Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Muffnician, what's the beavermeter, these days?
    Kinda average, ASU's not in full swing. But the back to school sales have already started so things are looking up
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I spoke with my inlaw who works for Sprint to verify if any new TREO sku are showing. He was able to confirm that a Treo 800 is on target for release 8/30.

He also see's Treo 690 but unsure if its also 8/30 release. He did confirm that its coming in more than one color.

As for specs he cannot see what it brings. I will try and poke around some more and continue to push him to get me more info.
    Good god...if that date is accurate, that is very soon.

Odd we haven't seen a leaked tester pic or FCC documentation?

I'm so screwed if true. I'm going to have to get the 800w and a Foleo, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Agree, if 8/30 is a target date- why haven't we seen more solid rumors?
    I for one hope this is true. I am ready to upgrade my 700wx.
    Oh man - I just closed a deal today and was contemplating as to when I was going to order a Mogul. If this is less than 30 days away now, might just wait a little longer.......
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Yah come on Sprint. I am waiting to do biz with you. I am ready to give up my Q with VZW.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob View Post
    Hmm...I wonder if the Qualcomm Ban, which basically went into effect today, has a role in any of this? e.g., maybe Sprint was planning on releasing it, but with the ban in effect (and my assumption the 800w is using that chip), it will have to be delayed until that lawsuit is resolved...

So the date is the target date, but probably won't be met...

I spoke with the manager of my local Sprint store in California today. She said that she hadn't heard, or seen, anything indicating a new Treo coming out in the near future on Sprint. In fact, she said that the Palm sales rep had just come into the store yesterday and hadn't indicated anything at all either.

If there really is a new Treo coming out in 3 weeks, but she didn't want to acknowledge it, I would think she would simply refuse to comment on new releases etc. But it wouldn't make sense that she would go out of her way to say she hadn't heard, seen, or received training on any new Treo devices. Or that the Palm rep had just come in and hadn't mentioned anything either.

In fact, if she wanted a viable customer to return in 3 weeks to her store, and purchase the device, she would have even hinted something like "I can't mention any details, but return to the store on Aug 30th and you may be surprised," etc.

Oh well, just one manager at one Sprint store in one state, so it may not be indicative of any larger pattern.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Im just as suspect to all this as all of you are. If in fact something treo related does come out on the 30th and it has Windows Mobile.. Im on it.!!

I wont hold my breathe to what posted on the SKU for Sprint. But I will say when the Mogul was supposedly delayed for Oct/Nov release my inlaw had told me that the SKU showed Mid June release and it did hold true.

Lets see if anything shows up between now and then to help support what we have gotten out of Sprints SKU database.

Crossing fingers...
    Wow 8/30 would be such a nice date for the 800w but with this whole Qualcomm mess who really knows. I just wish it were true because I remember all us Sprint folk were pretty excited last year around this time for the 700wx's anticipated release.
    Last edited by untouchablez; 08/07/2007 at 03:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    VZW and Broadcomm made a deal that allows VZW to import devices with theQualcomm chips. VZW said they did it to "allow continued delivery of new and innovative products to customers." But as far as Sprint and other carriers were concerned, they were hoping for a Presidential veto of the International Trade Commission ban yesterday. It didn't happen. The ban went into effect today. How is any other carrier going to introduce any new phone with the Qualcomm tech inside?
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 08/07/2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    I suppose the only way is to strike a deal with Broadcomm. According to the Wall Street Journal At&t has also followed Verizon's footstep and struck a deal of their own. http://online.wsj.com/public/article...993889599.html

"One person familiar with the matter said AT&T Inc. had reached a licensing deal with Broadcom. While the scope of the arrangement isn't clear, AT&T likely will be able to import new 3G phones."
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    Oh well, just one manager at one Sprint store in one state, so it may not be indicative of any larger pattern.
    Manager's are the last to know as are Sprint CSRs.

The Palm rep would be forbidden to acknowledge a new device, regardless of how imminent the release or if they were talking to a Sprint manager. Only Sprint, through a press release, can "officially" announce a new device from Palm.

That's we always rely on leaked tester pics or FCC information to "know" when it's coming. Without those, we just have SKU numbers, lol.

If the 800w has the Qualcomm MSM6500 Baseband chipset, as I suspect, Palm/Sprint could be hosed on its import. Interestingly, as I understand, only the battery-saving feature is an infringement of Broadcom's patent. Surely Palm/Sprint could disable this feature, and use a system software work around? Sprint is appealing on their own.

If Palm were nimble and fast-acting, they could redesign around a Texas Instruments DSP chipset. Or Qualcomm could simply eliminate the battery-saving feature (infringing on Broadcom) and email a new GDS-II file out to their foundries in Tapei/Seoul to knock out a new chipset, and send those clean chips out to Inventec or HTC (whoever's making the new Treos), without too much delay.

Just some ideas to get the new Treos online and in our hands.
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/07/2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...That's we always rely on leaked tester pics or FCC information to "know" when it's coming....
    True, but undoubtedly David Woo (Palm's global compliance officer) would have petitioned the FCC for an 8 week, post-launch, window of confidentiality. No doubt the SAR testing is ongoing, or already completed, for a new phone. But the FCC may not release the authorization info until, at least, the launch date.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob View Post
    Oddly enought that was the rumored date for VZW version of the 800w a while back so who knows.
    Palm Gryphon

That is supposedly what the new code-word for the upcoming Sprint Palm device is.

Verizon had the 800w as Vincent.

Discuss. 690 or 800? WM or POS?

lol

(Incidentally, if the phone has already shipped to the U.S., the chip ban does not effect it)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/08/2007 at 08:07 PM.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I just hope its not a waste of another device. Hope its aleast equal to the 750 on ATT. Would also be a huge plus if it came already with WM6
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Palm Gryphon

That is supposedly what the new code-word for the upcoming Sprint Palm device is.

Verizon had the 800w as Vincent.

Discuss. 690 or 800? WM or POS?

lol

(Incidentally, if the phone has already shipped to the U.S., the chip ban does not effect it)

Well gryphon or griffin fits. Griffons are ugly creatures. That is perfect for their humpbacked, trolleo 800. Ugly as it gets.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast