1.    #1  
    I have get this off my chest....

I just got off the phone with Verizon customer service. The man I talked to was the nicest, most informed person I have talked to in years on any "phone support" issue. The reason I called was that I looked up my bill and saw that I was getting chareged several dollars per text message still. This should not have been happening based on what 2 different persons at the local Verizon store told me on 2 different days.

The day I got my Treo 700p last month I activated it over the phone with a Verizon customer service rep. She seemed very helpful, but NEVER mentioned anything to me about a data plan. As I was about to hang up, I asked here, "So, I just have the basic plan, no data, right?" She said, "No, you have the Unlimited plan at 50 dollars a month." Well I almost blew a gasket. At no point in the conversation did I EVER say I wanted a data plan, and NEVER did she tell me that she signed me up for one. So, I made her remove it and put me on the "pay as you go" plan. To me that was VERY deceitful, borderline criminal.

I thought that was ok. The next day I did a test and sent myself a text message. Then when I checked the usage/cost later for that I about fainted. 3 - 5 dollars for one text message sent/received.

The next day I went to the local Verizon store and asked them to explain all this to me. They CLEARLY told me that I HAD to have a data plan to avoid that fee. I asked them several times about it, and they told me the same thing.... I HAD to have a data plan, and that once I got one, I would not be charged for the text messaging. I signed up for the 5 MB plan. Well, I came back the next day and asked a different person the same thing. They told me the same thing. So, I left it at that.

Now a few weeks later I'm looking at my bill and WOW, I'm still getting charged 3-5 dollard per text message. Good thing I only do about 2 a month.

So, I just called Verizon customer service and got the nice man I mentioed at the start. He could not believe that the local store told me that. He immediately said taht as long as I NEVER need to go on the Internet, and that if I get the 5 dollar text messaging plan, that I will be totally covered.

I can't believe that 2 different persons a the local store lied to me like that! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;(
    Last edited by bjmarler; 07/20/2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmarler View Post
    I have get this off my chest....

I just got off the phone with Verizon customer service. The man I talked to was the nicest, most informed person I have talked to in years on any "phone support" issue. The reason I called was that I looked up my bill and saw that I was getting chareged several dollars per text message still. This should not have been happening based on what 2 different persons at the local Verizon store told me on 2 different days.

The day I got my Treo 700p last month I activated it over the phone with a Verizon customer service rep. She seemed very helpful, but NEVER mentioned anything to me about a data plan. As I was about to hang up, I asked here, "So, I just have the basic plan, no data, right?" She said, "No, you have the Unlimited plan at 50 dollars a month." Well I almost blew a gasket. At no point in the conversation did I EVER say I wanted a data plan, and NEVER did she tell me that she signed me up for one. So, I made her remove it and put me on the "pay as you go" plan. To me that was VERY deceitful, borderline criminal.

I thought that was ok. The next day I did a test and sent myself a text message. Then when I checked the usage/cost later for that I about fainted. 3 - 5 dollars for one text message sent/received.

The next day I went to the local Verizon store and asked them to explain all this to me. They CLEARLY told me that I HAD to have a data plan to avoid that fee. I asked them several times about it, and they told me the same thing.... I HAD to have a data plan, and that once I got one, I would not be charged for the text messaging. Well, I came back the next day and asked a different person the same thing. They told me the same thing. So, I left it at that.

Now a few weeks later I'm looking at my bill and WOW, I'm still getting charged 3-5 dollard per text message. Good thing I only do about 2 a month.

So, I just called Verizon customer service and got the nice man I mentioed at the start. He could not believe that the local store told me that. He immediately said taht as long as I NEVER need to go on the Internet, and that if I get the 5 dollar text messaging plan, that I will be totally covered.

I can't believe that 2 different persons a the local store lied to me like that! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;(
    Sounds pretty much like most telecommuications companies do. Verzion is always high on their data. Sprint gives me good coverage and data at a reasonable price.
    $15 at Sprint. Damn, I didn't know Verizon charged $50!! What a total ripoff.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    $15 at Sprint. Damn, I didn't know Verizon charged $50!! What a total ripoff.
    T-mobile = $30 (includes T-Zone hot spots wifi)
    Cingular = $45

I'm very happy to be with Sprint too!
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Actually, it doesn't sound like you were lied to at all.
    Nowhere in the beginning of your story did you mention that you were doing text messages. Nor was it dicussed (according to your words written) if there was any other usage that you could be charged for besides text messages.

Text messages are not data driven as an internet connection is. Therefore charges are different, check your service plan terms for this info.

Nevertheless, any of those VZW reps should have showed you the terms of service that you signed which says that a data plan is required when purchasing a PDA phone/smartphone. The sales persons are also told to sell you the unlimited plan, rather than the MB/metered plan as there are higher margins on that one.

Not that I don't sympathize, but you really shouldn't at all be shocked; you did not read everything concerning that purchase. At the same time, the reps should make that overly clear when you purchased.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    picture mms messages use data but very little. I have the 5.00 unlimited txt plan and still pay for a small fee for data charges incurred with mms. Also Verizon only charges 44.95. Maybe someone didn't understand the contract?
    When I was with Verizon (up until May 14th when I went to Sprint) all text messages were 15 to send, 10 to receive and picture messages were 25. That was with or without a data plan. I had one, my wife didn't and we both had Treos. Neither of us had text plans so the charge was the same to both of us.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    The only way your text messages (SMS) could have cost that much is if they had pictures in them (MMS). MMS uses data (you were on the pay per KB plan). SMS does not use any data at all. Ever. Anywhere. Anyhow.

Bottom line... if you don't have an unlimited data plan with Verizon and a 700wx you are going to be pissed, sooner or later. Guess yours was sooner.

-Frank
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Actually, it doesn't sound like you were lied to at all.

Nowhere in the beginning of your story did you mention that you were doing text messages. Nor was it dicussed (according to your words written) if there was any other usage that you could be charged for besides text messages.

Text messages are not data driven as an internet connection is. Therefore charges are different, check your service plan terms for this info.

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry after work, and posted as much as I could before we had to leave. I did leave out some vital info. Here it is.

When I was at the local store those 2 days, both persons asked me a lot of questions about my needs in text messaging, Internet use, etc... I talked to each person for about 15 min, so we covered all the bases. This was not a quick casual conversation. I told them 2 VERY clear things about my typical use.... 1.) I would NEVER need to get on the Internet. 2.) I don't do much text messaging, but since I saw that I was getting charged 3-5 dollars for a text message, that I wanted to not incure that cost.

We several times discussed that my "primary goal" was to not have to pay for a data plan since I would not be using the Internet, but that I did not want to get charged a lot of money for text messaging.

Since I had researched here on Treocentral before going to the store, I asked the specifically if I could go with the "pay as you go" data plan and just add text messaging. On both days, both employees at the local store both said no that I could not do that. They very specifically said that I had to have at least the 25 dollar, 5MB data plan to accomplish that. They both said that I did not need the text messaging plan. I asked them several times if that was really true because I had read on other Treo forums that I did not have to have do that.

So, I believe I was lied to in these 3 ways:
    1.) The initial phone person that set up my Treo tried to "sneak" the "unlimited" data plan on me without my knowledge. I consider that a lie of sorts.
    2.) The 2 employees at the local store told me that I HAD to have at least the 5MB data plan, so as to not incure a high cost in text messaging.
    3.) The 2 employees at the same store told me that I did not need a text messaging plan since I went with the 5 MB data plan.
    Last edited by bjmarler; 07/19/2007 at 11:14 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    The only way your text messages (SMS) could have cost that much is if they had pictures in them (MMS). MMS uses data (you were on the pay per KB plan). SMS does not use any data at all. Ever. Anywhere. Anyhow.

-Frank
    Frank, the messages were not pictures, they were plain text messages I sent as a test to myself from my Treo, or else to my brother who is on Verizon, but has a regular cell phone. The only possible thing I can think of is that there are some different "plans" Verizon has offered over the years. Perhaps yours includes text messaging where as mine for sure does not. Just a guess.

As to me being on the "pay per KB" plan.... , this was not true the second time around after going to the local store. I let them sign me up for the 5 MB plan.
    Last edited by bjmarler; 07/20/2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Verizon is nothing but a bunch of crooks if you ask me. I wouldn't go through them even if there were literally NO other providers. I'd rather have no phone than have to deal with their BS. Charging $3-5 per text is criminal and a way to blackmail people into signing up for data plans. I'm honestly surprised they have any customers left at all with the way they treat them & the outrageous rates they charge. I've got unlimited data w/Sprint for $10, to charge $50 is just pure greed.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    The only possible thing I can think of is that there are some different "plans" Verizon has offered over the years.
    I've been with VZW for 10 years. I don't know of any plan that could ever have cost that much for a text message.

Perhaps you can elaborate on exactly what category your bill put those SMS text messages in. If data, I'd say you have a billing error. If text, I don't believe the billing system is capable of charging more than 0.25 per message (actually I think it's now 0.15 per text). Anyway, not 5 dollars or more per text. And this is without any text plan, just pay as you go.

You did send/receive them direct phone-to-phone, right? You didn't send/receive them from an email address, right?

-Frank
    I'm sorry, I was in a hurry after work, and posted as much as I could before we had to leave. I did leave out some vital info. Here it is....

So, I believe I was lied to in these 3 ways:
    1.) The initial phone person that set up my Treo tried to "sneak" the "unlimited" data plan on me without my knowledge. I consider that a lie of sorts.
    2.) The 2 employees at the local store told me that I HAD to have at least the 5MB data plan, so as to not incure a high cost in text messaging.
    3.) The 2 employees at the same store told me that I did not need a text messaging plan since I went with the 5 MB data plan.
    Thanks for the extra there. If you can get the names of those people, I'd recommend calling VZW customer services (at least a manager above the normal CSR) and voicing your complaint with the persons who sold you the service. Though it would amount to a bunch of "he said-she said," VZW does tend to crack down hard on retailers who bait customers in the manner to which you describe.

I hope that you do get some resolution to this.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.