Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Oh don't start throwing around that "it's a privilege" crap. It's not like these carriers are doing us a favor by letting us sign contracts to be their b*tches for two years.
    Except you don't have to sign a contract. You can get "pay as you go" monthly plan (not prepaid cards) as long as you have a paid-for celphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    I think I made it clear why I put it here. It is because I think the issue is bigger than the iPhone and affects Treo and all other wireless products as well. I think that the petition deserves our support because they are advocating for rights that would ultimately benefit all wireless consumers.

Everyone who has complained that the Treo doesn't have this or that feature or isn't available on a desired network (e.g. Sprint has DUN, Verizon doesn't; Verizon has this phone, Sprint doesn't; AT&T has the 680, T-mobile doesn't) should consider signing this.

It is nice that folks with GSM have the option of buying expensive phones and running them to whatever network they want. But I have Verizon and that doesn't help me. It is technically possible for me to run a CDMA phone on any CDMA network I want. So why doesn't palm offer us unlocked CDMA phones? It is because CDMA carriers blacklist ESNs that do not belong to products they sell. Why? Obviously to lock us into oppressive contracts. After the contract I can't even take my Treo to a competing carrier, I need to purchase another one. That is ridiculous! It is time that this stopped.

For those bellyaching about government intervention, I believe in capitalism and I invest in the stock market. And in the true American spirit I support initiatives that benefit my own interests, I consider this one of them for the reasons stated.

I'll pose a question for the group. Would you tolerate your landline phone company doing the same thing? Telling you what phone or answering machine you can use and insisting you buy it from them? That used to be the case many years ago, remember Ma Bell? Guess what, the fact that you can decide what communications equipment you want to use is a result of government intervention. The FCC forced change. Government is our instrument let's put it to work for us. If anyone thinks that the market is going to force the carriers to stop their practices, dream on.

One more point to think over. As long as the carriers are in control of the devices, innovation will always be stifled by the carriers' profit motive. Why allow free WiFi, free GPS, etc when I can disable those features and bill, bill, bill. What about VOIP? There are numerous technologies that by all rights should be prevalent in smartphones that aren't there because carriers do not know how they could profit from them. You know what, that is not my problem. Palm, Apple, RIM etc. should be CATERING TO ME, NOT VERIZON, etc...

I hope that those that agree with me will sign. Those that do not, I respect your opinion.

Sam
    Here, Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Except you don't have to sign a contract. You can get "pay as you go" monthly plan (not prepaid cards) as long as you have a paid-for celphone.
    When I tried to add a new line on Sprint using an existing fully paid for phone, I was told that the monthly cost was twice what it would be if I signed a two year contract.
    So what's wrong with that? They're willing to give you a discount for signing a 2 year contract and charge you a premium. There's a risk involved with giving away services before they're paid for, and that's the premium Sprint wants to collect because of that risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone View Post
    When I tried to add a new line on Sprint using an existing fully paid for phone, I was told that the monthly cost was twice what it would be if I signed a two year contract.
    Are you suggesting it is wrong for them to offer you an incentive to do something that is of value to them? Did you have a choice? Are there alternative cell phone providers?

I have yet to hear someone show me something that a cell phone provider is doing that is "wrong", predatory or monopolistic.

In fact, cell phone service is far less expensive than it was just a few years ago, with far more options. It seems to me that you folks want the guv'mint to give you things, although you claim you like capitalism.
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    You can’t use it without signing on with AT&T, ...
    Amazing though it may seem, it is not Apple's (or anybody else's) responsibility to provide you with access to an iPhone on your terms.
    Quote:
    Apple touts the iPhone as the “Internet in your pocket” — but it’s not. You can’t use it without signing on with AT&T, and once you do they cripple services, limit what you can do and restrict where you can go on the wireless Web.
    What are they restricting you from?
    Are they trying to limit how much surfing you do? Or keep you from certain web sites?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12