Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this post (on Brighthand & Engadget), that refers to the delay of the Linux Operating System I presume. My question why is Palm doing this to us. They spent a lot of money and time on the Foleo, they should have put their efforts into the Linux Treo. Palm, I myself believe that they have made a tragic mistake in failing to meet the needs of it's user base. Users are going to switch to other phones, Apple's I-phone, the BB 8830, HTC, the Multi Touch and the 800W. Why cannot Palm have vision??

At that time, the company said that the first devices running this operating system -- usually referred to as Palm OS II -- would debut late this year. Palm now says it's not going to meet that deadline.

During a recent conference call, CEO Ed Colligan said "Products based on the new Linux-based platform that we're working on, that won't be until some time next year."

This will leave Palm forced to continue to make models based on the Garnet OS and Windows Mobile.
    Palm the company sucks and they need a new CEO by all accounts..simple. At least the treos are ok for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Palm the company sucks and they need a new CEO by all accounts..simple. At least the treos are ok for the time being.
    That will change real soon. With the advent of the iPhone, customers that wanted a "simple" smartphone that flocked to the perceived ease of use of Palm devices. Now that there is another "game in town", especially one that syncs with the most popular music store on the planet, Palm's sales to that particular market segment will begin to erode.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    That will change real soon. With the advent of the iPhone, customers that wanted a "simple" smartphone that flocked to the perceived ease of use of Palm devices. Now that there is another "game in town", especially one that syncs with the most popular music store on the planet, Palm's sales to that particular market segment will begin to erode.
    Don't forget the BB 8830, I will get that next week. I may come back but I will try the phone at least for awhile. I am so tired of the lag. It's new software, more expense. I tried the 755p but it still had the lag. There is a lot of software out there for the BB now. It would be nice to get a phone that works. (no guarantee). Skyscape has released a bunch of medical programs for the BB now! www.skyscape.com
    Yeah, this sucks! I was hoping to replace my 700p with the new linux-based Treo that was supposed to come out by year's end! Oh well! But I would rather wait for them to get it right than to have another fiasco like the MR and the original 700p!
    Geez, this announcement after the iPhone was released. Guess it will be late 2008 when we see the revamped Palm OSII....the current one must not have been good enough to compete with the iPhone interface
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Geez, this announcement after the iPhone was released. Guess it will be late 2008 when we see the revamped Palm OSII....the current one must not have been good enough to compete with the iPhone interface
    That may not be too far from the truth. You would think at this point POS-II would be close to final but what if Palm saw something so compelling in the iPhone interface that they concluded they'd be better off catching flack (and losing customers) by delaying versus releasing on time? Ah, now that I've typed it out, I doubt that's the case for the delay. Palm would help their cause if they said what quarter in '08 we might see POS-II. They really appear to have no direction right now.
    Guys, the iPhone still does not do what the Treo of today does. It is pretty, but for heavy use in a business environment? No.

Like the rest though, Palm really needs to get its act together.

Ben
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That's both plausible and horrible at the same time. I, and I guess many people here, really don't care about the prettiness of the UI in comparison with it's functionality, but I guess there's not enough of us to make a viable target market.

All I want is a Swiss Army knife, not a non-metric pneumatic socket set (MS) or a a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers (Apple).

(As you'll know if you're interested in tennis, it's bloody awful weather here, so I'm not in the best of moods to start with...)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Don't forget the BB 8830, I will get that next week. I may come back but I will try the phone at least for awhile. I am so tired of the lag. It's new software, more expense. I tried the 755p but it still had the lag. There is a lot of software out there for the BB now. It would be nice to get a phone that works. (no guarantee). Skyscape has released a bunch of medical programs for the BB now! www.skyscape.com
    can you point me to the other BB software? my searches were a little too scattered in results.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yeah, this sucks! I was hoping to replace my 700p with the new linux-based Treo that was supposed to come out by year's end! Oh well! But I would rather wait for them to get it right than to have another fiasco like the MR and the original 700p!
    I don't think they had ever planned to release a Linux Treo by year-end. They had mentioned that they were going to release a Linux product this year, which is the Foleo, and they hinted at a Linux Treo for next year, but didn't really specify.
    They really should have sold themselves when they had the chance. Everybody would have been happier.
    Hump the iPhone on a relevant forum.
    I think everyone here underestimates the time necessary to create new devices, OS's, etc. Also, carrier approval time (which can be insanely long).

Marc
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I think everyone here underestimates the time necessary to create new devices, OS's, etc.
    The Foleo has (something similar to) the new OS though.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    can you point me to the other BB software? my searches were a little too scattered in results.

a whole lot of software at handago. Quicken replacement, alarms, ect!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I think everyone here underestimates the time necessary to create new devices, OS's, etc. Also, carrier approval time (which can be insanely long).

Marc

but Marc why release a defective device? When Steve Sinclair said it was inherent to the hardware design. That is why the 755p still has some lag, not as much as the 700p post MR
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post

a whole lot of software at handago. Quicken replacement, alarms, ect!
    Geez, this announcement after the iPhone was released.
    Not an "announcement." It is a sound bite from Palm's fourth quarter financial results analyst call question and answer session the day before the iPhone release.
    What device is defective?

Marc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast