Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Having read all the speculation threads on here for over a year now, there will not be anything new and innovative from Palm, end of story.
    "New treo to not have a touchscreen" is one leak or rumor.
    In a day and age where the whole damn planet is moving to touch everything too. HTC, iphone, Surface, and how many countless other things that are coming. That is backing up for ya.
    If a new Treo shows up without it, there is the last nail in the coffin. Hell, I can not imagine how many more Blackjacks would be sold if it were to have a touchscreen.

Palm got me for a Treo 650 back when because there was nothing else like it, but not again. There is way too much comp. out there now.
    Foleo, proof that a once smart guy can have a brainfart like anyone else. Would VH1 call him a one hit wonder? I wonder. Why would I want that, the size of a small laptop when you could have a real laptop and just sync with it.
    I bet I could count on one hand the number of threads that have had any useful information in them over the past year, the rest has all been "well I heard" crap.
    Sorry for the rant but between a hundred treo 800 this and treo that threads, tossed in with threads about the Jesusphone from jobs, it is more than annoying.
    I am starting to wonder why I bother anymore.
    "Flame suit on" but it is the truth.
    Oh shut up already... Who cares about your opinion.
    Disregard the second poster's comment. This is an open forum. People can say whatever they want however often they want..
    I hear your opinion and happen to sympathize with you on this. Any reasonable person must realize that Palm is, in fact, treading water anymore.

A simple comparison of Palm's stock with Rimm's stock will reveal this.

The 800w pics? Pfft. What prevents HTC from producing a device which provides the very same form and function with additional features?

The treo may not be dead just yet, but it certainly looks to be on life support, as palm seems to be after 25% of the company was sold to private investors. Palm's innovation is certainly dead, and pulse of the company is most definitely slowing as the ridiculous fooleo distracts their limited resources away from what SHOULD be their main focus - the smartphone.

Palm is bush league.
    Three letters are giving them another chance for me...ALP.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Three letters are giving them another chance for me...ALP.
    I think you're confusing things. Palm has no intention of using ALP which I doubt we'll ever see here in the U.S.. Palm made their own UI for a different linux OS that is under wraps but there is no deal in place for them to use ALP.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think you're confusing things. Palm has no intention of using ALP which I doubt we'll ever see here in the U.S.. Palm made their own UI for a different linux OS that is under wraps but there is no deal in place for them to use ALP.
    Actually I am not confused...that was my humor leading to the fact Palm will not be able to hit one out of the park for me and I will most likely be jumping ship when my contract is up.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Actually I am not confused...that was my humor leading to the fact Palm will not be able to hit one out of the park for me and I will most likely be jumping ship when my contract is up.
    lol...ahhhh

eh, I'm willing to hold out. If they meet their design goals for the OS (long battery life, touch friendly, consumer orientated, multi-tasking, simple and instant) it could give WM a nice run. In fact, seeing as they know WM so well and consider that their "business" end, they'll probably define POSII in opposition to WM, filling in all the defects (speed, GUI, etc.).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm looking and reading about all the new devices... and I still love my tre 700wx...

What we are waiting for -- and has to be arriving -- is a true treo killer... so far, for me, that has not arrived... palm has made mistakes, but it is not dead... yet.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I think your opinion might change as rimm readies a new blackberry equipped with both wifi AND a camera. If it runs ev-do also, the contest is over. .
    I can agree with a lot that is posted here. However, and thatis only because I have yet to play with an iPhone, the UI of the Treo lineup has been a lot better and is something that keep me using it despite an N95 in the stable. Yes, the Treo should have more features, better graphics, etc., it doesn't and we are seeing now in competition that has caught up why that does and doesn't matter.

I wrote a piece on my personal site last weekend about how I like my 680, but rather than just its functional, it should be fun. I hope that Palm could address that. And at the same time, I don't hold my breath knowing that if a Treo couldn't, that something else could.

And even saying all of that, a pastor friend of mine who has a 700w was floored when he heard the music coming from pTunes on my 680-8GB; that much did help me smile some.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    You can just barely perceive... the lights dimming... as the spotlight turns away... and Palm fades into irrelevance...

It is sad really, I've been with Palm since its 1st PDA, the Pilot 1000. And I'm holding out with my current phone, which runs PalmOS... but the writing is on the wall... unless a miracle happens... and Palm wakes from its death-dream state and actually makes an astonishingly brilliant move... but I'm not holding my breath...

Its like that Mimi Rogers movie, The Rapture, and the whole world has gone on to the hereafter, but there is Mimi/Palm standing alone, refusing to bend to the will and wants of the market... and the lights start to go out, one by one... til... nothing is left...

Or the scene in Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, where regularly the people go to listen to the future visions of Hari Seldon (Palm), who had been such a omniscent guiding force in the past... But, unexpectedly, The Mule/iPhone hit the market, and its impact altered the market's expectations so thoroughly. Now the people again turned to Hari/Palm, to listen to Palm, waiting for a bold response, that it knew all along that the iPhone would arrive, and that it had a masterful answer to once again take the lead. But what's this ? The Folly-Oh ? Huh ? The people are in an uproar... Palm is *totally* clueless!!! What Palm is saying cannot even be heard over the loud roar of the incredulous market, that cannot believe that Palm is so, so off base that it is now completely irrelevant...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    You can just barely perceive... the lights dimming... as the spotlight turns away... and Palm fades into irrelevance...

