seen this before I bought WideFind.
    Hey - that is cool!!!!!

Thanks - i'll have to remember to try it (i'm a EVDO newbie so i have myself trained to NOT go online often )
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I just took a quick look and really like it! Are all the searchable sites mobile optimized? If so, I'll be using this a lot. It displays fine on my Treo. Thank you. I look forward to using and growing with your site.

I like that searching brings me to the actual site (not through yours). I wish I had seen this before I bought WideFind.
    Thanks.
    Since I started this project with the regular desktop version, the list isn't limited to sites designed for mobile. The major sites, including Google, Yahoo, and MSN all have mobile versions, and m.keytoss.com will automatically send you there, while my regular site will send you to the main sites. If you have suggestions for sites to add (such as the ones in your bookmarks), feel free to list them here, or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by TraecyS/FL View Post
    Hey - that is cool!!!!!

Thanks - i'll have to remember to try it (i'm a EVDO newbie so i have myself trained to NOT go online often )
    Note that you can also check it out on your PC, if you haven't already.
    I did check it out on the PC - first! LOL!!

I just have to remember to use it, i'm bad about stuff like that. BUT, i made it the home page on the phone!

Thanks again!!!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    I would say change the wapedia site to pda.wapedia so it has longer pages.
    Thats pretty cool.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I would say change the wapedia site to pda.wapedia so it has longer pages.
    Done. Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    I made a few updates...

Since doing a flight status search in the text box isn't intuitive (you have to know the airline's 2-letter code), I created a separate page for flight status search with a pull-down menu.

I also added instructions for entering your location for the weather if you're located outside the US. Plus, I now give the option of displaying in Celsius or Fahrenheit.
    I checked out the PC version, and I'm very impressed. Thanks for providing it. I'm looking forward to trying the mobile version.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks for the site. It is quick and easy. Just the way a mobile site should be. I understand only having baseball so far, but what other sports are you planning on adding. Any way to have it do 2 teams from the same sport in the future? Thanks again.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    Thanks for the site. It is quick and easy. Just the way a mobile site should be. I understand only having baseball so far, but what other sports are you planning on adding. Any way to have it do 2 teams from the same sport in the future? Thanks again.
    I'd like to add the other major sports, as long as people find it useful. Let me know which sports you'd want.

And I think it's a good idea to allow multiple teams; I just have to figure out how to do it so the user interface isn't too complex or bloated for a mobile screen, especially if there are multiple sports.

Also, what kind of data connection do you have? I'm wondering, when you say the site is "quick" whether that's on 3G or a slower network. Thanks.
    so, i just clicked on the link above.

it showed me th weather for ny and the mets/braves score.

how did it know im in ny and that mets are my favorite team?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  14.    #14  
    Either it's very smart and can read your avatar, or that's just the default setting.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I'd like to add the other major sports, as long as people find it useful. Let me know which sports you'd want.

And I think it's a good idea to allow multiple teams; I just have to figure out how to do it so the user interface isn't too complex or bloated for a mobile screen, especially if there are multiple sports.

Also, what kind of data connection do you have? I'm wondering, when you say the site is "quick" whether that's on 3G or a slower network. Thanks.
    My family and I love the NHL (Hockey) and College Basketball. My kids are constantly wanting updates on their teams, so 2 teams would be great for that reason.
    I am using a Sprint 700p with the standard evdo data plan and at least the main page pulls up nice and quick for me.
    For some reason it wants to go to back to the defaults and not keep the "customized" settings. Is this normal?
  16.    #16  
    Sorry, I should have made this more clear. Since the settings are saved in the address, you need to bookmark the site only after you've selected the options. So "m.keytoss.com" will always go to the site with default settings. You want the bookmarked address to include the long string of characters, as in "...index.php5?wf=on&zip=10017&sp=on&tcode=...etc"

I did it this way because I wasn't sure how well mobile browsers in general handled cookies and javascript. I was probably being overly cautious, and it might make sense to change that eventually.

NHL shouldn't be a problem to set up since I can get it on the same feed I get baseball scores. College basketball will require considerably more work; I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything yet.

One of the issues I thought a lot about was how complex to make a mobile website. Do I optimize it for EV-DO, or do I optimize it for slower networks? I chose somewhere in between, with light graphics, but I wonder if it's too slow for some users and I should do a text-only version.
    kimsam,
    I really like the desktop version and have bookmared it.
    My problem with the mobile version is have to change to wide view to have it display properly. I hope you can make it to work in the optimized setting.

Great site and good luck.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    kimsam,
    I really like the desktop version and have bookmared it.
    My problem with the mobile version is have to change to wide view to have it display properly. I hope you can make it to work in the optimized setting.

Great site and good luck.
    Thanks. I just fixed the site to work in optimized mode, as well as in Opera mini. I had to add a "HandheldFriendly" meta tag so that the browser doesn't try to reformat the page.

The desktop version is kinda cool, and in some ways more useful, but I figured the mobile version would draw more interest here.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Thanks. I just fixed the site to work in optimized mode, as well as in Opera mini. I had to add a "HandheldFriendly" meta tag so that the browser doesn't try to reformat the page.

The desktop version is kinda cool, and in some ways more useful, but I figured the mobile version would draw more interest here.
    Tks, Looks good.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    count the nhl for me too!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast