Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    The thing that makes the Treo (PalmOS) compelling to have is the large number of apps available for it. Far more than any other smart phone. It would be suicide for them not to support older legacy apps.
    Maybe so, but a fresh start is always best, especially with something as complex as an OS. Attempting to keep support for legacy apps causing nothing but problems.
    BTW, I tried to play around with this on a 680 and only get crashes out of Cocoboot. Ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, I tried to play around with this on a 680 and only get crashes out of Cocoboot. Ah well.
    Did you remember to replace the "init=/linuxrc" with "mem=32M" in the "Command line:"?

Last edited by GreenHex; 08/06/2007 at 12:39 PM.
    yeah.. i can't get cocoboot to work on my old 650 either. And I did replace init=/linuxrc with mem=32M
    The 680 is NOT supported at the moment...
    it is not recognized either by cocoboot or the linux kernel...
    no way to make it work at the moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    The 680 is NOT supported at the moment...
    it is not recognized either by cocoboot or the linux kernel...
    no way to make it work at the moment...
    Someone recompiled the kernel image for the 680 but never tested the resultant zImage I think. The note just said that it compiled.

I'm going to retry my 650 tonight.
    whooo hoooo... opie's running on my old 650. I went to the source and got the latest angstrom(?) build for the 650 as well as cocoboot 0.4.

I tried first using the substitution mentioned before, but that never booted... it just stopped at the 'ash' console. I tried again, letting it boot with the default parameters and got an Opie boot. Pretty neat, but still a ways to go. ...and no phone or GPRS yet..
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Keep us informed on the progress Jaytee.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    put these files, along with the Angstrom opie files, I was about to boot Opie on my 680

http://www.palmlinux.cz/p3t3/treo680/
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    put these files, along with the Angstrom opie files, I was about to boot Opie on my 680

http://www.palmlinux.cz/p3t3/treo680/
    AngstromOPIE_t650-v01.ext2
    cocoboot.conf (from site above)
    cocoboot.prc (from site above)
    initrd-menu.gz (from site above)
    zImage.t680 (from site above)

With the above, it boots! Have to do a warm reset first. It's cute, have to adjust the fonts first thing, most stuff doesn't really work, doesn't seem to mount the SD card for music, etc.. but it's nifty.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 09/01/2007 at 09:52 AM.
    I never said it was useful! ;-)

You're right it is fun though.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    holy boot time batman! I've seen servers boot up faster then that thing.. granted it sounds like it's an alpha product. I'd be willing to try it out (non destructive) if they get it working on the 755.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    I never said it was useful! ;-)

You're right it is fun though.
    BTW, just noticed the way I listed those files out looks stupid..

I originally had some other random files on the SD card from the other attempt I made, and originally I removed 'em down and now I realize I only installed the specific files on the site, plus the root image of course from the parent dir.

Yes, it boots slow.. It's reading a root FS off the SD card, it's going to be slow.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    BTW, just noticed the way I listed those files out looks stupid..

I originally had some other random files on the SD card from the other attempt I made, and originally I removed 'em down and now I realize I only installed the specific files on the site, plus the root image of course from the parent dir.

Yes, it boots slow.. It's reading a root FS off the SD card, it's going to be slow.
    I went to try this and noticed that the zImage.t680 file and the initrd-menu.gz file are both missing from the directory where you download the Cocoboot and Cocoboot config files. Does anyone have these files who can email them to me or send me a link to somewhere else where they can be found?

email is robertshanewilson at yahoo dot com

Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12