Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Kaiser vs 800w
    I'm waiting.
    I need to replace our 700w's and want to get it right this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    Regarding the Mogul, I'm a Treo fan, but don't you guys want to wait and see the Kaiser?
    If we were going to see it from Sprint then I'd easily take the Kaiser over the 800w.. I'm extremly impressed with the 6800 minus it's crippled memory, I'm also very pleased with it's mod community. I'm not currently a Treo owner but I've had experience with P. At this point I prefer Wifi and everything else WM6 brings to the table. In the end none of this matters because I'll never leave Sprint as long as I have SERO and my corp discount.. Plus it'll be another year before we see a CDMA trim from Sprint. The way I see it, I'll enjoy the 800w for a few months and then keep an eye on the CDMA Kaiser in about a year.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    If you need a lot of windows apps or very specialized unique stuff then the mogul is the way to go. But if you want usability, a good browsers and an overall decently designed phone then treo is the way to go. I had a mogul and went back to my 700p in two weeks. mogul had lots of bells and whistles but the battery life was really bad. it spent more time in the recharger than my pocket.
    it just wasn't well designed. i am hoping the 800 will come out with a nice screen and good battery life and GPS. Ill upgrade then
    Just to add to this I asked a customer service rep in the employee department about the treo 800... he said he hasn't heard anything about an 800 but he did say something about a RAZOR 690. A new Razor phone, not a treo 690. He said it will be out next month.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    based on some other threads, I am not sure that Sprint is using "800" internally for any of the new Palm devices and thus no one has heard anything about an "800"??
    Actually, it is the Razr2 V9M maybe they misheard what you asked? Because that is the only Razr model that is coming out for Sprint this month(next month on VZW, and some where in between for AT&T). But again, I head the 800W was suppose to be out middle of August for Verizon, but that was like back in May or something.
    Both the photos of the low end PalmOS Treo and the WM Treo have been leaked. They could be the Treo 690p and 690w. I don't see anything that warrent the "800" monikor. IMO they should call the low end "Treo Z" or "Treo Zire".
    Here is an interesting one. The FCC leak of the HTC Iris which maybe a new Treo device(with its specs I really hope so). http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/14/h...-outed-by-fcc/
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Here is an interesting one. The FCC leak of the HTC Iris which maybe a new Treo device(with its specs I really hope so). http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/14/h...-outed-by-fcc/
    It certainly looks very similar to the pictures of the 'Gandolf' before Palm had them taken down. So, it's either the same device, or Palm and HTC will be selling nearly identical devices!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    It certainly looks very similar to the pictures of the 'Gandolf' before Palm had them taken down. So, it's either the same device, or Palm and HTC will be selling nearly identical devices!
    I think the latter might be correct, which is not good for Palm.

That device has been listed on HTC road maps before, so it appears to be theirs. It would be neat though if Palm used HTC as a front for their new phone, after all HTC reportedly manufactures the Palm devices. OTOH from a business standpoint I can't see such generosity actually taking place!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    So Palm are really screwed. They'll be selling a new smartphone which may be lower spec and more expensive than an 'off the shelf' HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think the latter might be correct, which is not good for Palm.

That device has been listed on HTC road maps before, so it appears to be theirs. It would be neat though if Palm used HTC as a front for their new phone, after all HTC reportedly manufactures the Palm devices. OTOH from a business standpoint I can't see such generosity actually taking place!
    Actually Palm recently said they would leverage the roadmaps of their ODM's, so this may very well turn up as a Palm device.

Operating expenses are expected to be in the range of $125 million to $128 million, slightly lower than Q4 fiscal 2007, as we see savings from recent changes we have made, particularly in the product development area. We expect that product development costs will remain relatively flat on a quarterly basis throughout the year as we leverage our ODM partners more effectively.
    Ed Colligan— Palm, Inc.—President, CEOWell, I mean, it’s a new development. It’s something we need to think about carefully relative to margins. We believe that we can run thatelement of our business even more efficiently. We’re making less direct R&D investments in that because the ODM partners have gained a lotof expertise in the area, particularly in the area of Windows Mobile. So the thinking here is to leverage that more effectively, we can have —we can do a lot of design and specification and ideation around products there and bring some of our secret sauce, but leverage a lot of theirexpertise for the execution and we think that can be a very leveraged model and also allow us to put a wider range of products out morequickly. What we — one of the things that enabled this over the last year was the fact that we have diversified our ODM partner positions andwe now work with four different ODMs and the vast majority of our products a year ago were shipped to us by one. So it gives us ability toleverage a broad range of road maps that are already being worked on and a lot of expertise that’s been developed in the last couple years withthose partners. And the one thing that we strongly bring to the party is some software differentiation, some design differentiation and certainlyour distribution and our brand position, and those are things we think we can leverage into driving that business faster and higher
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/39702

Surur
    While the Iris may show up eventually I highly doubt it's the 800w. The Iris or S640 is a non-touch smartphone running if WM6 then Standard edition. There has been talk about a 800w running WM6 Pro and something similar, thinner , and without touch running WM6 Standard. In short I'll continue looking forward for more on the 800w. I think it's safe to say the S640 is going to be a competitor to the Treo in a few markets and not much at that.. The S640 is a more consumer friendly device still utilizing a 320x240 display.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBi View Post
    While the Iris may show up eventually I highly doubt it's the 800w.
    Nobody said it was What it could possibly be is the low cost smartphone Palm are expected to release which may be called the 690.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Nobody said it was What it could possibly be is the low cost smartphone Palm are expected to release which may be called the 690.
    Well that's what I read for the replies here as well as the number of Iris threads both here and all over the web. In the end you're talking about what I was as the 690 to you as the 800w less touch running WM6 Standard is to me. I had just never head the 690 name applied to the lesser 800w.

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Surur good job i was thinking the same thing.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually Palm recently said they would leverage the roadmaps of their ODM's, so this may very well turn up as a Palm device.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/39702

Surur
    Very interesting.

I will say this: it would be odd for Verizon and/or Sprint to be looking at two mid-level Smartphones from Palm and HTC and that is what has me leaning towards the idea that the Iris could be a Palm device.

Odd too about those Sprint rumors of a "690" smart phone device coming out quite soon, seems beyond coincidence. If those 8/30 dates are rumored to be true, the FCC certification could be the final go for this device.

BTW, funny how less hostile everyone is about the Iris compared to the earlier Palm shots. I don't know if it's the "black" or the lack of faith in Palm, but everyone seems to be holding back the criticism besides the "it loooks like a Q" and the "it's a mid-line" device observations, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    BTW, funny how less hostile everyone is about the Iris compared to the earlier Palm shots. I don't know if it's the "black" or the lack of faith in Palm, but everyone seems to be holding back the criticism besides the "it loooks like a Q" and the "it's a mid-line" device observations, lol.
    For a low end device, most of the specs are actually better than all the other PalmOS devices at the moment, e.g. the processor is faster, the flash storage is larger, it has a 2 megapixel camera, it has GPS, wifi and evdo.

Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    2.4" QVGA LCD Touchscreen
    256 MB ROM - 64MB RAM
    Qualcomm 400MHz CPU
    CDMA 1xEVDO 80/1900MHz
    802.11b/g WiFi
    QWERTY-type keyboard
    microSD memory card slot
    Bluetooth 2
    2.0 megapixel camera
    GPSOne
    USB 1.1
    If Palm was making the device one would expect a VGA camera and 1xrtt.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    For a low end device, most of the specs are actually better than all the other PalmOS devices at the moment, e.g. the processor is faster, the flash storage is larger, it has a 2 megapixel camera, it has GPS, wifi and evdo.

If Palm was making the device one would expect a VGA camera and 1xrtt.

Surur
    True, but POS devices are not really a fair comparison. I mean, the OS is 5 years old--you can only modify a frankenstein for so long with newer technologies. Plus as they couldn't even code for it while it was in Access's hands they lost valuable time to at least attempt significant updates.

Besides the memory error of the 700w, Palm's first attempt at a strong WM device was not too far off the mark (it's nearing it's 18 month bday). True the mid-line 750 update was nothing great, but that's why it's a 750 not an 800.

Considering HTC actually released the Dash sans 3g here, nothing surprises me anymore. lol. I'm am skeptical of both a Wifi and GPS device though. Granted it can do it, but will the CDMA carriers release it like that? Seems unorthodox for them.

I said PalmOS, but I actually just meant Palm. They are as stingy with specs with their WM devices as they are with their PalmOS devices.

Surur
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast