1.    #1  
    I spoke to a really nice level 2 tech at Palm today and asked him several questions, this is what he told me..

They are aware of several issues with the 700wx and are currently testing an update that includes WM6 which will they will probably roll out soon. He said he has used the 700wx with WM6 installed on it.

The WM6 update for the 700wx and 750 will be the last Windows Mobile for Palm.
    The new Treo 800 will be smart phone and no touchscreen.
    New phones will be based on a new Palm operating system.

I have no idea if true but this is what he told me..
    Then what is this 800w smartphone we are hearing about VZW is going to release? And that blurry shot of the phone shown on the net?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Treo 800 = Treo 800w. Palm reps usually refer to phones without the w's or p's. They just say Treo 700, not realizing there are three of em. Or the Treo 755, they don't mention p.

So it is probably in regards to the Treo 800w.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    The new Treo 800 will be smart phone and no touchscreen.
    NO TOUCHSCREEN!!! WTF!!! They really must have a death-wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    NO TOUCHSCREEN!!! WTF!!! They really must have a death-wish.
    The heck are you talking about?

Motorola Q, HTC Dash, Samsung Blackjack...all smartphones, no touchscreens, all very popular. That's how MS built the Smartphone WM platform, don't be so naive.

The bit about this being the last WM device(s) for Palm is rubbish or at least completely contradictory from when Palm laid out its plans back in March/April, where they briefly spoke about POSII and told their shareholders they are firmly committed to WM.

Put it another way: 50% of all Treos sold today are WM.

They are not backing out of that.

In regards to the 700wx getting WM6--maybe, but I have not heard any confirmation on that end. Would be nice though.

My understanding is the Smartphone Palm devices will be "low" end and not the 800-series, which will continue the WM Professional platform. So there are in fact 2 potential WM devices, which are being conflated by the tech in the 1st post.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The heck are you talking about?

Motorola Q, HTC Dash, Samsung Blackjack...all smartphones, no touchscreens, all very popular. That's how MS built the Smartphone WM platform, don't be so naive.
    I would suggest you heed your own advice. The other phones never had a touchscreen. The idea of moving away from a popular advantage (or at least difference) seems to be unwise given the current installed base.

But, then again, Palm is obviously not worried about losing customers who have begged for the 700p to be fixed so it works as advertised...
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I would suggest you heed your own advice. The other phones never had a touchscreen. The idea of moving away from a popular advantage (or at least difference) seems to be unwise given the current installed base.

But, then again, Palm is obviously not worried about losing customers who have begged for the 700p to be fixed so it works as advertised...
    And obviously you haven't been following the Upcoming Palm devices thread...(no fault either, no one should know all the details, but I thought what I write below was understood by those in this thread).

Palm has multiple devices coming out sooner than later and can be broken up accordingly: low end (no touchscreen), high end (touch screen).

The 800-series will continue with a touch-screen, will have WM6 Pro and either Garnet or POSII.

The Gandolf/low-end is the WM6 Smartphone edition e.g. no touchscreen. It is unclear if this series will also have a PalmOS version, though presumably it would.

So they are not "moving away from" but rather diversifying their base, just like every other OEM.

FWIW, that "Palm tech" is out of the loop and his info is not correct. I can assure you if he had any real information, he couldn't share it with some random customer. Since the Verizon 700wx just got an update, I find it difficult to believe a WM6 upgrade is coming in addition, since the device is near EOL.

Mal,

Normally I wouldn't disagree with you but I think it is important to note that the i730 got a WM5 upgrade at a very similar point in its lifespan.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Mal,

Normally I wouldn't disagree with you but I think it is important to note that the i730 got a WM5 upgrade at a very similar point in its lifespan.
    True and until I get a MR via Sprint, I'll still leave the door open.

But you would think due to restrictions and time consumption of rolling out updates on these carriers, they would have put this MR in with WM6 and just done it in one shot--this would reduce costs and streamline everything the process. But who knows...

Maybe he was just pulling your leg. I'm sure he can't tell you legitimate information, so maybe he thought he'd spread misinformation to see if it would show up on forums.