Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Your century twenty one too Scary? Good to see ya again...feeling a bit of Nastalsia.
    Sorry, don't get the reference.

I've been around from time to time. Usually when going through geek withdrawl.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Sorry, don't get the reference.

I've been around from time to time. Usually when going through geek withdrawl.
    Sold...or "Sold out"
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by ediamond View Post
    Sorry, it was late and I was tired. I was sardonically impaired.

But it makes me mad to see a great platform like Palm go down the tubes like this. Not with a bang, but with a "huh?" It makes me a little emotional.
    Me too. Like many people posting here, I've had several Palms in the past, I have one now (700p) and I love the thing. But I just don't understand why they can't upgrade to a decent OS. The more things they add to a Treo, the more you wish the OS were truly multitasking. Many people fault the iPhone for its use of the slow EDGE network - but ya know what? You can do something else on an iphone while that web page is slowly loading, and that helps a lot.

If building a modern OS that will support legacy PalmOS applications is just too hard for Palm, why haven't they started a new line of Treos (with perhaps exactly the same hardware as their xxxp line) with a linux OS and a good SDK?
    People would create applications for that (I'd be one of them), and in short order they'd have the sort of healthy developer ecosystem they've had for PalmOS. Why, why, why not do something like that?

My guess is that the real threat to Palm is not the iphone, which is just an extremely beautiful feature phone, but rather the OpenMoko project. If the OpenMoko phone starts to gather a good set of 3rd party Apps., I will have bought my last Palm product.

Does anyone understand why Palm just can't modernize its platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    That will change real soon. With the advent of the iPhone, customers that wanted a "simple" smartphone that flocked to the perceived ease of use of Palm devices. Now that there is another "game in town", especially one that syncs with the most popular music store on the planet, Palm's sales to that particular market segment will begin to erode.
    The irony of course is that Palm has been the one pushing convergence while Apple has been pushing IPods. Now, Apple enters the game, oh, about 5 years late, and gets all these accolades, as if no one ever thought of this before....My 680 works fine. I'm not switching. In particular, I don't want anything that runs MAC OS, which is always going to be a marginal os.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    The irony of course is that Palm has been the one pushing convergence while Apple has been pushing IPods. Now, Apple enters the game, oh, about 5 years late, and gets all these accolades, as if no one ever thought of this before....
    I'll see your irony and raise it.

Convergence is so last year. Palm have the Foleo to make the iPhone look old-hat!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123