Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    My company is currently comparing the BB 8830 and Palm 755p's. The Treo 750 and Moto Q will be in the next found of testing. We're deciding which device to deploy to our sales dept. Although, it hasn't been too long, the Blackberry 8830 World phone is shaping up to be the first device kicked off our Smarthpone survivor island. Here's some of the feedback we received on the BB, the user's background and a surprising discovery.

User 1 Feedback: Initially - Wow, this looks great! I thought about getting that phone.
    After using it - I don't like this thing. The browser is horrible. I know I don't like the fonts. There aren't enough shortcuts. It wasn't quick enough doing certain things. I think it looks cool. The ball isn't so bad. The keyboard isn't as bad as I thought it would be (the keys aren't spaced apart) It would be great if it ran windows. Browsing is slow and the results aren't pretty. Had NO success listening to streaming music (wma, aac, mp3.)
    User 1 Background: Young IT person currently using Motorolla Q. Got the Q after a year of constant problems with an XV6700. Thinks his Q is perfect.

User 2 Feedback: Initially - That looks nice. Feels light.
    After using It - Did NOT like the ball at all. It's not very accurate going up and down on a page. Felt like it would eventually be the source of hardware problems. Web pages just don't look attractive. Things just don't look that good. I definitely don't like this. Even the keyboard was not as easy to type on as what I'm used to. The email was one of the most dissappointing aspects (Local device storage of multiple IMAP folders are required for this user. Sales cycles are months to a year+)
    User 2 Background: Early thirties executive currently using a standard cell and a Treo 650 for the past year for email only (poor volume on the treo and wanted something smaller for personal use.)

User 3(me) Feedback: Initially - Looks nice.
    After using it - The fonts are not great for readability. You can get used to using the ball quickly. However, I felt that it was a too stiff when pushing in to select (uncomfortable.) Scrolling through web pages can be frustrating - too much scrolling of the ball w/out corresponding action on the screen. "RIM - the fonts - please! " I was shocked to see how it handles rich text in email. I didn't realize how much the RIM strips and ravages what content publishers and authors (of email) create, in order to send data "quickly and efficiently." BB push email DOES NOT equal instant email. (See below) Having heard the term "crackberry", IMO the only people who could have gotten "addicted" to blackberrys are people who never saw anything else first.
    User 3(me) Background: IT manager and Palm user since Palm Pilot professional (still have the box with the 2mb upgrade, IR port and the new 3.0 OS) Currently using a 700wx after a year of swapping bad xv6700's. Treo650 before that. I really tried to give up on Treos but discovered the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.)

Users 4 & 5 Still testing the 755p's Their feed back later.

Surprise discovery! Chatteremail on an old Treo 650 on AT&T's slower network consistently out performed the Blackberry in terms of "Instant" retrieval of email. Chatteremail consistently received emails almost immediately. The BB device using BB's service and retrieving from the same mail provider (our own server) is just not as quick giving you new mails. Updates from the BB8830 back to our server was very quick.

More feedback and a direct comparison with the 755p later.
    Kind of off topic, but I just realized today when setting up a coworks UTC 6700 to my 650 is that they are about the same size, yet the treo looks lighter. The BB looks like a gorgeous device and in testing I loved it, but the trackball is an issue. Using the trackball with a dirty finger could lead to gunk getting in the trackball. Keys also seem so much closer together on the BB then the treo. The new BB has the wow factor the 600 had a few years ago.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The 755p's are all out right now but here's a shot of an xv6700, the 8830, a Moto Q and a 700wx. The xv6700 and the 700wx are almost the same size. The Q and 8830 are also almost the same. The 8830 is wider and taller, but thinner from the side than the 755p.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have a Q with Exchange service. Typically email will hit my Q before it hits my desktop. Love that. However, if everyone really likes the Q, be prepared to spend $50/ea. for a Seidio 2100 extended battery. It is useless as a real phone for sales guys w/o an extended battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Kind of off topic, but I just realized today when setting up a coworks UTC 6700 to my 650 is that they are about the same size, yet the treo looks lighter. The BB looks like a gorgeous device and in testing I loved it, but the trackball is an issue. Using the trackball with a dirty finger could lead to gunk getting in the trackball. Keys also seem so much closer together on the BB then the treo. The new BB has the wow factor the 600 had a few years ago.
    I have a 755p and a 8830 in front of me. Wish I had time to do a real review. Both are sleek devices; 8830 probably has the edge on sleekness and design. Keyboard Treo wins!!. No lag on the 8830, 755p does have some lag. Worldmate Professional has features of planning you own trip. The 8830 does not allow this. I think Bible programs are easier on the Treo. Email is nice on the Blackberry (should be for the $25 additional in data I will pay with the BB. battery easier to remove on the Treo. Treo 755p can take a 4 gb card, do not think that the Micro Sd has 4 gb yet. BB8830 comes with a nice case. I think the screen wins on the BB. BB has a intergrated spell checker. Navigation is not bad on the BB, kinda of like it. It is going to be a difficult decision for me to make on which phone to keep. I like the idea of the CDMA and GSM but I will not use the GSM feature for a while but I would use camera. I have had 2 freezes on the BB 8830, Treo I know has some resets.
    I am still upset with Palm for not taking care of us! Tht is why I am looking at the BB.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I really liked the idea of an internal GPS. However, it often lags so far behind that I'm a full block ahead of the display. Maybe you can help me with something.... have you noticed how you can drive right off the map during GPS Navigation with directions? You have to manually move the map to re-align your current position. Have you figured out a way around this? I typically use iGuidance on my 700wx which is full-featured but more expensive and requires an external bluetooth sat receiver.
    The case is a nice touch - magnetic flap too.