Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The iphone is a sleek, gorgeous device. This 800 "thing" is the exact opposite.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I just showed these to my wife and a couple teenagers. These are the same people who find the Treo to be big and ugly. They actually like this layout and with the smaller size they would consider it. So if Palms angle is the Moto Nokia market I think they may have a contender. I like the idea of Palm getting back to having a low series and a higher series. Means those willing to pay might finally get what they want. More models the better I think.
    yeah, thats what I ment. so many teens like the slickness of the RAZR's but not the comfort of the Treo's. I see the BB PEARL and the Moto Q being snatched up a lot recently... maybe this is Palm's ticket for teens.

I just laugh a little because the Treo 680 was suppost to be the low-end Treo lol.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think PIC got this wrong: this is the low end, POS device analogous to the low-end WM smarthphone-edition they are working on (maybe the Treo 690, alluded to in the other thread).

Compare it to this:
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sta77/Palm.jpg

Now look at the supposed Treo 800w "high end" version running WM professional.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sta77/8oow.jpg

This is a small, cheaper, lite version of a 680 basically. The 800w is wider with more robust specs.
    I believe that "800w" picture was speculation by endgadget on a CDMA HTC device.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I believe that "800w" picture was speculation by endgadget on a CDMA HTC device.
    actually, no. it came from the blog "Morning Papers" and was supposedly from the Sprint internal documents on upcoming devices.

It is definitely not an HTC device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    On one of the slides from a recent Palm presentation, they illustrated how future Treos would have varying components, and they showed two keyboard sizes, and multiple screens (320x240 and two different 320x320 screens). This device and the Windows version are consistent with that slide.

The smaller screen and keyboard on the Garnet device seem to make a Foleo even more compelling. Imagine trying to do email on this thing.
    Am I the only one who can chime in and say they love the design?
    I don't think it's so bad. The iPod white probably isn't doing it any favours, but I certainly don't hate the looks half as much as others here.
    yeah, thats what I ment. so many teens like the slickness of the RAZR's but not the comfort of the Treo's. I see the BB PEARL and the Moto Q being snatched up a lot recently... maybe this is Palm's ticket for teens.
    Both my teenage kids have used my old Treo 650. My daughter was a bit reluctant to give it up for the FOTM SonyEricsson 850 we bought her and my son has been using it happily for a while now. The thing they liked most was the QWERTY keyboard (they both send an awful lot of text messages). I think the market for a cheap QWERTY device might be pretty big.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    yes the keyboard... and then the threaded txt messaging is a big thing. I think if Palm markets this thing right, sticks it on Alltel, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile for decent prices... they could be back in the game!
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    My son took the 650 with him as he travelled around Africa and came back with a fairly enormous journal that he'd written on it. No way he would have done that with T9. When the Treo dies (which will be sooner rather than later given how frequently he drops it) I doubt he'll have the funds to replace it with a high-end model, but something say half the price of the 680 might well fit the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    This new Treo might be good for my teenagers.
    maybe that is who they are targeting ... wouldn't be a bad idea. The 700/7540 for business users, 680 for average users, this one for young users. just a thought
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    That is so ugly that it doesn't matter how cheap they sell it. it is still an absolute pig. I don't think very many people want an ugly phone.
    I quite like it, actually.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The iphone is a sleek, gorgeous device. This 800 "thing" is the exact opposite.
    But it looks like it's going to be a lot, lot, lot cheaper than the upmarket iPhone and that will be the deciding factor for many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    actually, no. it came from the blog "Morning Papers" and was supposedly from the Sprint internal documents on upcoming devices.

It is definitely not an HTC device.
    Actually the 800w was first listed on HoFo in that thread about upcoming phones and products for VZW. The pictures posted had the 800w slated for August. Then again the internal documents also had the 755p, i760, 6800, smt5800 also slate for June and July releases and we saw how that panned out.

Could the fact that one is wider or narrower maybe related to the way the user's cameras take pictures? Or maybe one of the pictures where resized wronged which made one picture wider or narrower than the other? If that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Actually the 800w was first listed on HoFo in that thread about upcoming phones and products for VZW. The pictures posted had the 800w slated for August. Then again the internal documents also had the 755p, i760, 6800, smt5800 also slate for June and July releases and we saw how that panned out.

Could the fact that one is wider or narrower maybe related to the way the user's cameras take pictures? Or maybe one of the pictures where resized wronged which made one picture wider or narrower than the other? If that makes any sense.
    Nope.

One of those devices was definitely running WM Smartphone edition, you can actually see the OS. Palm is not giving up on WM Professional edition, so that means there are TWO WM devices coming from Palm--the lesser smartphone and the high-end, Black, 800w running Professional. It only makes sense they'd do the same for POS.

That's why this picture from PIC is most likely their "youth", low-end POS phone.

And now according to that other thread here, the 800w SKU is supposedly being listed on Sprint's computers. That needs to be corroborated though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    There's actually a reliable source over at hofo who also mentions the skus are in sprint's system. Check post #10.... http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211155
    Last edited by untouchablez; 08/04/2007 at 09:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i dont see why Palm keeps pushing WM period. I understand high-end users who want all these things built native... but the 700wx and 750 fit the bill almost perfectly.

The idea of a low-end Palm OS powered Treo for $200 or less would be something they need. Heck, id buy my dad one to replace his complicated Dash for his birthday. Id buy my best bud one, $200 is not bad at all, especially when I payed $430 with taxs for my 680 direct from Palm.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Looks like Palm tried to copy the Ipod look. Little did they realize Apple would totally leapfrog it with the Iphone. Having said that I think it is a clean looking design....though hardly innovative. Perhaps it is targeted for the "Zire" market.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    I quite like it, actually.
    You actually find this attractive? Sweet lord, urban.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Looks like Palm tried to copy the Ipod look. Little did they realize Apple would totally leapfrog it with the Iphone. Having said that I think it is a clean looking design....though hardly innovative. Perhaps it is targeted for the "Zire" market.

I dont see the ipod resemblance here at all, just a very poor zire/lifedrive/treo merger. This color white was also available with the 680. The clunky button layout and strange keyboard combined with a smaller screen is just a poor engineering design which even a cheap, cheap price cant rescue. This will have the same fate as all the previous palm pdas - a slow, silent death.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    haha, a cheap price rescued the razr
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast