Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I read my morning emails out in the courtyard under sunlight instead of indoors under fluorescents. Quick emails I can respond to immediately, long ones I'll just deal with when I get to my desk.
    Under my roof, I see anyone twiddling with his thumbs while he has a full size keyboard and screen a few steps away, only thing he gonna be using his Treo for is to log onto monster.com I keep a little army shovel in the back of my car for emergencies....when I am on construction sites, I don't do any digging with it. Comes in handy when I am in a pinch say during a snow storm but if I gonna plant a 6' douglas fir in my yard, I simply can me a lot more efficient walking into the garage and grabbing a full size tool. The quirky little jack that is stuffed into some cubby hole in ya car works in a pinch (flat tire) but ya don't see them in use at a mechanic's garage nor do I even use one in my driveway when I rotate the tires.....I have a pump jack and garage style 4 way lug wrench for that stuff.

I'll also often be in my boss's office for an ad-hoc meeting, and he'll email me a doc or xls and I'll read it right there instead of looking over his shoulder.
    You guys are in the same room and yas are e-mailing each other ? Did it perhaps occur to this boss to send you the file before calling you into his office ? Does this xls have no more than 3 columns and 4 rows ? I challenge anyone with one hand tied behind my back.....I have a doc open on my screen....I can print it, get it from the printer and be back in my chair before anyone can:

Open their e-mail program
    type an name or address
    hit send
    wait for it to be processed and received
    get ya treo outta its case or off ya belt
    navigate to the e-mail program
    open the appropriate account
    search thru the headers
    download the file
    navigate to the mini spreadsheet program
    find and open the file

I wont even count having to scroll back and forth and up and down to read all 12 columns and 24 rows

Not only will I have it first but I will have grabbed a cup of coffee on the way and I can see all 16 columns and all 24 rows at the same time.

Besides that, I always have access to my calendar and notes which wouldn't be the case with a laptop since even if it was extremely small it wouldn't always be with me. It doesn't replace a laptop generally but augments and reduces the frequency I have to lug the thing around with me.
    Treo's in my shirt pocket all the time....if I am at my desk, I look at the screen.....if I in someone else's office, I yank the treo outta my pocket. Time management means scheduling things for when you can perform the tasks most efficiently. Not every e-mail needs to be responded to in 60 seconds. If I open my treo and see 60 messages, I might respond to 3....2 of those will be with phone calls. Another 5 of them might involve a single call to my office where I can have mundane tasks performed by persons of a more appropriate salary level for such tasks. The rest can be handled within a time frame that is based upon need and efficiency.

I don't have to pull over in my car, find a park bench, answer 60 e-mails when I can have a good portion of the required actions handled by others, by phone calls or that simply can wait till I am back in the office and have a "full size tool" to work with.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I don't know, I really like sitting under the magnolia tree in the courtyard and read my morning email. I go for walks by the canals near my work and 'work'. And usually when I need to look at something in a spreadsheet during a meeting I'm looking at a few cells to tell my boss if his estimates are sane, so I don't really need all the data. I can pull up a Word doc with stuff when I need it, even though I wasn't planning on needing it (and so didn't lug my laptop).

If you don't think it matters for you then great, I'm not saying everyone should use a handheld. Do what works for you.

(I like your avatar BTW) I sure would have loved to have a Treo on Dead tour to Google map my *** back to the main highway to get to the show on time. I guess it was living on the road for a long time that made having an office in my pocket a 'holy grail'. My workday is both extended and shortened by having a Treo. I can leave work early because I can 'work' on my commute home. I don't have to log in at home because my Treo will tell me if I have something I need to attend to. I can just glance at any mail that arrives casually and go to my desk if I need to deal with it in depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    I only have an hour for lunch. Can't imagine waiting for waitress to thumb type my order. Besides, waitresses / bartenders already have a tablet PC, only they call it a cash register. Tab the table number on the floor plan, tap the number of people, hit person 1, select from the appetizer list, select the from the entree list, etc. Been that way since I tended bar and I gave that up in the 80's..
    This is obviously more McDonald's than Café Rouge, but I have seen people working the line talking orders on industrial PDA's by Symbol. Dont they do the same thing at some Apple stores?

Surur
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I don't know, I really like sitting under the magnolia tree in the courtyard and read my morning email. I go for walks by the canals near my work and 'work'.....If you don't think it matters for you then great, I'm not saying everyone should use a handheld. Do what works for you.
    I am not saying Treos aren't usefil....every tool is useful when used in its proper setting. What I am saying is that far too many people overuse a tool because ot's "cool" or because they are attempting to impress someone. Bosses are not impressed by cool, bosses are interested in production.

In today's environment with outsourcing, B-visas, stagnant economy, etc., a worker has to be productive.....it doesn't matter how hard one tried or how many hours they put in, what matters is the bottom line. Two people in a position when one has to be cut, the boss doesn't think who gets more personal satisfaction outta their job, he asks himself who is most productive. If I am watching someone in my office twiddling his thumbs on a a Treo when there's a full size tool at his desk a few feet away, he just sank on my list.

(I like your avatar BTW) I sure would have loved to have a Treo on Dead tour to Google map my *** back to the main highway to get to the show on time. I guess it was living on the road for a long time that made having an office in my pocket a 'holy grail'.
    Efficiency, efficiency ! Don't waste time loading google maps and studying the routes before ya leave the parking lot.....beat the traffic, head outta da parking lot and fire TomTom up on ya Treo.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I think it is just common sense. You don't use a screwdriver as a hammer and vice versa. You might be able to get a screw in somehow with a hammer but it will be messy, and getting a nail out with a screwdriver could be dangerous.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12