Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I the only one that wishes he didn't have such a hangup about Windows Mobile?

I don't really consider myself a palm fanatic, i've had a 700p for half a year, and i had a 100m pda years ago. I'm not one of those who uses a dollar sign (i.e. M$) or playful spellings (i.e. windooz ) to mock MS. On my laptop i'm about 50/50 WinXP / Linux.

I just see this plethora of devices suporting WinMoble and get a bit green with envy at the feature sets available. Until recently, all of the good extra features were only offered on WinMoble smartphones. RIM has been stepping it up lately with the two biggest features that aren't natively on palm phones: GPS and WiFi. Feature set aside, I love the form factor on the 700. Just right for one or two thumbed typing.

I somehow borked the internal battery charger on my 700p (it randomly decides when to recharge the battery, no matter how I put in a cradle, power charger, or usb dongle). It's a matter of time before i get sick of swaping batteries. I'd want to get a 700wx (I'm in the camp not thrilled with lockups- even after the MR ).... but I just can't see myself enjoying WinMobile. If Verizon offered a BB 8100 i'd serious consider it (yes i know no WiFi or GPS there either).

Am I crazy?
    I just read that Verizon is going to have the 755p very soon (like maybe end of this month). Would that satisfy your non-Windows mobile device need?
  3.    #3  
    the 755p would probably satisfy my need. i scan the 755 boards a bit, and while i notice some complaints... it's not to the level of the 700p. i can't really play with the 755p because the only sprint stores I know of around me are in radio shacks, and they don't carry pda's. cost will still be a factor... but we'll see!
    I had a Treo 650 for a year and had various Palm OS (palm, sony, and Handspring) and PPC (Compaq/HP, Dell) devices prior to that. I've always preferred WM devices and after the Treo 650, I got the Cingular 8125, 8525, Blackjack and Treo 750 and haven't looked back at all.
    I can tell you that the 700wx is one of the most stable smartphones out there (PalmOS or WM). However, I understand that PalmOS is a better fit for some. If you do go with a WM phone, check it out as its the same form factor as the 700p and is a really great phone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I really prefer Palm but unfortunately its a dying platform and in a couple years Palm will simply be WM and competing head to head with a more mature iphone.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I second the statement about the 700wx's stability. It just plain works. Also, IMHO, the best way to do Windows Moble is to do it the Palm way... and believe me I've tried several others.
    Like many the Treo650 holds a special place in my mind and memories. I've also used many other Palm and Windows based handhelds. I would say the 755p is perhaps the best Palm OS Treo ever made. And there IS still life in this platform. (Else why would a Sling Media, for example, create software for the Palm OS for their slingboxes.)
    Blackberry has really come a long way. However treo folks often want more flexibility in software and peripherals. Few seem to love the mini-ball pointer now common on their new models. And the only people that don't hate the default fonts are people who have only used BBerrys and never saw anything else.
    Btw, my test BB 8830 is going back soon. Great form factor - beautiful, didn't like the ball; pretty stable; but Chatteremail on the Palm OS was consistenly faster than BB's service and why pay more every month just for the priviledge of using a BBerry.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 07/19/2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: POS Treo to Palm OS Treo
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    I would say the 755p is perhaps the best POS Treo ever made.
    Ah... the ways that sentence can be parsed.

I agree on chattermail... I like it enough that I'm not jonsing for the bb email (and associated fees). Ya'll are making me feel like I'm missing out on something in WinMobile
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by non_sequitur View Post
    Ah... the ways that sentence can be parsed.

I agree on chattermail... I like it enough that I'm not jonsing for the bb email (and associated fees). Ya'll are making me feel like I'm missing out on something in WinMobile
    Duly noted and the previous post has been edited.
    Win Mobile's multi-tasking and developer momentum are the big pluses. Palm OS is refined but aged. One Palm OS advantage we have found, and why it looks like it will remain my company's standard platform is the way it handles removeable storage. Combined with Chatter, it is simply the most reliable and most complete when needing to maintain a significant volume of local mail. It looks like 755's are going to replace our crop of 650's and 680's. I may keep my 700wx a little longer and we will give the 750 only a small part in the next round of tests. AT&T coverage is spotty for most of our users but HSDPA and simultaneous web and voice on the road is a rare and precious commodity.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    I have to saay that once I went to the 700wx, I left behind my good friend Palm OS, (probably) never to return. WM isn't perfect (what is) but I like it much better than Palm OS. More polished, as many - if not more - apps, and the multi-tasking is something that I'd always pooh-poohed until I started to use it.

I love WinMo.
    I always hated Windows Mobile. I tried to like it. I really did. Several different phones, always ended up hating it. Too many steps to do the things I wanted. But the 700wx is the best implimentation of WM that I've ever used. And it ain't half bad! Now if we could put WM6 on the 700wx....
    The 700WX was the best WM device I've used. I'm back to PalmOS now. If / when Palm releases a 320x320 WM6 device I'll have to try that. WM devices are great if they have at least their native res. (240x320), but 240x240 has been really slow to be adopted.
    I wish manufacturers didn't have such a love affair with winmob. I personally hate it, I think it's a complete piece of crap, & I would never have it on any phone of mine.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Im not a MAJOR fan of Windows Mobile. Give me Palm OS anyday, but I do envy some of the "modern" features that need to be put in Palm OS badley!!!

If you do go WM, get the Treo 750 on AT&T, HSDPA is far superier then EvDO, simultanious voice and data, smaller form factor, etc.

I like the 755p a lot, my buddy has it on Sprint. It arriving on Verizon will be a really good thing!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I'm with you too. Lists of features sometimes just aren't enough - if they were, would anyone seriously buy an iPhone?

If my phone died today, I'd replace it with another 680; there just isn't a better fit to my needs available today, or announced. 3G would be nice though!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    For me, the deal-breaker with WM smartphones from Palm is the lower screen resolution.

I'm waiting for 320x320 3G GSM phone with the Treo layout.

POS vs WM will be less important, although if everything was available.. I'd pick the Linux-based POS compatible platform that'll run my big list of POS software thet I have purchased over all these years. If POS remains Garnet based, it is a tougher call. I may switch to WM (320x320 GSM 3G) phone.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I recently switched to a WM device. Multi-tasking is excellent, but made even more important by the fact that you can get things done with no lag between apps. My 700p was loaded with apps and was quite slow. The wx allows me to do more by making me wait less. And I've replaced just about every one of my 100+ Palm apps (excecpt for CallRec, SplashMoney, and LJP).

Kinoma and/or Sling audio in the background is fantastic and not something I am likely to ever give up.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    The 700WX was the best WM device I've used. I'm back to PalmOS now. If / when Palm releases a 320x320 WM6 device I'll have to try that. WM devices are great if they have at least their native res. (240x320), but 240x240 has been really slow to be adopted.
    Every single app I've used (besides games) has worked perfectly wtih my 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I wish manufacturers didn't have such a love affair with winmob. I personally hate it, I think it's a complete piece of crap, & I would never have it on any phone of mine.
    The market speaks, manufacturers listen
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The market speaks, manufacturers listen
    It speaks wonders as to why Palm is the only POS OEM left!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast