1.    #1  
    I've seen stuff about the Gandolf and the 800W, but precious little on the 800P. I saw a post here a month ago that suggested Sprint passed on the 800P and only ordered the W version. I sure hope that's not true. Anybody know the latest?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I have revised my predictions of Palm's lineup going into 2008 :

GSM POS:
    690p (Gandolf in white as seen--replaces 680, EDGE. ,microSD, 1.3mp camera)

GSM WM:
    690w (Gandolf running WM Standard/aka Smartphone, in white for low end)
    750 (carryover but refreshed mid-life with WM6 pre-installed)

CDMA POS:
    755p (Might remain a Sprint exclusive)
    800p (Gandolf in black, debut device for PLinux. EVDO Rev. A, 2.0mp camera, wi-fi, 320x320 screen size similar to Treo 700/755).

CDMA WM:
    800w (755 formfactor, 320x320 screen, WM6)
    850w (Gandolf formfactor in black, EVDO Rev. A, 2.0mp camera, wi-fi and GPS standard)
    Last edited by hkklife; 08/06/2007 at 04:18 PM.
    maybe they're going to forgo a 'P' and come out with an 'L' at some point...
    This question comes up every time a new WM Palm comes out, and Palm always does a POS version - they are quite wedded to their OS.

Surur
    According to the original source, as we stated, the Sprint product release has it named as the "Gandolf". Our sources say that this is not the 800p. We posted a photo of the 800w a month ago, and although you have to squint, the 800w does resemble these new photos.

We are unwilling to call it the 800p because 800 would be a step up. Those specs associated are not a step up. The 800w however will have wifi enabled according to Sprint. Our sources tell us the 800p will also have wifi, GPS and run on Palms new Linux. After Palm stated that they are pushing back their linux release until 08, it made sense to us why Sprint did not have 800p listed. Of course this could be the case. We broke the LG Fusic ll (this is what it ws called on the Sprint roadmap) when they released it they called it the Muziq.

But I feel fairly secure giving the info we were given on the 800p, the specs for both (P) and (W) match. The Gandolf is Palms attempt at Pearl and Upstage crowd. Although sites are calling it the 800p, I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    MPaper has it right (IMO). This ugly little white thing that we have seen blurry spy shots of here & there is NOT an 800-series device. In fact, I'd rate is UNDER the current Treo 680 due to the compromised screen & keyboard sizes and the miserable little microSD slot. But knowing Palm, they'll probably brand it a 690.

I think it'll definitely be the final POS Garnet-based GSM device and possibly the final POS-based CDMA one as well. I do expect, for better or worse, this formfactor (with small screen & keyboard size tweaks here & there) to be Palm's new corporate Treo FF going forward. At best, I could see Palm maintaining a small Gandolf FF, the standard 750/755 Treo FF, and then a wider, larger & more luxurious Gandolf FF on the high end.
    Was there ever really a 700P??? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpaper View Post
    According to the original source, as we stated, the Sprint product release has it named as the "Gandolf". Our sources say that this is not the 800p. We posted a photo of the 800w a month ago, and although you have to squint, the 800w does resemble these new photos.

We are unwilling to call it the 800p because 800 would be a step up. Those specs associated are not a step up. The 800w however will have wifi enabled according to Sprint. Our sources tell us the 800p will also have wifi, GPS and run on Palms new Linux. After Palm stated that they are pushing back their linux release until 08, it made sense to us why Sprint did not have 800p listed. Of course this could be the case. We broke the LG Fusic ll (this is what it ws called on the Sprint roadmap) when they released it they called it the Muziq.

But I feel fairly secure giving the info we were given on the 800p, the specs for both (P) and (W) match. The Gandolf is Palms attempt at Pearl and Upstage crowd. Although sites are calling it the 800p, I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.
    Agreed. The 800w is code-named "Vincent," not Gandolf. Gandolf is on the lower-end, with its non-touch screen giving more credibility to the rumor that at least one version of it will run Windows Mobile Smartphone/Standard.
    Do you think that PALM will just release a device that OS Independant? Meaning you could load either POS, Windows, or Linux.
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    When cows sprout wings and sasquatch is proven to exist....
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    a POS or PLinux Treo with wifi and improved camera and evdo is what I've been waiting for - for 2 years now. Still on my 650, a hold out.... come on Palm!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    "Vincent" is an appropriate codename as well. It was the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger's genetically inferior twin brother in the comedy, "Twins".
    I'm not sure if you guys have seen the new news.. http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/16/p...er-smartphone/

While it still sounds like two devices are coming the Centro seems to be first up.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    I'll be amazed if the youth generation goes for something that ugly. Honestly.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    a POS or PLinux Treo with wifi and improved camera and evdo is what I've been waiting for - for 2 years now. Still on my 650, a hold out.... come on Palm!
    You'll get it next year, and it'll do both GSM and CDMA, if the following item is right:

A high-end Palm OS II/aka Palm Linux-based Treo 800p. Morning Paper's tipster suggests that this device will debut on Sprintís network and won't see the light of day until 2008. Palm's CEO stated at the last conference call that a Linux based smartphone OS would not debut before 2008. It is also rumored to be an EVDO Rev.A device with wi-fi. However, this flagship device would also feature global functionality similar to the recent GSM/CDMA hybrid BlackBerry 8830. http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...s-forthcoming/
    Colligan (CEO) pushed it back to 2008 (from the original '07 roadmap debut). Ostensibly to divert resources to work on other devices (foleo?) and/or because the OS (Linux) is still not mature (Palm's still hiring Linux coders).

Not sure Garnet can pull off Rev A, thus doubt we'll see the new hardware on a Garnet this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I'll be amazed if the youth generation goes for something that ugly. Honestly.
    exactly, what the youth likes are phones that look cool but are really featureless - form over function. much like the iphone.

but more importantly is what we are seeing in evolution, a thin Treo....finally. only thing left is gps, wide screen, wifi, fresher more stable OS..........
    Last edited by gameplace123; 08/18/2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: wording
    if i had my way this would be the 800p