1.    #1  
    You can FULLY charge a dead treo in less than an hour!!!! Here is the trick: You must connect you treo with a usb cable to you laptop and make sure it is charging. Next, connect your wall charger to your your usb cable. That's It!!! Your treo will be charge in less than an hour!!! Simple but WORKS!!!!
    How HOT does your Treo get during this hour?

It is generally not a good idea to do something like that, especially with LiON batteries. They could overheat, resulting in fire...not to mention a possible cause of damage to your Treo.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Does not get hot at all, I charge mine everyday at work as described, sometimes I leave is plugged in if I don't leave for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ready2rollru View Post
    You can FULLY charge a dead treo in less than an hour!!!! Here is the trick: You must connect you treo with a usb cable to you laptop and make sure it is charging. Next, connect your wall charger to your your usb cable. That's It!!! Your treo will be charge in less than an hour!!! Simple but WORKS!!!!
    How did you "connect you treo with a usb cable to you laptop and make sure it is charging" with the factory cable? My factory cable does not charge from a USB port. I can however plug the charger into my factory cable while it is connected to the USB port. And I do.

I also have a 3rd party "USB charging cable". With this I have no ability to plug the wall charger into it.

So... how did you "connect you treo with a usb cable to you laptop and make sure it is charging" before you plugged in the wall charger?

-Frank
    WOW that seems like a bad idea.

How long does it take to charge anyway, 2 hours? I suppose if you NEED it charged really fast, maybe...

I better not see a thread from either of you about your Treo catching on fire while charging.
    If you left your original treo usb cable plugged in overnight your phone would be charged by morning. My treo usually charges in 90 minutes using the power cable, about double that with a aftermarket charger.
    When I plug in my 700p to sync, it makes the noise saying the charger is connected and the battery icon changes. If I plug in the wall charger, it would be the same setup as if I was using the Palm Cradle. Maybe that's why it seemed to charge faster using it. I thought it was the wall charger I was using.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I misunderstood, I thought the original poster said plug the wall charger in for the laptop not the 680, I only charge mine thru the USB cable to the laptop with the laptop being plugged into standard ac
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    How did you "connect you treo with a usb cable to you laptop and make sure it is charging" with the factory cable? My factory cable does not charge from a USB port. I can however plug the charger into my factory cable while it is connected to the USB port. And I do. [...]

-Frank
    Depends on the Treo model, I guess. My 650 didn't charge via usb, but my 755p does.

I just so happened that I'd just plugged my 755p up via the sync cable and then plugged up the power adapter, JUST before I found this thread. Sometimes one might need to sync or something while plugged into a cradle (and/or a power adapter), which is essentially the same thing described in the first post.

For that reason, it'd be insane for this to be a danger. Palm, Sprint, and all their friends would/should rightfully be sued for selling such a device - especially without a warning.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I charge my 755 using my 650 sync cord which can be combined like stated in the first post. I also noticed that on the 755 you can insert both cords that come with the unit (sync & charging) at the same time. As West3man stated above, it would be pretty dumb on Palms part to allow this if it wasn't okay.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    As West3man stated above, it would be pretty dumb on Palms part to allow this if it wasn't okay.
    Ummm, lets not overlook Palm's (ahem) lack of attention to detail, given recent events!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Ummm, lets not overlook Palm's (ahem) lack of attention to detail, given recent events!
    I didn't think they had a history of unsafe practices, though. Besides, it's hard to believe there haven't been very many Treo owners who've happened to have their usb cables and their power adapters plugged in at the same time.

Somebody would've gone all Human Torchy on us, by now.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ready2rollru View Post

I have a 650 and 700p. The USB cable doesn't charge the 650 but does charge the 700p. Must be the pin configuration. I always have both the charger and USB charging at the same time and haven't had a heat or battery life issue yet.
  14.    #14  
    Well it does not work with the 650. it only works with the 700 and 755. As some one stated before it must be based on the pin configuration. Has anyone compared the time it takes for a regular wall charger compared to this "Hybrid" charging method. I think it saves you half the time!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Strangely enough, I've gotten a "battery temperature high" warning twice in the last week while charging my 700wx in the car. Both times the device did feel warm to the touch; but had only been plugged in for a just a few minutes. I was using the split or Y charger cable that came with my TomTom(ver.5) Palm kit. One end of the split features a usb connection for the GPS unit and on the other end of the Y, a palm power connector (originally used with my Treo 650 and also the wife's T|X.) I've never seen that message any other time or on any other device. Is it the cable??? Yes, I've continue to use the cable without incident. --- The breeze at high speed may have had a cooling effect.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .