1.    #1  
    Am I missing something? Thereís been loads of discussion here about the Foolio, both pro and con. There have been numerous discussions of what the Treoís lackingÖ.the new Linux OS, Wi-Fi, more memory, better resolution, a better camera, an overreliance on branded models, etc. New model after new model comes out with only minimal improvements. And I certainly agree!!! Palm, which once manufactured bleeding-edge product after product, now seems to be releasing one disappointment after another.

Yet, relatively unmentioned is IMHO their most egregious mistake! Seven months after its release, Palm has still failed to provide workable desktop software for its flagship product, the Treo Smartphone! This isnít some piece of peripheral software! Without workable desktop software you canít sync the phone. Itís virtually an unusable piece of junk!

I recently bought a new laptop with Vista, and have found it impossible to work, even in a limited degree, with Palmís current software. Fortunately, I still have my old laptop with XP installed. So, my beautiful new laptop is relegated to being my second computer, as daily Treo synchronization is a MUST!

And Iím fortunate! At least I still have an XP computer to sync my Treo. What about those who now only have Vista? Are they supposed to just put their $600 Treo in a drawer and forget about it until Palm can come up with working software thatís compatible with Microsoftís current operating system???

This is HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE of PalmÖ.very unbusinesslike, and beyond inconsiderate of their loyal customers!!!
    The Treo 600 may be "Buck Rogers," but Handspring Customer Service is strictly "Moe, Larry, and Curly"!!!
    chapura does a good job filling the gap.

that has really been the key to palms success.

build somwthing and let other companies fill the gap.
  3.    #3  
    Silly me! When I drop $600 on a new device, I expect it to work right out of the box! I'm not a computer geek, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to be one. I don't feel I should have to tweak Palm's software to just to get their product to do what it's supposed to do.

I just find it UNBELIEVABLE that Palm continues to introduce new products and sell existing products apparently TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to the fact that they are unworkable with Microsoft's current operating system.

If you're not currently using Vista, you will be in the near future, like it or not. And the fact that third party companies may or may not be providing a workaround for Palm's grossly inadequate software is simply no excuse for Palm's failure to provide a working product!!!

This attitude clearly shows Palm's total comtempt for its customers!
    The Treo 600 may be "Buck Rogers," but Handspring Customer Service is strictly "Moe, Larry, and Curly"!!!
    Palm does not own Palm Desktop, it is now property of Access Co.; the result of their purchase of PalmSource.

I do not believe that Palm has the right to modify Palm Desktop. They are likely waiting on Access just like they waited for Cobalt, a long bug and feature list for Garnet, and PalmSource's abandoned Linux effort. Access is now developing a different Linux OS, called ALP, which reportedly will have a compatibility layer for Garnet.

Palm does have a perpetual license to Garnet and can modify it, thus they are working on a new version of PalmOS to run on Linux. I don't know how desktop or sync figure into this project.
    Listen to how that sounds....

" Palm doesn't have the rights to modify palm desktop"....

It doesn't get anymore ridiculous than that. Palm doesn't have the rights or the ability to enhance its own products.

I wouldn't think a company stands any chance at all of achieving major league success in corporate business going forward with that kind of practice.

Palm is the bush league of the smartphone industry. Plain and simple.

God forbid they deliver anything more than just the minimum necessary to get by.

They don't have an aggressive philosophy to succeed, but rather a philosophy which seems to say," all we want to do is just stay alive, nothing more".
    Where is my Vista Update!!!!!!!
    What you are suggesting is akin to expecting Motorola, Palm or Samsung having ownership of Microsoft's ActiveSync and Outlook for the Q, 700w, 700wx, 750, 750v and Blackjack.

Time for a corporate history lesson (from preliminary proxy filed by Palm with SEC in the last week).

In December 2001, Palm formed PalmSource, Inc., or PalmSource, a stand-alone subsidiary for its operating system business. On October 28, 2003, Palm distributed all of the shares of PalmSource common stock held by Palm to Palm stockholders.
    There's a Palm desktop?
    What's wrong with syncing with Outlook (if you're not a Mac user)? Outlook is better than anything Palm has (and can provide)?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    yep. I think I've read about it on the chapura site. It's a kind of driver for keysuite to work :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    What you are suggesting is akin to expecting Motorola, Palm or Samsung having ownership of Microsoft's ActiveSync and Outlook for the Q, 700w, 700wx, 750, 750v and Blackjack.

Time for a corporate history lesson (from preliminary proxy filed by Palm with SEC in the last week).

In December 2001, Palm formed PalmSource, Inc., or PalmSource, a stand-alone subsidiary for its operating system business. On October 28, 2003, Palm distributed all of the shares of PalmSource common stock held by Palm to Palm stockholders.
    There is no need for a "history lesson". Please. Ive been here since the treo 300. Your little lesson is for someone else, there detective.

The application is called "palm desktop". The company "palm", has no rights to modify the "palm desktop". That is the point. I am aware that the palmsource spinoff is the reason their hands are tied now, but what i am getting at is that Palm was monumentally stupid for selling those rights off.

Why? The palm desktop usability is a critical key to the success of their smartphones. Why would you sell such a critical component to the product model off?
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    What's wrong with syncing with Outlook (if you're not a Mac user)? Outlook is better than anything Palm has (and can provide)?
    I agree about outlook being better than palm desktop, but outlook doesn't ship with vista, its part of the office bundle... theres no way to sync the treo to the vista mail client(windows mail)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    There is no need for a "history lesson". Please. Ive been here since the treo 300. Your little lesson is for someone else, there detective.

The application is called "palm desktop". The company "palm", has no rights to modify the "palm desktop". That is the point. I am aware that the palmsource spinoff is the reason their hands are tied now, but what i am getting at is that Palm was monumentally stupid for selling those rights off.

Why? The palm desktop usability is a critical key to the success of their smartphones. Why would you sell such a critical component to the product model off?
    I think it's time to let go of the current Palm OS and move on to WM or wait for the Linux POS...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Silly me! When I drop $600 on a new device, I expect it to work right out of the box! I'm not a computer geek, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to be one. I don't feel I should have to tweak Palm's software to just to get their product to do what it's supposed to do.

I just find it UNBELIEVABLE that Palm continues to introduce new products and sell existing products apparently TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to the fact that they are unworkable with Microsoft's current operating system.

If you're not currently using Vista, you will be in the near future, like it or not. And the fact that third party companies may or may not be providing a workaround for Palm's grossly inadequate software is simply no excuse for Palm's failure to provide a working product!!!

This attitude clearly shows Palm's total comtempt for its customers!
    from what i have seen, many of palm's customers ARE computer geek-types that enjoy tweaking the device. i know that is why i got one. i personally like the fact that 3rd party apps make the thing run. it means that people can add to it what they see fit and not have to be a slave to the manufacturer.

i don't use palm desktop, i use outlook (if someone has a palm, i am willing to bet they have office) - i also have vista. i just email myself the programs and docs that i want to put on my phone. its really pretty easy. highlight items that i would normally drag to the quick installer, right click, select send to email recip. and voila. check email and done.

not too hard.

you should go buy an iphone.
  15. Tec
    If you're not currently using Vista, you will be in the near future, like it or not.
    Speak for yourself. Vista is not even close to a must-have upgrade. It's one of the most consumer-hostile products ever, and MS expects you to pay for it? I pay for things that are good for me, not stuff that does this:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html <<- [That's a must-read if you're considering Vista]

There's a great Palm desktop software package, it's called Palm Desktop and it works well. If the OP switched to Vista, that's his(or her) fault. Vista is clearly not a Windows compatible operating system. Complain to Microsoft, not Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTpusher View Post
    from what i have seen, many of palm's customers ARE computer geek-types that enjoy tweaking the device. i know that is why i got one. i personally like the fact that 3rd party apps make the thing run. it means that people can add to it what they see fit and not have to be a slave to the manufacturer.

i don't use palm desktop, i use outlook (if someone has a palm, i am willing to bet they have office) - i also have vista. i just email myself the programs and docs that i want to put on my phone. its really pretty easy. highlight items that i would normally drag to the quick installer, right click, select send to email recip. and voila. check email and done.

not too hard.

That's all well and good (and what I want to do) but don't you have to have Palm Desktop installed for the hotsync to run for Outlook? I haven't looked into it but I would assume you'd need HotSync installed for the syncing to take place, regardless of if you sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop.

?
  17.    #17  

not too hard.

This is the type of computer geek arrogance that has given most techie firms their well-deserved reputation for the worst customer service on the planet!!! If we're not geeks, then we must be stupid!

Just because customers can't write to the sector editor doesn't mean they don't have smartphone needs a bit more sophisticated than that of the iPhone. There are some really great third party apps that simply aren't available for the iPhone. When we buy a product we shouldn't be expected to understand all the internals. We buy a product TO DO A JOB, not to give us a techie fix!

And, I'm truly glad that Palm satisifies your techie fix. Just please try to be tolerant of others who don't get their jollies the same way you do! Believe it or not, there are lots of smart people out there who don't want to spend all their free time tweaking their purchases, but would rather concentrate on that product's applications.

And the first rule of marketing is to expand your marketing base. Market Palm to techies only and you have a small customer base. Market a product that works well out of the box for non-techies, and still gives the techies a product to play with, and you've got the makings of a great product with lots of sales potential!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec View Post
    Speak for yourself. Vista is not even close to a must-have upgrade. It's one of the most consumer-hostile products ever, and MS expects you to pay for it? I pay for things that are good for me, not stuff that does this:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html <<- [That's a must-read if you're considering Vista]

There's a great Palm desktop software package, it's called Palm Desktop and it works well. If the OP switched to Vista, that's his(or her) fault. Vista is clearly not a Windows compatible operating system. Complain to Microsoft, not Palm.
    It's MY FAULT because I'm using Microsoft's current OS??? I shouldn't use Vista because Palm hasn't gotten around to updating their sofware??? I can't believe I'm reading this here!!!

Let's see, according to you....Microsoft came up with a new operating system, but Palm didn't update their software. So that's MICROSOFT'S FAULT??? I blame Microsoft for LOTS of today's computer woes, but that isn't one of them! Vista has been in development for years, and Microsoft has been sharing their info freely with third party manufacturers. And most manufacturers have managed to produce Vista-compatible software for their products. But Palm hasn't....and it's Microsoft's fault????

If you want an argument from me about Vista being crap, you won't get it! But this is nothing new. Microsoft has been foisting overly complex and grossly buggy operating systems on us for years. Their last stable OS was DOS 6.2 / Windows 3.11. Windows 95 was a complete nightmare! Windows 98 was a little better, but only after 98SE, and then only relative to Win95. Windows XP was a bit more stable, but at the expense of backward compatibility.

Even with all the years MS has been working on OSs, the Blue Screen of Death is familiar to all Windows users. Not one of Microsoft's OSs has ever come close to the stability of Apple's or Linux. And, just as MS begins to get their current OS working semi-properly, they decide they need more money, so they sell us a new OS, and we begin the hassle all over again!

But, until the govt. really cracks down on MS, Linux becomes user-friendly, or enough programs are written for OS X, then we and all the third-party companies will have to learn to adapt to Microsoft.

The ugly reality is that most of us use Microsoft Operating Systems, either XP or Vista. Like it or not, MS will eventually withdraw support for XP. But, on the bright side, MS will come out with patches and Service Packs for Vista that will make it at least a workable operating system.

And like it or not, Palm and other companies will eventually have to make their products compatible with Vista, or face going out of business. Most have already, but Palm (as usual) is still dragging its feet. No Vista desktop, no Palm Linux OS, no WiFi, no significant improvements to their smartphones....but they've got a cool new Foolio!!! Just what I need, another laptop that doesn't do half what my current laptop does. Good thinking, Palm!!!

BTW, I didn't "upgrade" to Vista. It wasn't my choice! I bought a new laptop, and it only came with Vista....no choice whatsoever!!!
    Last edited by Ernie; 07/11/2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Afterthought
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    This is the type of computer geek arrogance that has given most techie firms their well-deserved reputation for the worst customer service on the planet!!! If we're not geeks, then we must be stupid!

Just because customers can't write to the sector editor doesn't mean they don't have smartphone needs a bit more sophisticated than that of the iPhone. There are some really great third party apps that simply aren't available for the iPhone. When we buy a product we shouldn't be expected to understand all the internals. We buy a product TO DO A JOB, not to give us a techie fix!

And, I'm truly glad that Palm satisifies your techie fix. Just please try to be tolerant of others who don't get their jollies the same way you do! Believe it or not, there are lots of smart people out there who don't want to spend all their free time tweaking their purchases, but would rather concentrate on that product's applications.

And the first rule of marketing is to expand your marketing base. Market Palm to techies only and you have a small customer base. Market a product that works well out of the box for non-techies, and still gives the techies a product to play with, and you've got the makings of a great product with lots of sales potential!

and that's why there is an IT dept.
  20.    #20  
    and that's why there is an IT dept.
    And Palm's IT Dept. is doing such a fine job!!!