Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    More improvements:

• I finally implemented cookies, so your settings will now be stored on the server. And you won't have to resave the bookmark every time you change your settings. For the 15% of you who don't have cookies turned on, your user ID will be saved in the address, and you need to save a new bookmark just one more time.

This required rewriting a lot of code on every page. I tested it a lot on Blazer, but not on any other mobile browser. Please let me know if you have any problems as you change pages.

• I added a new kind of mobile link which executes a Google Local search on certain keywords, such as "restaurant" or "police" for whatever location you're in. So now if you have several locations saved, you can switch locations with one click, and then look up say, the local gas stations with one more click.

• I added a link to a new page containing all the mobile links by category.

• I created a "Search Only" page, which has just the search bar. If you save this page locally, you don't have to download the webpage before you enter the search.

• Hockey scores seem to be working.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    More improvements:

• Hockey scores seem to be working.
    Did anyone know that hockey wasn't working? hehe

Great job! I like the improvements!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  3.    #43  
    Thanks.

I just added a new mobile link: Vacant Radio Frequencies
    If you use an FM transmitter with your iPod while traveling in the US, you may like this.

This service is provided by radio-locator.com, but they don't have a mobile friendly version. So I combined it with Google's mobile converter to produce this page. And of course, I pass it your location automatically. Right now, you need a zip code for your location for the automatic link. Eventually, I may rig it to take city/state.

If you don't have a zip, and you click on the link, you'll get a mobile-friendly form in which you can enter city/state.

Here's the web version:
    http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...state=&x=0&y=0

And here's a sample mobile version:
    http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...F%7C.1.0.0.0.2.
  4.    #44  
    The site is now WM friendly. I think.
    I tested it on a WM6 emulator with a 240x240 screen, and it seems to render well now. I haven't downloaded a WM5 emulator yet. If you have a 700W or 750, please let me know if you have any problems viewing the site. Thanks.
  5.    #45  
    1. The majority of the available searches are now mobile-friendly.

If you do a search on dictionary.com, thesaurus.com, UPS tracking, or IMDb, KeyToss sends you the search results at mdog.com, a very good mobile portal.

For the following searches, KeyToss gives you the results converted by Google into a mobile format:
    About.com
    Acronym Finder
    allmusic
    Archive.org
    AZLyrics.com
    Barnes & Noble.com
    Bartleby.com
    DHL Package Tracking
    TripAdvisor
    Urban Dictionary
    US Postal Service Tracking

And there were a bunch of other sites for which I was able to locate the proper mobile versions.

2. I changed the default settings to include more searches, teams, cities, and links - because many users don't change the defaults.

3. I added a small ad at the bottom. With about a hundred repeat users, I figure I'll make pennies a day, at best. But when that viral marketing kicks in, and traffic grows to the millions, I'll be ready.
    Let me know if the ad bothers anyone. I chose Google over Admob (another mobile ad provider) because Google's ads are less obnoxious.

4. Basketball pre-season has started, and the scores seem to work. However, there are some games played with non-NBA teams, and those team names don't appear properly because I don't have them in my database. That problem will go away when the regular season starts.
    Last edited by samkim; 10/13/2007 at 05:09 PM.
    I am using it on 750 with WM6 and it works real nice

Fred
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm View Post
    I am using it on 750 with WM6 and it works real nice

Fred
    Cool. Thanks.
  8.    #48  
    I restructured the site so that you can modify each section without going through the big customization page. Each section is labeled, and it looks a little busy, but I think it's easier for first-timers to understand at a glance what's there and what's changeable. I'm also trying to make the site more modular, possibly adding more modules later on, but I'm not sure whether I'll have time.
  9.    #49  
    I added YP.com (where Directory Assistant gets its data) to the search menu as a default for all US locations.

The search automatically sends your location along with the search term. To search a different location, you'll need to either select a new location in KeyToss, or send a blank search, which will take you to the YP.com mobile homepage.

This is only a business search, and YP.com searches by both business name and category.

I haven't added a white pages search yet because that requires multiple fields (first name, last name), and isn't suitable for the single search bar format.

Btw, Thank you to whoever submitted KeyToss to PalmAddict last week.
    Last edited by samkim; 10/21/2007 at 02:08 PM.
    idk if there is a bug or if i'm missing something, but I cannot change the weather city. it is stuck on NYC.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    idk if there is a bug or if i'm missing something, but I cannot change the weather city. it is stuck on NYC.
    Are you looking at the Locations section at the bottom of the page? From there, you should be able to switch between saved locations, or click on "Edit" to enter a new location. Please let me know the steps you're doing so that I can figure out the problem. Thanks.
  12.    #52  
    In case the problem was that the Locations section was too obscure at the bottom, I added an "Edit Locations" link in the weather module.
  13.    #53  
    • I added a Contact Us link for problems, suggestions, comments, etc.

And actually, one person already used it to suggest a WiFi locator link (Thanks!), so I added a Google mobilized version of JiWire.com as a mobile link. Click on Edit under Mobile Links to add it. As with other localized links, it automatically sends your zip code when you click on it. If you don't have a zip code, it sends you to a page where you can enter your location.

I'd love more suggestions. Anything. But just as important, please tell me if something isn't working right - if something breaks or if a search doesn't produce the results you'd expect.

• A couple weeks ago, the weather for many locations was broken for at least two days. The problem was with the weather feed from MSN. There actually wasn't anything I could do but wait it out. If it continues to be unreliable, I'll consider getting a new source.

• Also, I turned off ads for now. Google Adsense for mobile is still pretty buggy. Some day I may try it again.
  14.    #54  
    The weather is suddenly partially broken for some locations (well, for my location at least). But this time the MSN feed is still working. The problem is an unexpected change in formatting when one of the variables (windspeed) is unavailable. It shouldn't take long to fix.

EDIT:

Fixed.

Btw, if weather for your city or scores for your team stop working, I might not know about it, so please let me know if that happens.
    Last edited by samkim; 11/01/2007 at 08:38 AM.
    I like this, one thing that would make it better is news headlines, like from Yahoo or MSN.
    Thanks for doing this, it's nice.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I like this, one thing that would make it better is news headlines, like from Yahoo or MSN.
    Thanks for doing this, it's nice.
    Thanks. I've thought about it, but I wasn't sure how much demand there'd be for something like this. Do you use a mobile site for news headlines? If so, which one? Anyone else interested in seeing news headlines?

Also, I'd like to be sure that I can improve on what's already available, or at least do something unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Thanks. I've thought about it, but I wasn't sure how much demand there'd be for something like this. Do you use a mobile site for news headlines? If so, which one? Anyone else interested in seeing news headlines?

Also, I'd like to be sure that I can improve on what's already available, or at least do something unique.
    Yahoo has a nice site with headlines linking to stories.

For me, the perfect home page would have my local weather, national news and then Google.

Samkim, you definitely are on the right track and again, major kudos for doing this.
    I am close to making it my homepage.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    thats a really nice site. my new start page me thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Yahoo has a nice site with headlines linking to stories.

For me, the perfect home page would have my local weather, national news and then Google.

Samkim, you definitely are on the right track and again, major kudos for doing this.
    I am close to making it my homepage.
    It is my homepage and it is great. Keep tinkering, a news headlines feature would be great.
    Another thank you for a great job.
  20.    #60  
    Someone sent me a message asking for a way to restore settings after losing cookies. Here's a quick way. I won't have time to develop a more elegant solution for a while.

Right now, before you lose your cookies, click on Customize. At the bottom of the page is your user ID. Make a note of that. That number is stored in your cookie, and is sent each time you access the site to retrieve your settings.

If your cookies are erased, you can enter: m.keytoss.com?cl=123456789
    replacing the number with your user ID, and your settings and cookies will be restored. (That's a lower-case C and lower-case L.)

I suggest that you don't access the site with this url when you don't need to. (People without cookies enabled have no alternative.) The reason is that every time you click on a link, your browser sends your url to the new site. There's not much security risk here, since keytoss doesn't save your personal info, but it would be annoying for you if someone else ended up using the same user ID, even if by accident.

A better solution might be to set up user accounts, using your email address and a password, like nearly every other site in the world does. But I was hoping to avoid doing that.

As for the request for news headlines, I'll consider it for the future, but it won't happen soon. In the meantime, Google Mobile might give you what you need:
    http://www.google.com/m
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast