1.    #1  
    It is with mixed feelings that I announce to this Great Community to which I have had the privilege of belonging to for five happy, loyal, productive years, that I have decided to leave the Land of the Treo and head for much ballyhooed iPhone world.

I at first dismissed the iPhone for many of the commonly heard reasons: price, no tactile keyboard, puncuation on another screen, no cut/copy/paste, no 3G, I didn't want to be an iPhone groupie, etc.

Then a friend got one and I brifely played around with it. Wow. Kinda forgot for a moment all the rational reasons why I decided it wasn't for me. But I held firm.

Then my 650 started to go tits up the past couple days. It's actually been going south for several months now. It started with syncing problems. Next my "u" key wasn't working well. Call quality has been crummy lately. My hardy 650 was clearly dieing a slow, valiant death, when then this wkd a mortal wound was somehow struck and the screen started to malfunction. It would just short out and continue doing so after resets, rendering it useless.

Sensing the end, I scrambled for what to replace it with? Earlier this year I already tried the 750 and BlackJack and just didn't like Windows. I next played around with some Blackberrys (curve, pearl). Not bad but I felt like this was something that my company, rather than me, should spend money on. Looked at the Helio and other things in the pipeline, but none seemed to make much sense or stir the fun & excitement I had with the original Treo 180, the revolutionary 600, and the solid 650.

Having exhausted the available smartphone options, I thought about the iPhone again. I went down to the store to give it a thorough workout. The keyboard wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pictures and video quality rocked my world! The UI, to put it simply, is a work of art. Not that they need encouragement in this department, but Steve Jobs & Co be proud of that UI! Bravo!

Pragmatically, I noted that Apple has already issued a firmware update that includes a number of enhancements, and there is a burgeoning hacker community. Perhaps a horizontal keyboard, cut/copy/paste, etc. are not too far off? I'm already on AT&T and have been a happy customer for years, and that seemed to be the only no-fixable monster complaint people have with the iPhone.

So I hopped on eBay and discovered that for some reason people are paying more there than you would in the store! Thankfully craigslist delivered.

And so how are the first few moments with the iPhone? I'm smiling & laughing. Reminds me of the early days with the Treo.

I'm sure the last thing anyone needs is to read another iPhone defection post, but I wanted to say a sincere thank you to the community for all the support, advice and good laughs through the years. I'm not opposed to coming back to Palm. But they really need to take it up several notches. For several years now they've been coasting on what was without question a major technology innovation with the Treo. Before the 650 I owned the 600 and the original 180. But they haven't delivered a breakthrough enhancement in 2+ years! Hopefully losing customers like me to the iPhone will inspire Hawkins & Co. to revolutionize once again...
    Last edited by ghileman; 08/08/2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Enjoy!

It still doesn't fit my personal needs, but they did a good job with most of it.

But now, launch some new Mac's today
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by TraecyS/FL View Post
    Enjoy!

It still doesn't fit my personal needs, but they did a good job with most of it.

But now, launch some new Mac's today
    I am a dual OS person with 2 Mac's and Multiple PC's but I too agree it doesn't fit personal needs. I so want a new phone and have the money to buy one but nothing out there is a perfect match and iphone falls very short of the functionality I need.
    The iphone is great for entertainment purposes. However, it falls short in business applications. If that's what is best for you, great.
    No applications on the iPhone is the deal buster for me, too.
    If it weren't that, then it would be the slow GSM network.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    When the iPhone can do everything my 680 can do as well as have 3G and built in A2DP support, then I'll consider switching. I know WM devices have all that, but I really don't like WM at all after having used 2 windows PDAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman View Post
    I have decided to leave the Land of the Treo and head for much ballyhooed iPhone world.
    Just like the prodigal son, you will be back soon

I have have had the iPhone since day one and the honeymoon with the fantasic U.I. is over. IMO ,the phone has no substance when it comes to functionaility( from a Treo users perspective )
    here is my comparison of both
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we...o-vs-my-i.html
    I got to play with one Saturday at the AT&T store in the mall. They had two set up for people to try and you could stay as long as you wanted as nobody was waiting even though the store was crowded with buyers of somthing. Like you said, the keyboard was so easy that I liked the ability to type on it better than on the treo. I couldn't find the web. I felt like an ***** and didn't bother the salesperson since I wasn't going to buy, but I just couldn't see anything to press even though it had to right in front of my eyes. The photos were unbelievable. I didn't take a picture but it had photos installed and they were great. The phone looks like it already does what the treo does out of the box, but can you load programs like Directory Assistace or call record? I don't think I need anything more than what the ipod offers but why should I pay $400 more than the treo at $199. That would keep me away along with the finger prints on the screen as they were really bad.

I see alll the reasons not to, but the good things are done very well
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    yep, given that my business needs are covered by my Pearl, the iPhone has been loads of fun during the off-hours, especially the weekends.

enjoy yours.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Ah yes. Another one comes over from the dark side. Enjoy it, ghileman. It really is a gorgeous phone.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Ah yes. Another one comes over from the dark side. Enjoy it, ghileman. It really is a gorgeous phone.
    Yes. For me the single biggest factor going for the iPhone is how beautiful it is.

It does enough of the productivity things well that I can look past its well documented shortcomings. And hell, there are even some productivity things it does better than the Treo, IMHO.

Bottom line is this: the artistry of the iPhone is the real story. Artistic merit is subjective, of course, and criticizing others for not preferring some art over others is something I'll leave to Kant. But to others considering the switch I would say that if the artistry of the iPhone doesn't resonate with you then it may not be worth it. You don't buy the Monet simply because the rest of the world thinks Monsieur Claude is a bad ***.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman View Post
    Yes. For me the single biggest factor going for the iPhone is how beautiful it is.

It does enough of the productivity things .
    What productive things ?
    The only thing i did un-productive today with the iPhone was watch some YouTube at the DMV
    *Sigh.. if only Palm would learn from Apple. HA! that would never happen.. (palm learning from mistakes)
  14.    #14  
    Just came back here to check in and saw the new "Gandalf". Uggggly.

Switch to the iPhone is still going swimmingly btw. I actually think it might be overall a more productive device for me than my 650. And it continues to be just a joy to use.

And last but certainly not least, it's been a big hit with the ladies. They just love playing around with it. Good times.
    Off to iPhone land...