It is sad really, I've been with Palm since its 1st PDA, the Pilot 1000. And I'm holding out with my current phone, which runs PalmOS... but the writing is on the wall... unless a miracle happens... and Palm wakes from its death-dream state and actually makes an astonishingly brilliant move... but I'm not holding my breath...

Its like that Mimi Rogers movie, The Rapture, and the whole world has gone on to the hereafter, but there is Mimi/Palm standing alone, refusing to bend to the will and wants of the market... and the lights start to go out, one by one... til... nothing is left...

Or the scene in Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, where regularly the people go to listen to the future visions of Hari Seldon (Palm), who had been such a omniscent guiding force in the past... But, unexpectedly, The Mule/iPhone hit the market, and its impact altered the market's expectations so thoroughly. Now the people again turned to Hari/Palm, to listen to Palm, waiting for a bold response, that it knew all along that the iPhone would arrive, and that it had a masterful answer to once again take the lead. But what's this ? The Folly-Oh ? Huh ? The people are in an uproar... Palm is *totally* clueless!!! What Palm is saying cannot even be heard over the loud roar of the incredulous market, that cannot believe that Palm is so, so off base that it is now completely irrelevant...

At the risk of sounding a bit dramatic, I can already hear the light switches beginning to be thrown as we speak, neurocutie.
    Yast
    Japt

(just another palm tool)
    06/30/07 (about the iPhone)
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I'm with you, eric. My wife and I are getting ready for the big switch here. We caught the fever after picking it up - in a word - wow.
    07/04/07
    I'm with you, morningstar! My wife and I will both be switching to blackberries very shortly too. Can't wait.
    07/08/07
    Its not a matter of patience. Its a matter of what is easy to use right out of the box vs what is slow and cumbersome and requires a great deal of patchwork and tweaking before achieving a somewhat tolerable level of usefulness.

I think we can do without the excuses for windows already. It is what it is. While multitasking is nice, wm should not be as cumbersome as it is. It should be quick and easy right out of the box.

The palm os smartphone is, windows smartphones are not.

I'd rather leave it at THAT.

d e m o c r a t

(democrat)
    all products eventually die off...the Treo had a good run
    Original quote from benzslrpee:
    all products eventually die off...the Treo had a good run
    I hope that's not true. I just recently switched to Treo after holding out with my trusty UX50 hoping for something better. It didn't happen, but it combined two devices into one and saved space. I know everyone is ranting, but if I didn't already own an iPod and all the accessories, the Treo 700p actually replaces three devices. I already own all of the software that I need and most software that I want.
    Most of the people that I know with Blackberries only use them for e-mail. I see that it can be used for entertainment, but they don't appear to use if for that. The iPhone looks great, but it doesn't have the functionality. Although they don't have it now, they will if they need it. Remember new Macs can also run windows.
    I'm hoping that Palm sees the writing and does something that Sony didn't with the Clie, provide something to their faithful customers. As my desktop wines and begins to make more and more noise, the Mac is looking pretty good.
    I have a new Treo, but I've seen Palm's LifeDrive with low staying power if my Treo dies out w/o new innovations from palm to replace it, the Blackberry may be the way to go. Hopefully, my Treo will have staying power which gives Palm about 5 years.
    I.D.I.O.T
    (*****)

Hey, sxtg, let me spell things out for you since you need help.

My phone of choice is now a blackberry. We liked the iphone but decided to hold off since we want to stay with sprint. The third quote was relevant to a windoze vs palm debate. Windoze is cumbersome, palm os is easier to use. That doesn't mean I prefer palm os over blackberry.

simple. Now go back to your useless trolling.

T.R.O.L.L
    (troll)
    Last edited by treobk214; 07/10/2007 at 07:49 AM.
    Personally, I don't think that the iPhone is the Treo killer that everyone makes it out to be. I had the opportunity to play with one this past weekend in the Apple store, and walked away perfectly happy that I had a Treo 650 on my belt. My wife has a Blackberry Pearl, and she also wasn't thrilled with the iPhone. What are it's shortcomings? One word - keyboard. The current implementation only allows the landscape mode keyboard in Safari, portrait everywhere else. That eliminates me using my thumb - I found I had to use my forefinger. I can type with my thumbs on the Treo. For my wife - she found out that the screen only responds to skin-to-screen contact, and since she has nails - she ran into problems doing ANYTHING with it. We're sticking with what we've got for now, although I see the prices on 680's are dropping so I may upgrade...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Phrogpilot, I can understand what your situation is with the iphone's lack of keyboard. That was part of the reason why we ended up leaning more toward the blackberry in the end.

I still think the iphone is pretty damn cool though. I will take another look at it when and if sprint carries future renditions of apple`s little beauty down the road.
    Last edited by treobk214; 07/10/2007 at 08:54 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast