Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I said PalmOS, but I actually just meant Palm. They are as stingy with specs with their WM devices as they are with their PalmOS devices.

Surur
    Maybe. Since we only have technically two WM Palm devices to base it on: 18 month old 700 and the recent minor upgrade/GSM 750, it's sort of hard to conclude, imo.

Considering they only use a 312mhz processor yet it runs like a 416mhz WM device and it still has more memory than every other CDMA WM phone (Moto Q, 6700, 6800), it's actually pretty impressive. I will say this: they believe in doing more with less. Does that equal stingy? It's relative. If a slower processor performs as well as a faster one due to OS optimization, I'll take the increased battery life.

I think we can revisit this once their smartphone and 800 series comes out, assuming it's all accurate.

I still also maintain that at least here in the U.S., CDMA carriers are the real stingy ones. It was nearly 2 years between the 6700 and 6800 on Sprint. And Verizon has yet to release the 6800 themeselves. Considering how limited the Mogul is compared to say the Kaiser, we have a lot more compromises to make as customers. So while there is a ton of innovation by HTC and other OEMs, we never see that here till it's 9 months past the fact.

The upshot at least on Sprint is unlimited 3g data for $10 a month.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I think its difficult to argue that the 750 should not have had at least a 2 Megapixel camera. WIFI is another thing many of their competitors sport e.g. the Nokia and other HTC devices. They were using bluetooth 1.2 when everyone else had already moved on to 2.0. They were using UMTS when everyone else had moved on to HSDPA.

Palm may do integration well, but they always seem to run behind the curve.

If I was doing their report card I would write "Can do better!"

Surur
    I think its difficult to argue that the 750 should not have had at least a 2 Megapixel camera. WIFI is another thing many of their competitors sport e.g. the Nokia and other HTC devices. They were using bluetooth 1.2 when everyone else had already moved on to 2.0. They were using UMTS when everyone else had moved on to HSDPA.

Palm may do integration well, but they always seem to run behind the curve.

If I was doing their report card I would write "Can do better!"

Surur
    True, but the 750 was just a minor upgrade. It should have been more. The 750 does do HSDPA, it's just not enabled on some networks e.g. AT&T but customers can hack it if they want to. The WM6 upgrade enables it officially. The BT is a no brainer and even I called Palm on that one on the 750: they said to ask MS why WM didn't yet support 2.0, which was and still is a crock.

Like I said, here in the U.S. every CDMA WM device is behind the curve, so we tend to get less worked up about it. But considering I've had 3g for exactly 2 years now, I can't imagine having a device without it. It's all trade offs. I could grab an AT&T Kaiser, but then get poorer 3g coverage at a much higher price. Depends on what's important for your needs. No doubt an open GSM network brings greater competition.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    The FCC leak of the HTC Iris....
    Not a leak. Prelim info from ADT (not the home security company owned by Tyco, but Advance Data Technology in Tapei). We'll get the rest of the details on Sep 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...It would be neat though if Palm used HTC as a front for their new phone, after all HTC reportedly manufactures the Palm devices.
    Only the 750, to the best of my knowledge. Inventec of Tapei makes the 680 (hence the reversed headphone jack wires), and CMCS (Chi Mei Communication Systems, also of Taipei) will make the new Palm stuff. Purportedly, there is a fourth manufacturer (Quanta?) who Palm will use in late 2007/early 2008, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

Interestingly, Palm is trying to distance itself from HTC's stranglehold, at the same time HTC is trying to distance itself from Microsoft's stranglehold.

I don't think it's a good idea for Palm to have HTC manufacturing their stuff. A leak-proof Chinese wall (even if it's in ROC) is really hard to have in technology. Palm giving HTC's manufacturing division the details of new Treo design, doesn't mean that HTC's design section won't get wind of new features, capabilities and innovations (NDA or not) and put it into HTC phones first. It'd be like Apple giving Microsoft's Mac development team advance details on Mac OS features, and thinking that the Windows division won't learn about it and use it also.

Actually Palm recently said they would leverage the roadmaps of their ODM's, so this may very well turn up as a Palm device.
    That's a poor, long-term strategy IMO. Palm needs to innovate, create and harness the brilliance of it's prior synergy between software & hardware to produce world-class, consumer devices wrapped in a beautiful, accessible and elegant shell to truly revolutionize the user experience. Palm needs to be dreamers and visionaries, not unimaginative assembly-line lemmings pushing out products in micro-steps of Darwinian evolution.

Now is the time for Palm to catch lightning in a bottle....
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/14/2007 at 07:11 PM.
    cinealta,

Interesting post especially on the manufacturing details, which makes sense. (For those interested, info on Chi Mei Communication Systems/Palm)

I know Palm is quite upset with those leaked photos already of the upcoming lineup so I could imagine what you are saying about them wanting to distance themselves from HTC, as it basically does give their competitors a heads up (though judging by the poor reaction, they may not have much to fear).

Which gets back to the point: if the Iris and upcoming Palm smartphone really are different devices, then this does not look good for Palm who would be releasing, presumably, a very similar device to the CDMA market. Do you know if any of this speculation is accurate? Combined with the Moto Q II or Q q9 CDMA and the CDMA smartphone market is looking very crowded in the future.

Feel free to share any other insights
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/14/2007 at 07:21 PM.

Which gets back to the point: if the Iris and upcoming Palm smartphone really are different devices, then this does not look good for Palm who would be releasing, presumably, a very similar device to the CDMA market. Do you know if any of this speculation is accurate?
    Good point. It just doesn't make sense to me in a broad, long-term strategy for Palm to try and cover every niche. Unless, as someone else observed quite adroitly, they want to be the Timex of the cel phone industry (nothing wrong with that). It's just that they started out as innovators.

I don't have any extra, or inside, knowledge about Palm's or HTC's devices. My hunch is that the HTC Iris is not the same as the Palm Gandolf device, precisely because of your observation, that it wouldn't benefit Palm.
    For a low end device, most of the specs are actually better than all the other PalmOS devices at the moment, e.g. the processor is faster, the flash storage is larger, it has a 2 megapixel camera, it has GPS, wifi and evdo.

If Palm was making the device one would expect a VGA camera and 1xrtt.

Surur
    Oh, you are so right there. I think engadget called it a low-mid range smartphone, but with specs like that it seem more like mid-high rage smartphone. Hell its got better specs that the 700wx and the 750.

When this comes out on VZW I will be for sure getting it, don't care if it is Palm or HTC that makes the phone. I would prefer it in black or matte white and not that pearlish white looking thing palm plans to release. Don't forget if Palm made this phone, there be no wifi either(I would think 3G would be there at the most).

Combined with the Moto Q II or Q q9 CDMA and the CDMA smartphone market is looking very crowded in the future.
    Don't forget the HTC Libra, which is already out in Canada and is suppose come out for VZW this or next month or something.
    Last edited by bloodycape77; 08/15/2007 at 12:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    My 2 cents:
    The HTC Iris and the leaked Palm device look very very similar. I've thought this when I first saw it more like a month ago.
    If the are both made by HTC I don't see what the problem is. I can understand Palm saying to HTC give us this device and drop some spec let us market it to the cmda market and you can still sale your to the gms crowd.
    But no matter what Palm has 2 things over HTC 1. an OS other than WM and 2. The Palm faithful
    I've been with Sprint since 01 so I'm use to GSM having better spec'd devices.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I would hope that if Palm wanted to use an HTC device, they'd be able to do better than the Iris. ???
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    One of the leaked photos had Vodafone branding on it, which means there will be a GSM version
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    One of the leaked photos had Vodafone branding on it, which means there will be a GSM version
    Taz you're right I remember that now. Theory filled away in trash can
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea for Palm to have HTC manufacturing their stuff. A leak-proof Chinese wall (even if it's in ROC) is really hard to have in technology. Palm giving HTC's manufacturing division the details of new Treo design, doesn't mean that HTC's design section won't get wind of new features, capabilities and innovations (NDA or not) and put it into HTC phones first..
    That might be a concern if Palm actually *did* do some hardware innovation. But Palm hasn't innovated in the hardware (or software) space for years, while HTC is hardware innovating circles around Palm. So if anything, it might be that Palm might benefit from HTC's expertise in designing devices that are actually hardware-competitive in the market. For example, there is absolutely no excuse for a Treo not to be as svelte as a Dash (and at a similar cost). And if Palm actually marketed a Treo that was the size of the Dash/Q/Blackjack, it probably could have taken much of that market share.

The only thing that Palm has that HTC doesn't is PalmOS -- not something that any leaky wall would help with. It might be smart if PalmOS told HTC, we'll concentrate on making PalmOS much better, you figure out how to put it in innovative devices -- devices not the same as, but showing as much innovation and VARIETY as the Dash, Touch, Polaris, Mogul, Erato, etc, etc. If Palm could field that kind of variety (QWERTY-bar, slider, no-QWERTY touch screen, clamshell/flip, etc), it would be in a much different market position...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    ...So if anything, it might be that Palm might benefit from HTC's expertise in designing devices that are actually hardware-competitive in the market....
    True, all good points.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    When you get switched to the new billing system you will loose your corp discount with sero, many people have reported this, but SERO is still by far the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LuBi View Post
    If we were going to see it from Sprint then I'd easily take the Kaiser over the 800w.. I'm extremly impressed with the 6800 minus it's crippled memory, I'm also very pleased with it's mod community. I'm not currently a Treo owner but I've had experience with P. At this point I prefer Wifi and everything else WM6 brings to the table. In the end none of this matters because I'll never leave Sprint as long as I have SERO and my corp discount.. Plus it'll be another year before we see a CDMA trim from Sprint. The way I see it, I'll enjoy the 800w for a few months and then keep an eye on the CDMA Kaiser in about a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by toology View Post
    When you get switched to the new billing system you will loose your corp discount with sero, many people have reported this, but SERO is still by far the best deal.
    I'm on the new billing system with SERO and my 15% CORP discount.. Theres no issue having both and or more. My buddy has SERO, CORP discount, and a loyalty discount. You just need to know how to get things done, never had a issue myself.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Can you tell how you can get SERO and CORP discount at the same time? I do have CORP discount with Sprint.

Just wonder how much longer before we can see any Treo WM6 with non-sticking antenna for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Can you tell how you can get SERO and CORP discount at the same time? I do have CORP discount with Sprint.

Just wonder how much longer before we can see any Treo WM6 with non-sticking antenna for Sprint.
    Get SERO.. call, request, and verify CORP discount. Done. In detail get (sprint.com/sero) or have your current account changed. Things are more difficult now that everyones on to SERO but it can still be done. To verify CORP status they'll ask for your work e-mail. Other then that sit back and relax.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    What happened to this phone that was supposed to be released that was on the sku list?
    690 = Centro?

I'm not sure but that seems the likely answer.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    690 = Centro?

I'm not sure but that seems the likely answer.
    That's correct. The 690= Centro.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast