Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Snip from Engadget:

That sound you're hearing is the collective sigh from everyone patiently waiting for Palm to actually get its act together and unveil its depressingly overdue Linux mobile OS. Yet again, it seems we've been fooled into believing that Palm actually had its ducks in a proverbial row, as BrightHand is now reporting that Palm CEO Ed Colligan recently announced on a conference call that "products based on the new Linux-based platform won't be available until some time next year.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    This both hurts and sux.
    You saw what the Fooleo can do, right? Do you want that "functionality" in a mobile phone? I didn't think so. Yes, they're slow, but releasing it without any functionality wouldn't do anyone good either.
    Colligan also said something about having just thrown the first pitch in a 9-inning game, which gives a depressing insight into his sense of urgency and timeframes.
    I really hope they have something big up their sleeves. I'm a bit surprised they haven't leaked anything about the capabilities of the Linux OS. The silence, in addition to the lack of product, is going to kill them. There aren't enough people like me (with years of Palm usage and $$ in 3rd party apps) to carry them if they continue to delay in getting out some modernized software.
  6.    #6  
    They spent what 2 years? on making a Foleo that no one wants. Also the foleo uses arm architecture. Linux supports ARM very well. I dont think they added much to the linux kernel. Mostly UI is what they played with. They took @!#@! two years to do that?????

The Foleo is not ground breaking in any respect. Except the novelty of syncing with a smartphone.

They forgot their real priorities. Really putting Linux on this thing is not THAT hard. hey Palm, hire a bunch of Hackndev.com guys. They will do it faster. Or just open up the APIs to the GSM/CDMA module. thats all they need now. And they are doing it faster compared to you without the API information.

They are shooting in the dark, and doing it faster.

Palm you should be ashamed.
    -----------------
    You really wonder if Colligan wasn't Edward John Smith in a prior life... Watch those icebergs Palm.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    SS Treotanic! grab an Iphone, err I mean lifeboat.
    Treo is still at the top of usable smartphones. For the general public that is not ultra techie the Palm represents one of the best choices available at this time and probably another year into the future. Another version of Treo that is smaller will keep Treo interesting to the general public for at least that long until Palm releases the Linux or goes bust. I have no intention of purchasing an Iphone but did go look at one on Saturday and can only say that the bar has been raised. Move on or move over Palm.
    Palm needs to recapture the spotlight by leaking concrete info on the 800w NOW. If the rumored 800w specs are accurate (GPS!?), this is the perfect opportunity to try to keep their WM/POS subscriber base.

No one is impressed by the Gandolf. They need to shoot their load (if there is any load to be shot in the form of the 800w) to stop people from leaving Sprint/VZW for the iPhone because THESE USERS ARE PROBABLY NOT GOING TO PAY A $150 TERMINATION FEE TO COME BACK.

It's still not too late to add something like CDMA+GSM and a 2MP camera to really wow everyone. Tick tock
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Skfny, you are right.

No more gh3y pictures of blurred out future products. I'm so sick and tired of their "leaks" with blurred out photographs. That is so stupid when other companies just come right on out and say "Behold" and show the world what they got next.

They need to get the next platform info out now. Right now.
    I think leaks of future PalmOS products would hurt sales of existing Treos (because Palm owns the PalmOS market), but leaks of WM products would benefit Palm since it has such a small share.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    SS Treotanic! grab an Iphone, err I mean lifeboat.
    If the iPhone were a life boat, it would be made out of shiny white plastic, only operate with manufacture-designed hoists, and would not have an engine or paddles because they would take away from the aesthetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I think leaks of future PalmOS products would hurt sales of existing Treos (because Palm owns the PalmOS market), but leaks of WM products would benefit Palm since it has such a small share.
    First you have to HAVE a future product to leak...

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If the iPhone were a life boat, it would be made out of shiny white plastic, only operate with manufacture-designed hoists, and would not have an engine or paddles because they would take away from the aesthetics.
    Sour grapes?...
    I think that the verdict is in. It is the Monday after the iPhone w/e. RIMM stock is up enough to buy Palm. All cell phone maker stocks are up except Palm. It is not clear where Colligan gets the idea that he has so much time.

[I do agree with the observation that Palm's leak strategy will no longer work. Any leak will cannibalize its already falling sales for current product.]

Perry, where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I think that the verdict is in. It is the Monday after the iPhone w/e. RIMM stock is up enough to buy Palm. All cell phone maker stocks are up except Palm. It is not clear where Colligan gets the idea that he has so much time.

[I do agree with the observation that Palm's leak strategy will no longer work. Any leak will cannibalize its already falling sales for current product.]

Perry, where are you?
    Playing with his daughter's iPhone!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    Playing with his daughter's iPhone!
    Well, I wish he would stop.

We need some optimism, at least a little hope, around here. Will there ever be an upgrade to the 650GSM?

Perry, where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    First you have to HAVE a future product to leak...

Sour grapes?...
    Get a clue.
    Companies go through cycles; it's as true for Palm as it has been for Apple (which was going nowhere before iPod). I think everyone would like to see new devices sooner, but that's life.

Marc

p.s. I think it's funny that iPhone appears to be a crash-fest, but Apple fans don't seem too disturbed by it (the phone returns to the main menu)... Also odd that so many people seem to root for Apple over Palm, as though Apple were David vs Palm's Goliath, when in fact Apple is about 50x bigger. Ah, well!
  20.    #20  
    true.. the list of problems for the iphone is long. atleast it affects power users a lot. (no cut and paste for example..)

iPhone and Palm devices are for two entirely different markets. My problem is not iphone vs palm os. I never compare the two. And I dont understand why people compare the two. Edit documents? run a shell? Record a video? What iphone does now, palm did it 2 years ago with the 650. the iphone only has a bigger screen and no keyboard. the only other difference is iphone can multitask. the UI is a non issue for me. I like palm's ui much much better. My problem is with Palm not innovating fast enough.

Marc, You know the inside better now, I assume. Definitely you know the current state of the Linux Palm OS better then us. Hopefully we will see something new early next year.
    -----------------
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast