Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I usually keep location off and it has always seemed to help me prolong battery life with my 700p. I am curious to how many users leave location on or off, and if off has it increased battery life or performance?
    at&t iPhone3G
  2. #2  
    Hmm, never tried that, I'll have to give it a try.
  3. #3  
    Off, but only to keep my number blocked, so clients I call do not have access to me 24/7.
  4. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    #4  
    When you guys say 'location' exactly what are you referring to?
  5.    #5  
    The circle with the cross in it lying between your BT icon and network arrows icon. It allows the network to detect your position using GPS, but will not hide your general location for 911 purposes. I have personally got more battery life having it turned off in my spotty coverage area where I live. You just go into phone pref and change to "911 only" option. I don't know if there is a proven fact that this works but it has worked for me.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    The circle with the cross in it lying between your BT icon and network arrows icon. It allows the network to detect your position using GPS, but will not hide your general location for 911 purposes. I have personally got more battery life having it turned off in my spotty coverage area where I live. You just go into phone pref and change to "911 only" option. I don't know if there is a proven fact that this works but it has worked for me.
    I don't see that on my GSM 680.
  7. #7  
    I leave mine on even though nothing uses it. At the end of the day with data off (I'm in front of a computer, I don't need email) and no one calling me (I use mine for personal use and never call anyone) I have 90% battery left at the end of the day.

    Tom
  8. #8  
    So if it's off, what exactly does that mean? That you can't get calls outside of your home area, or what? How does it "block" your number?
  9. #9  
    I tried leaving my location off a couple of times. What I found when I did that, and I am not sure why, the phone showed the wrong time by hours. When I ues location on I have no problems. One of the things that makes ya go hmmmm.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    I tried leaving my location off a couple of times. What I found when I did that, and I am not sure why, the phone showed the wrong time by hours. When I ues location on I have no problems. One of the things that makes ya go hmmmm.
    I have never had that problem. I have always kept location off and my time has always been accurate.
    at&t iPhone3G
  11. #11  
    what exactly is the point of having location "on"?
  12. #12  
    kept it off to save battery, also keep beam off and bluetooth off to prolong battery
    also drop network connection (grey shaded blocks)

    anything helps these days
  13. #13  
    Gee, all these knowledgable people, and nobody seems to be able to say what having it on or off means. From the manual, it says it's for "future Sprint network use"....and for routing 911 calls, which is does whether it's on or off. So the question still remains: what does it actually do?
  14. #14  
    absolutely nothing on the treos

    on some phones on sprints network they have tomtom like navigation using internal GPS, which is a monthly subscription, not available i do not believe with treos since u can get 3rd party tomtom software,,,so u can shut off the location, doesnt do anything
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    absolutely nothing on the treos
    Not true. If you leave it on, your number will show up on caller ID phones when you call out. With it off, your number comes up listed as "private" or "blocked" or "unknown."
  16. #16  
    with what service provider?

    that is not the case with sprint.....
  17. #17  
    Not true with Verizon either. My number shows up just fine with location off.
  18. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #18  
    jaharr is on crack. Turning the Location privacy feature on does nothing to block caller id.

    All the location feature does is allow the network to provide services based on where you are located. For instance, if sprint offered a location based coupon service, you could open a web page to sprint's LBS coupon service and it would give you coupons/specials/deals for businesses in the area you are in.

    Unfortunately, consumer (e.g: non big business customers) Location Based Services still have yet to show up on -any- provider in any fashion worth mentioning.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Gee, all these knowledgable people, and nobody seems to be able to say what having it on or off means. From the manual, it says it's for "future Sprint network use"....and for routing 911 calls, which is does whether it's on or off. So the question still remains: what does it actually do?
    I don't think that Treos have built-in GPS antennas. The location information is probably determined based on triangulating signal strength from the three nearest cell towers. With Location On, this information is made available to provide location-specific services. I think that they make it an option so that you can protect your privacy. I can imagine, in a "Big Brother is watching you" way, that someone could monitor your position throughout the day based on your phone number. I've never bothered to turn mine off.

    I've called 911 from my Treo before - thanks to the location feature, I was routed to the correct emergency center. E-911 makes a lot of sense to me.

    Paul
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada View Post
    I don't think that Treos have built-in GPS antennas. The location information is probably determined based on triangulating signal strength from the three nearest cell towers. With Location On, this information is made available to provide location-specific services. I think that they make it an option so that you can protect your privacy. I can imagine, in a "Big Brother is watching you" way, that someone could monitor your position throughout the day based on your phone number. I've never bothered to turn mine off.

    I've called 911 from my Treo before - thanks to the location feature, I was routed to the correct emergency center. E-911 makes a lot of sense to me.

    Paul
    911 feature works if location is off or on.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions