Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    For reasons that I can't honestly remember ( turning 50 is soooo much fun ) I decided to sell my Treo 600 ( I had owned a 300 years before). Thereafter I made do with a couple of perfectly capable, run of the mill Motorolas. But then I had to own a smart phone again. Perhaps it was all the impending iPhone hoopla, so I went out and bought a BlackBerry Pearl.

What a horrible little piece of *&@##??! Perhaps if I was a PC user my experience would have been better, but based on my own experience and many hours of web based reading, I would have to say that the BlackBerry technology is deeply flawed. If all you want to do is send and receive email, then you'll probably be fine, but stray into virtually any other realm of internet activity and you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

Long story reasonably short, I bought an unlocked Treo 680 on ebay, slipped in my TMobile SIM card and everything is working perfectly. Night and day difference. The wonderful folks at StandAlone must have one of the most generous upgrade policies around. Quite literally, within 30 minutes it was as if I had never stopped using a Treo. The Pearl made me so unhappy that my wife didn't give me a hard time about buying a second "toy" in the course of such a short period of time.

Hasn't much of the tech press been writing that the Treo line is hopelessly outdated? A I missing something?
    Yeah, my Treo 650 works so well that I can't find a reason to upgrade. . .

If people don't like the Treo, let them try something else for a while. Many of them come back.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    On paper my Treo 750 gets beat to a pulp by the 8525. But the Treo form factor is just the best around IMO, and I see no reason to get away from it. Palm overall really does have a good sense of how a smartphone should work, whether it runs POS or WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Yeah, my Treo 650 works so well that I can't find a reason to upgrade. . .

If people don't like the Treo, let them try something else for a while. Many of them come back.
    I am having a tough time, there are features on the BB that I like and of course features on the Treo (years and years of Palm) and how the device operates. But Palm needs to address the needs and problems of it's users!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    On paper my Treo 750 gets beat to a pulp by the 8525. But the Treo form factor is just the best around IMO, and I see no reason to get away from it. Palm overall really does have a good sense of how a smartphone should work, whether it runs POS or WM.
    The form factor is quite nice on the BB 8830 (if it were only the form factor) I would go with the BB even with the good though inperfect trackball (takes a while to get used too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ikondave View Post
    For reasons that I can't honestly remember ( turning 50 is soooo much fun ) I decided to sell my Treo 600 ( I had owned a 300 years before). Thereafter I made do with a couple of perfectly capable, run of the mill Motorolas. But then I had to own a smart phone again. Perhaps it was all the impending iPhone hoopla, so I went out and bought a BlackBerry Pearl.

What a horrible little piece of *&@##??! Perhaps if I was a PC user my experience would have been better, but based on my own experience and many hours of web based reading, I would have to say that the BlackBerry technology is deeply flawed. If all you want to do is send and receive email, then you'll probably be fine, but stray into virtually any other realm of internet activity and you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

Long story reasonably short, I bought an unlocked Treo 680 on ebay, slipped in my TMobile SIM card and everything is working perfectly. Night and day difference. The wonderful folks at StandAlone must have one of the most generous upgrade policies around. Quite literally, within 30 minutes it was as if I had never stopped using a Treo. The Pearl made me so unhappy that my wife didn't give me a hard time about buying a second "toy" in the course of such a short period of time.

Hasn't much of the tech press been writing that the Treo line is hopelessly outdated? A I missing something?

check out the form factor of the BB 8830, My Treo 755 feels like a brick in that regards but I have said the Treo has it's plus (mainly the OS minus the lag).
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    the major issue was the difficulty that my BB experienced trying to run 3rd part applications. I was never able to determine if the main culprit was my carrier (T-Mobile), BlackBerry, PocketMac , the PC emulation software I was using or some sort of combination. BlackBerry support was unimpressive and the PocketMac program turns out to have some serious limitations. As has always been my experience, the tech people at TMO tried very hard to be helpful ( I have no professional relationship with TMO ); and they put me on to Apple's Boot Camp. By the way, for my fellow Mac users who might have the need to to venture into the Dark Side from time to time, Boot Camp is a great deal of fun.

But I digress ... Seriously folks, I could not get a single 3rd party app to work on either my BB or my wife's. I readily admit that I am no digi-guru, but I bought my first Mac 20 years ago and have owned all sorts of different systems. I have NEVER before run into a situation in which I could neither make headway or in terms of understanding the nature of the problem; or having known what I was up against, lacked the resources required for the fix. That was the deal killer. It would be nice it the 680 had WiFi, but given the fact that every airport I go to charges for internet and I can get online for free via my data plan, that just isn't much of a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I agree. I had the 6700, MDA and 8125 and all of them were very user "unfriendly" and they give a bad impression of WM. When I used WM on a treo I realized it wasn't the WM OS that was difficult, it was the non-treo device. I was without a treo for 2 years and now I am extremely happy to be back!