Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm not 100% certain why everyone compares the iPhone and Treo. They are made for two completely different markets. I YouTubed Jobes' intro of the iPhone...not ONCE in the entire video did he mention "PDA" or "PDA functions". It was never meant to compete with that market. It's a device that replaces a media player and a cell phone (so they won't have to carry two devices). The Treo replaces your PDA and phone (so that you don't have to carry two devices). It really boils down to which you want with you 100% of the time, your MP3 player, or your PDA.

For me, it's my PDA (which happens to play songs as well). I can perfectly understand how, for others, it will be their MP3 player (which has a few minor PDA functions).

That said...if Apple decided to add fully syncable easy to use PDA functionality in the iPhone, and Palm decided to add a kick-*** media player into the Treo, I think Palm would be in trouble (based on overall form factor, usability and screen size). Until that happens though, why compare the two???
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I'm not 100% certain why everyone compares the iPhone and Treo. They are made for two completely different markets. I YouTubed Jobes' intro of the iPhone...not ONCE in the entire video did he mention "PDA" or "PDA functions". It was never meant to compete with that market. It's a device that replaces a media player and a cell phone (so they won't have to carry two devices). The Treo replaces your PDA and phone (so that you don't have to carry two devices). It really boils down to which you want with you 100% of the time, your MP3 player, or your PDA.

For me, it's my PDA (which happens to play songs as well). I can perfectly understand how, for others, it will be their MP3 player (which has a few minor PDA functions).

That said...if Apple decided to add fully syncable easy to use PDA functionality in the iPhone, and Palm decided to add a kick-*** media player into the Treo, I think Palm would be in trouble (based on overall form factor, usability and screen size). Until that happens though, why compare the two???
    That's about as concise and well written as I have seen on the subject. Absolutely true and hopefully a little more intelligence to keep every interesting thread from turning into the latest iPhone review.
    Patrick Horne
    I'm not 100% certain why everyone compares the iPhone and Treo. They are made for two completely different markets. I YouTubed Jobes' intro of the iPhone...not ONCE in the entire video did he mention "PDA" or "PDA functions".
    While I agree he never said it, it was all the implications: namely that slide where he puts up a Treo, BB and I believe Nokia. One slide is him referring to their "poor keyboards" the other was a graph showing how they were "not so smart, smartphones".

Combine that with the spec list where they compared them to Treos, BBs and other high-end smartphones and the implication is there.

So while I agree with your point: they are not comparible/different markets, the implication is that the iPhone is a smartphone/pda and superior to what is available. To discerning eyes, this is not the case.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

What do you do if you want a device to replace your PDA, Phone, and MP3 player? What do you do if you want that same device to surf the web and have the HD space to store your entire music library?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    What do you do if you want a device to replace your PDA, Phone, and MP3 player? What do you do if you want that same device to surf the web and have the HD space to store your entire music library?
    You wait for the next phone that is 5 years ahead of any other phone
    You have to just keep wanting because that device doesn't exist at this time.
    The only close solution is a treo with an 8gb sd card. This assumes of course that your music library is under 8gigs.
    Well sorry all, I went and bought a Nokia n800 that will eventually replace my Treo 650. The thing resets constantly and almost through it through a glass window the other day. Once my contract is near over, I am going for a Razor to tether it and dsl speed here I come. I would rather have three devices than one that is a constant pain and with no hope of a replacement. I am doing this despite $$ of software that is on it. Also the n800 is Linux based, not Palm or WinDoze.
    I'm not 100% certain why everyone compares the iPhone and Treo. They are made for two completely different markets.
    Well you have oft heard the reason why men buy big cars and buy sports cars ..... and the reason usually has to do with the word "compensation" and generally refers to shortcomings of an anatomical nature. For many, the argument is not whether the device fills their needs, it "whose is bigger".

The Treo becomes part of many gadgeteer's identity. To many the gadget is not a tool to accomplish a set of tasks, it's a representation of oneself. If my gadget is very capable by inference, I must be giving the impression that I am very capable. Two guys sitting across from a conference table e-mailing xls files to one another has actually been given as a reason to have one of these devices. Most business owners / managers would consider it a reason for dismissal.

The fact that their devices are not seen by all as being the "be all and end all" of gadgetdom is a personal affront which must be defended at all costs. Ever notice that statements by users who say "I don't need that" are most often answered by "What if you are...." statements rather than "I do this every day" statements

Ever notice that people who "need these devices to efficiently squeeze their work into their very busy days" have time to post (are they thumb typing I wonder ?) repeated responses to threads challenging the universal superiority of their devices no matter whether you are the CEO of General Motors, the bus boy at McDonalds or unemployed ?
    damn, Jack, do you ever actually make a point or do you just like to psycho-analyze these unmentioned posters and hear yourself ramble? And way to go with out-dated Freudian analogies.

Your post had nothing to do with what Laxidasical posted: the Treo and iPhone are 2 separate markets.

Nothing about "features", "gadgets" or hypothetical posters and their shortcomings as human-beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    While I agree he never said it, it was all the implications: namely that slide where he puts up a Treo, BB and I believe Nokia. One slide is him referring to their "poor keyboards" the other was a graph showing how they were "not so smart, smartphones".

So while I agree with your point: they are not comparible/different markets, the implication is that the iPhone is a smartphone/pda and superior to what is available. To discerning eyes, this is not the case.
    who cares if the iPhone is a smartphone or not? it's just a device. if it works for you (in other words, meets your needs and wants) then great. if it doesn't, select some other device or keep the one you have. if someone believes that the iPhone is superior to what is available, who cares! don't so many around here think that their Treos are superior to all else?

hec, so many around here have given up on their Treos....just like the original poster...oh, and the mighty Surur...does he even own one?

some eyes don't care about what you might see and not see, they only care if it looks good to them.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    the Treo and iPhone are 2 separate markets.
    they are part of one market perhaps belonging to different segments of the greater whole. i would bet you that to most of consumer America they only belong to one, the "cell phone" market.

who in the $%#% cares!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    who cares if the iPhone is a smartphone or not? it's just a device. if it works for you (in other words, meets your needs and wants) then great. if it doesn't, select some other device or keep the one you have. if someone believes that the iPhone is superior to what is available, who cares! don't so many around here think that their Treos are superior to all else?

hec, so many around here have given up on their Treos....just like the original poster...oh, and the mighty Surur...does he even own one?

some eyes don't care about what you might see and not see, they only care if it looks good to them.
    I see you are off on a rant again.

In fact, I do not care. All my post did was respond to this:

I'm not 100% certain why everyone compares the iPhone and Treo. They are made for two completely different markets.
    I then explained why some people would compare the two without necessarily endorsing whether it is a good thing or bad (namely, allusions made to the comparison by Apple themselves).

they are part of one market perhaps belonging to different segments of the greater whole. i would bet you that to most of consumer America they only belong to one, the "cell phone" market.

who in the $%#% cares!
    I don't know, you seem to care hence why you are taking a position on the matter.

Yes, we can divy up markets and say "they're all phones" but that misses the point: Windows Mobile is, first and foremost, a business-orientated device meant to leverage MS's Exchange system for Corporations.

That is why WM exists and what it is developed for. It is officially not branded by MS as a consumer, entertainment device. This is not controversial. WM6 extends that even further with the additional Exchange 2007 support.

Fortunately, it has a robust core (WinCE) and is flexible enough to be adapted for more pro-sumer devices (some better attempts than others) but that is up to the OEM, like Amp'd's MotoQ with the Flash-liter interface.

The iPhone officially is not a business nor corporate device as of this moment. It is a high end "X" device (I leave out commitment to smartphone or not) for consumers.

That is a different market and uncontroversial. It does not endorse one over the other either.

So quit trying to make a fire where there is not even smoke.

i see that you just can't let it be, maybe it's you that really cares. but so very much like all the rest of your posts you have to interject a bit of derision to sway perception. i'm not on a rant, just trying to quell the continued stupidity.

WM, robust core, pro-sumer. oem's......high end X device.......amd'ds, flash-liter interface......You think many consumers out there really care about this when they walk into their local provider retail store? again, i think many around here care, not the average consumer who is most probably responsible for the hefty percentage of all pda/smartphone/dumbphone device type sales (outside of the Blackberry of course

hey, Mal....psst...."he never said it"...tell your friends.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 07/19/2007 at 09:40 PM.
    but so very much like all the rest of your posts you have to interject a bit of derision to sway perception. i'm not on a rant, just trying to quell the continued stupidity.
    wow. irony? so I add derison but you quelling stupidity is honorable.

You are a rare speciem to be so hypocritical in the same sentence.

I see you also missed the point of my post: 2 separate markets.

Instead you focused on a straw-man: my non-endorsement of WM devices adapting for MM purposes. I think the moto q flash-lite is a joke as well as most attempts to make WM something it is not (a professional/corporate device at the core).

Yet you framed it as if I think consumers care. Fact is *I* don't care since that was not my point.

Are you this lonely that you *need* to create arguments when there are none?

nice try, Mal.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    nice try, Mal.
    It's not hard to prove you cannot make an consistent argument.

It's also not hard to prove that you sought an argument when there was none, chasing ghosts here at TC so you can play victim.

I claim no skill in that fact, a child could do so.

But please, take the time and respond to more of my posts so I can show everyone what you are: a thread crapper & a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    You have to just keep wanting because that device doesn't exist at this time.
    The only close solution is a treo with an 8gb sd card. This assumes of course that your music library is under 8gigs.
    My music library is over 20g.
    My music library is over 20g.
    http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/03/27/htc_shift_1.jpg

The HTC Shift

"Why should I compromise?"
    Yesterday you might have traded off some productivity for the sake of portability. Today there's been a tectonic shift: the HTC Shift, a brilliant new paradigm for true mobile computing.

By melding the power of Windows Vista with hyper-fast 3G connectivity, the HTC Shift delivers extraordinary functional clout in a sleek, light-weight design.

Remember when a high-volume hard drive and a comfortable keyboard took up a lot of room? That was then, this is now. Make the HTC Shift, to the ultimate in smart mobility.

Key Features
    7-inch widescreen display
    30-gigabyte hard drive
    QWERTY keyboard
    Microsoft Vista Business OS
    Windows Media Player 11
    Tri-Band UMTS/HSDPA
    Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03...s_vista_shift/

Surur
    Traded off my Palm 700p for a Blackberry 8830. See ya Palm.
    Your post had nothing to do with what Laxidasical posted:
    Really now ? Apparently you rushed through and didn't read lax's post.

"
    I am not 100% sure why peoples compare the iPhone and the Treo"
    That was what was said. Now go slowly, read the above statement and it's plain as day that my answer does tells why many insist on comparing them.

the Treo and iPhone are 2 separate markets.
    Which makes it quite senseless to compare them feature list versus feature list on on any logical basis. Since we are agreeing it's not logical, there must be some explanation. I gave one for one segment of that population
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast