1.    #1  
    Does my Treo 700p have the ability to be on a phone call and be able to access the internet at the same time?
    Does any other handheld device have the ability to be on a phone call and be able to access the internet at the same time?
    Palm OS devices can't. WM may be able to. The iPhone can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaroff View Post
    Only UMTS/HSDPA devices like the 750 can. Basically with other technologies like EDGE and even EVDO, the data connection is paused while voice is active.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaroff View Post
    Or more accurately.

PalmOS cant.

Treo 750 - voice and data at the same time when on a UMTS network, else voice and data at the same time when Edge and WIFI, else only voice.
    Treo 700wx - voice and data at the same time while on WIFI, else only voice. This is a CDMA/EVDO restriction.

iPhone - voice and data at the same time while on WIFI, on edge only voice.

The iPhone does not have UMTS/3G, so it cant do voice and data simultaneously, like the Treo 750 while in a 3G coverage area.

Surur
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Not sure if this counts or not. The other day, I had my Treo 700P hooked up to my laptop in tethered mode. While connected to the internet, my phone rang. I answered it, talked for a couple of minutes, and hung up. I never lost my internet connection on my laptop.
    However, when I am on the phone, no mail will come into my GoodLink app until after I am off the phone. It leads me to believe that this is a limitation of the Palm OS not being able to multi-task, more than a limitation of CDMA/EVDO.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here too
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
    Quote Originally Posted by PCTim View Post
    Not sure if this counts or not. The other day, I had my Treo 700P hooked up to my laptop in tethered mode. While connected to the internet, my phone rang. I answered it, talked for a couple of minutes, and hung up. I never lost my internet connection on my laptop.
    However, when I am on the phone, no mail will come into my GoodLink app until after I am off the phone. It leads me to believe that this is a limitation of the Palm OS not being able to multi-task, more than a limitation of CDMA/EVDO.

Of course, I could be completely wrong here too
    The data connection is put on hold for 5-8 minutes while you are on the phone. It will reestablish automatically. However, the action of passing data while talking on the phone is not possible as it is a Palm OS limitation of not being able to use the mroe advanced EVDO Rev. A and UTMS/HSDPA networks.

So no, not completly wrong at all.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Not sure if this counts or not. The other day, I had my Treo 700P hooked up to my laptop in tethered mode. While connected to the internet, my phone rang. I answered it, talked for a couple of minutes, and hung up.
    This happened to me last week when I was using PdaNet, a call came in, which I didn't think could happen when I was using PdaNet. I wasn't downloading anything at the time, reading an already downloaded email. I was disconnected when I was done with the call, but that was just until I pressed the connect icon. I was glad to be able to get the call.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Not sure if this counts or not.
    In this context, it doesn't count. You were not using the connections simultaneously. While you were talking, the Internet connection was paused, until you hung up from your voice call. This behavior is routine and WAD (working as designed) on the wx, but does not constitute using both "at the same time". BTW, you don't need PDAnet to get this "accept incoming call while surfing" functionality. The wx has it built-in (and now the w, with the 1.22 update, I presume).

-Frank
    True, it's not simultaneous access, but it's good enough for the vast majority of things. The number of times I (personally, YMMV) would be talking on the phone while sumultaneously search the internet or downloading email are vanishingly small.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    True, it's not simultaneous access, but it's good enough for the vast majority of things. The number of times I (personally, YMMV) would be talking on the phone while sumultaneously search the internet or downloading email are vanishingly small.
    Agreed. But, calling a computer support help desk comes to mind...

-Frank
    Interesting related sidenote. I was speaking to another shopper while I was in J&R Computer World here in NYC and he was telling me how much he liked the 8525. I commented that I liked the fact that it could handle simultaneous voice and data. He said yes, it could, but interestingly enough, if he was tethered via Bluetooth to his laptop, it would NOT do voice and incoming calls would go straight to voicemail. He said that it works perfectly fine if you are browsing the web on the device and making or taking a call. But not while while it's tethered on BT.

I thought that was pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I did not think to ask him what happens if he used a bluetooth headset. Oh well...