Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hi,

I currently find having Wikipedia via TomeRaider 3 on my Treo 680 very useful...but I find the interface a little clumsy....

specifically I wish it had a simple "back" button that works the way an Internet Browser does...at the moment when I click on an article..eg. "George Washington"...then a sub link "American Revolutionary War"...the existing "back" button takes me back to the previous article in the main index "American Revolutionaries"...not back to "George Washington"..the way a web browser would work.

Does anyone know of a better book reader for Palm OS...that has a back button and that works with the Wikipedia pdb?

I definitely don't want an online book reader encylopedia...as data costs are too expensive for us in Australia ...spending $3 everytime I want to look up a single article isn't my idea of fun!

Thank you!
    The best way of getting Wikipedia on the Treo (or other mobile devices) is Boopsie:

http://boopsie.com/home/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip "Aprasad".

The only thing is I'd like to find something that can access wikipedia in an offline matter...I generally try and avoid data connections because it's expensive here in Australia...

..however maybe I'll just need to see what plans I can come up with...
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    The only other offline system I know about is for Windows mobile unfortunately, Lexipedia, it does seem to have a much nicer interface than TR. I use the TR/Wikipedia combo too, so I know what you're talking about!

I'm from Oz too, but have moved to India, where unlimited GPRS data plans are $AUD6/month- so I guess that another possible solution to your problem!

cheers mate!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Just playing with TR3 now and one feature I'd never noticed there, and which goes some way to overcoming the lack of a proper Back button, is the "Show History" menu item.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks Geoff...$6 a month....that is unbelievable!! That would certainly revolutionise possibilities!

I seem to be paying about $2 to $4 just to look up one web page...

India is sounding tempting!

Anyway I might contact Tomeraider direct...you'd think a simple "Back" button would be a fairly easy feature to implement.

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Anyway I might contact Tomeraider direct...you'd think a simple "Back" button would be a fairly easy feature to implement.
    Thanks again

Good luck with that, I think you might find though that the tomeraider team operates inside a user-uncontaminated bubble!

the support information they offer on their site is very amusing, to put it nicely, especially all the comments about how much better everything will be in the future.

re plans, i had an optus GPRS deal back in 2003-04, I cant remember the details, but the costs were nowhere near $2-4/page (otherwise i would not have dreamed of using it). I would have hoped plans would have got cheaper in the meantime. optus customer service was absolutely fantastic as well.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post

re plans, i had an optus GPRS deal back in 2003-04, I cant remember the details, but the costs were nowhere near $2-4/page (otherwise i would not have dreamed of using it). I would have hoped plans would have got cheaper in the meantime. optus customer service was absolutely fantastic as well.

cheers
    Thanks Geoff...I'm actually not normally a heavy mobile user..maybe $15 - $30 a month...so have just been on pre-paid...hence the expensive data options..might have to look at a different plan...just don't want to be paying $20 $30 a month extra just for data when 95% of the time I'm at work or at home with a regular broadband connection....

Just read an article yesterday about the great deals in much of Asia....sounds like Australia is a bit behind in this area..which probably relates to our smaller population...

As smartphones become more common..data plans hopefully will get better...

anyway keep enjoying your time OS!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    My comments about TR's lack of interests in its users is a bit misplaced it turns out.

There is in fact a TR blog - and the link Ive added here is even to a thread about a v3.5 beta (unfortunately so far only for PocketPC) in which it sounds like there have been a lot of navigational improvements.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I may be a bit late to arrive in this thread, but this is on the same topic...

I've been using TR/Wiki for the last year and a half and I recall a Back button that worked like a web browser; i.e. it took you to the position in the previous article where you clicked the hyperlink. Recently I had to hard-reset my Treo and download the latest version of TR (3.1.10, Sep '06) for Palm OS and now, for the life of me, I can't find the Back button that I was using before. I don't know if I'm just blind and can't find a setting to turn it on, or if they have indeed removed it. Unfortunately I no longer have the previous version of TR that I downloaded in Dec '05.

Anyone else have the same experience or at least could suggest where I could find the version of TR for Palm OS that was current in Dec '05?

Any help, from India or elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated
    Found an older version of TR3 for Palm OS (v 3.1.05) on the tomeraider site which does have the back button so now I'm happy: http://www.tomeraider.com/appzips/To...lm_V3.1.05.zip