Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    OK so I've even the Treo 8xx wish list and such but what about the new OS.
    For Palm to be success and to retain most of us as customers (at least of the "p" brand) they are going to really need to score big time on the software side of things.

Here's wish list:
    Multi-tasking of course with a app killer
    I need the beauty of a mac but the simplicity of Palm
    Widgets
    License DailbyPhoto
    Web browser: Since it looks they are going with Opera something very close to version 9 would be killer
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Here is my list:

* not get delayed
    * not get cancelled
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Here is my list:

* not get delayed
    * not get cancelled
    Guess you missed the news? lol

New PalmOS delayed to 2008

If you want details on what it be somewhat like, read here.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    How about STABLE. Just get some decent memory protex and seal bad apps out so the OS stays up. How about upping the clipboard limit. 1994 standard is a bit outdated.

"Delayed"?
    How can the OS be "delayed", when it never had an ETA?
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Things I would like:

- fast os, like PalmOS, with a better look
    - support older PalmOS apps.
    - support GSM, CDMA is not available here in Europe
    - support Wifi, UMTS, HSDPA and Edge.
    - support built-in GPS adapter.
    OS/II? Let's just not name it Warp, OK?

...seriously inside joke...
    Quote Originally Posted by brettferrell View Post

Haha...don't worry i got it.

Or here's an idea, why not just use ALP and save all that money that would be wasted on doing it themselves? I have no faith in Palm's engineers whatsoever right now, but see no reason why ALP shouldn't be good. And yet not a single manufacturer has decided to pick it up...
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    How about STABLE. Just get some decent memory protex and seal bad apps out so the OS stays up. How about upping the clipboard limit. 1994 standard is a bit outdated.

"Delayed"?
    How can the OS be "delayed", when it never had an ETA?
    It did have an ETA: late 2007. That's when Colligan said we would see devices with the new OS.

As far as why not just use ALP, I would think because they want to be their own company with a their own OS and Hardware, like they were previously. That's how you make a name instead of just being another OEM.

I think Palm can pull it off. Linux is easier to work with than Garnet. As far as the delay, that can mean anything from carrier approval to release cyles to manufacturing delays or problems in general, so who knows. I guess I'd rather have them get it right when released, as opposed to courting disaster with a buggy system.

Even Apple couldn't escape crashing browsers and some stability problems with a their own closed system.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It did have an ETA: late 2007. That's when Colligan said we would see devices with the new OS.
    That's the Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    That's the Foleo.
    No.

PalmOS II was slated for release late this year, as has been from the annoucement, hence the now "delay" to early 2008. Read it, they are not talking about the Foleo but about new Treo type devices.

4/10/2007 - Link
    Today at Palm Inc's Analyst Day, Palm CEO Ed Colligan officially announced that Palm will deliver a new Linux and open source based mobile computing platform combined with Palm OS Garnet technology on new products later this year.

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    delay or not I hope its worth the wait. also with palm saying that they won't wait for the new OS to release new devices I hope the release the OS for current treo at 700 and up. I would even buy it as an upgrade.
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ui-factor.html

GUI Factor
    Yes itís true, the iPhone has set a new standard in cell phones. But everything evolves and I see the news that Palm is making changes in order to keep up the pace. Palm OS II has to be a great operating system so that it can be appealing in the smartphone industry. For me, one of the most important aspects of this has to be the GUI (General User Interface). The multi-touch screen must be a must, with great graphics but specially Palmís ease of use. For example, the iPhone seems great but moving around applications, on handed operation, and even inputting data doesnít seem as easy as Palm has achieved. Competition is a great medicine for reaching new frontiers in design, user interface and applications that help to better provide tools for making everyday life easier.
    My Themes - Prethemer
    No.

PalmOS II was slated for release late this year, as has been from the annoucement, hence the now "delay" to early 2008. Read it, they are not talking about the Foleo but about new Treo type devices.

4/10/2007 - Link
    Nope. I heard him talk. PIC got the summary wrong. He didn't specifically say a Linux Treo or the Garnet layer would come this year. Colligan only said there would be a Linux-based device this year, which PIC mentions later in the article.

Listen to the Analyst Day call on 4/10:
    http://investor.palm.com/events.cfm
    Jump to slide 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Nope. I heard him talk. PIC got the summary wrong. He didn't specifically say a Linux Treo or the Garnet layer would come this year. Colligan only said there would be a Linux-based device this year, which PIC mentions later in the article.

Listen to the Analyst Day call on 4/10:
    http://investor.palm.com/events.cfm
    Jump to slide 21.
    Well, then I guess this all begs the question: Why would they say it is delayed unless they had an ETA?

Those slides sure imply the talk was talking about the WM and Garnet/POSII lines...

There is no information confirming that the Foleo does Garnet, so why is that mentioned?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...07-slide-1.jpg

Well, then I guess this all begs the question: Why would they say it is delayed unless they had an ETA?

Those slides sure imply the talk was talking about the WM and Garnet/POSII lines...

There is no information confirming that the Foleo does Garnet, so why is that mentioned?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...07-slide-1.jpg
    "They" who?
    Palm? They didn't.
    BetaNews? Well, they don't actually give a source, but I'd guess that their source is Brighthand, which has a habit of getting things wrong.
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13140

"Palm OS II" Pushed Back to 2008
    May of this year, Palm, Inc. announced that it is developing its own operating system that will be based on Linux, but also include important parts of the Garnet OS (formerly Palm OS Garnet).

At that time, the company said that the first devices running this operating system -- usually referred to as Palm OS II -- would debut late this year. Palm now says it's not going to meet that deadline.

During a recent conference call, CEO Ed Colligan said "Products based on the new Linux-based platform that we're working on, that won't be until some time next year."
    There's no support for the headline, nor for the claim that Palm says it's not meeting a "deadline."

As for your other points, did you listen to the talk? Colligan said that they were developing a new Linux platform, that they were providing some support for PalmOS apps, and that they would debut a device using Linux this year. We still don't know whether Foleo will do Garnet.
    seamless backwards compatibility is a must for me

mulitasking

SDHC support (without this bullcrap of only reading 4GB at a time)

mp3 ringtones

Im sure theres more but Ive got a 4th of July eve hangover. Ill post more as I think of them.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by brettferrell View Post

HA HA! Or name it eCS 2.0

http://www.ecomstation.com
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    I am also wishing for peace in the Mid East and cold fusion. Both are as likely as anything decent coming out of palm soon
    Give you 2-1 odds on cold fusion before an innovative Palm Treo successor.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Huh, guess I'm the only one who still has some faith left in Palm, lol.

I think they have a tough time doing anything with Garnet and I'm not sure it can really be improved upon. It's like trying to get Win 98 to be rock-solid--its all up hill and your foundation is weak.

But XP Sp1/Sp2 was leaps and bounds more stable (imo). It just took a large shift.

Linux at least is proven to quite stable, flexible and easy to work with. Plus you have a huge linux programming community to pick from to build your base. Throw in their "vision" of the GUI-- simple, easy, one-handed and their stated goal of long battery life and consumer-orientated (as opposed to business) and I'm pretty excited.

"Innovation" is a relative term. Is the Mogul innovative? Was the Blackjack, a Moto Q knock-off. What about how the Dash was mocked for looking like an old TI calculator--yet it gets rave reviews. Is the Kaiser's tilt screen innovative or gimmicky? For me it's all a fine line.

But until I actually see something in terms of OS and hardware, I just have to remain optimistic.

After all, though I love WM, it will never grab the iPhone market--too much business, very little fun. Apple ticks me off with their anti-3rd party stance and Symbian just seems to be an afterthought here in the U.S.

So what else do we have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast