Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I really hope they have something big up their sleeves. I'm a bit surprised they haven't leaked anything about the capabilities of the Linux OS. The silence, in addition to the lack of product, is going to kill them. There aren't enough people like me (with years of Palm usage and $$ in 3rd party apps) to carry them if they continue to delay in getting out some modernized software.

I totally agree, there are a lot of us in the same boat; and some of us are jumping off the "sinking ship"
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Palm needs to recapture the spotlight by leaking concrete info on the 800w NOW. If the rumored 800w specs are accurate (GPS!?), this is the perfect opportunity to try to keep their WM/POS subscriber base.

No one is impressed by the Gandolf. They need to shoot their load (if there is any load to be shot in the form of the 800w) to stop people from leaving Sprint/VZW for the iPhone because THESE USERS ARE PROBABLY NOT GOING TO PAY A $150 TERMINATION FEE TO COME BACK.

It's still not too late to add something like CDMA+GSM and a 2MP camera to really wow everyone. Tick tock
    Let's not forget the "BB 8830"
    Obviously, I can't speak about schedules, products, etc; sorry.

iPhone and Treo are very, very different things, although there is no doubt that there will be some overlap in the customer base.

iPhone strikes me as entirely a consumer device - simple (not in a bad way) interface, limited expandability, oriented heavily toward proprietary services - iTunes, AT&T, etc. Treo is more of a mobile computer (3rd party developers, expandability, variety of input methods, many carriers, supporting a variety of services, etc.)

So it's interesting to compare them, but you can only take comparisons so far.

Marc

p.s. In technology, the clock is ALWAYS ticking for EVERY company.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Obviously, I can't speak about schedules, products, etc; sorry.

wouldnt want you to get in trouble either...

p.s. In technology, the clock is ALWAYS ticking for EVERY company.
    Agreed. You got to move fast, or risk being left behind.

I am quite a power user. So far my only [real] problem with palmos is multitasking and memory management for processes, so that a crashing process wont take the whole system down. The other problem is having an open OS. but then I am a linux geek. I can play with it and tweak it more to suite my taste. Most people wouldnt care.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If the iPhone were a life boat, it would be made out of shiny white plastic, only operate with manufacture-designed hoists, and would not have an engine or paddles because they would take away from the aesthetics.
    Sour grapes?...
    Hardly, khaytsus' post was spot-on.
    1) Apple always uses that beautiful shiny-white plastic.
    2) Apple is alway proprietary (since Apple is snobbish, and with good reason)
    3) Beauty is at least on-par with function at Apple. Maybe khaytsus has
    exagerated on this part a bit, but the one-button mouse - come on!
    That's what he is talking about, I went to use my sister's mac (os-9)
    with this one button about 4 years ago. I was dumbfounded! I just
    went and got my own laptop out of the bag instead!) This is what
    khaytsus means by "no paddles" I think.

Hopefully I've clarified things :-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    My thought on Palm? My 750 is collecting dust and I'm using a T-Mobile Dash, after 2 650's and 2 WM Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Snip from Engadget:

That sound you're hearing is the collective sigh from everyone patiently waiting for Palm to actually get its act together and unveil its depressingly overdue Linux mobile OS. Yet again, it seems we've been fooled into believing that Palm actually had its ducks in a proverbial row, as BrightHand is now reporting that Palm CEO Ed Colligan recently announced on a conference call that "products based on the new Linux-based platform won't be available until some time next year.
    Whose "patient?" All of us not locked in have already deserted. What makes Colligan think he has until "next year?" How long will his board watch RIMM sales grow and stock go up while Palm's fall?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

Sour grapes?...

Get a clue.
    Speaking of clueless:

Samsung releases the Blackjack; Moto updates the Q; RIMM releases various designs all over the place skyrocketing its stock; HTC is unrelenting in new phone designs here and abroad...

Apple sells between 500,000-700,000 iPhones in 72 hours...

and Palm announces the Foleo (excuse me, Fool-eoh)...

Exactly who is clueless?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    This 10 year customer (started with PalmPilot Personal) is done with Palm, and the poster above explains exactly why. I'd only add that if Palm had created a rock solid product in my Treo, I'd not be interested in what other companies were doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknell View Post
    This 10 year customer (started with PalmPilot Personal) is done with Palm, and the poster above explains exactly why. I'd only add that if Palm had created a rock solid product in my Treo, I'd not be interested in what other companies were doing.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!! My BB 8830 is to arrive on Friday!!
    p.s. I think it's funny that iPhone appears to be a crash-fest, but Apple fans don't seem too disturbed by it (the phone returns to the main menu)... Also odd that so many people seem to root for Apple over Palm, as though Apple were David vs Palm's Goliath, when in fact Apple is about 50x bigger. Ah, well!
    It sounds like some of the apps are crashing but the phone is not rebooting. When an app crashes on my 650, it takes the whole phone down with it. I have even had my phone crash when someone called during a hotsync.

I think people are frustrated at Palms lack of innovation in its smartphones since the 650, particularly on the GSM PalmOS models. All they have really done to improve it is remove the antenna, increase the memory and fix some bugs. OTOH they replaced the perfectly serviceable phone app with something that just looks better but doesn't work as well.
    p.s. I think it's funny that iPhone appears to be a crash-fest, but Apple fans don't seem too disturbed by it (the phone returns to the main menu)...
    I have to say that someone had their brain up their arse (not really, just nobody thought "out of the box") when they designed the OS to advertise the name of the vendor(s) each time it crashes. It's link of like Pavlov's dog: each time there is a crash, we get the Palm and/or AccessPowered logo impressions. Just what a company should not do: give you a brand "impression" that is associated with a negative experience. It's really not a surprise to me that People hate palm after all of the crashes. Duh!

If you can have some "ARM assembly code" that runs a cute puppy licking himself, or perhaps something useful (like a phone app!) then people won't feel so bad about the crash. Even something original like a jpeg of your choice that you could stylus swear words over (does not even need to be savable, just helps to release your anger during the reboot) would be a positive step. Just Imagine drawing a moustache on Marc Blank while your treo reboots! :-) Something like an XBill game would be cool! Marc, can you take note of this idea and run with something like it in the Palm/Linux version that you all are writing?

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    ...All they have really done to improve it is remove the antenna, increase the memory and fix some bugs.
    I think you meant to say "create" some bugs, right?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I too have been using a Palm for the last 10 years as the one device that I carry with me. Ive been hoping beyond hope that they'd fix all the errors, bugs, etc. in my treo. So now to hear that the new operating system is not coming till sometime in 2008, was like a dagger to my heart...the next day I got the iphone, and yes its not a treo, but it works and works well...so goodbye Palm...many folks here need 3rd party apps, and alot of the flexibility that comes with the treo, I just needed, wanted a phone that works, doesnt need to be rebooted every day and syncs every time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    I too have been using a Palm for the last 10 years as the one device that I carry with me. Ive been hoping beyond hope that they'd fix all the errors, bugs, etc. in my treo. So now to hear that the new operating system is not coming till sometime in 2008, was like a dagger to my heart...the next day I got the iphone, and yes its not a treo, but it works and works well...so goodbye Palm...many folks here need 3rd party apps, and alot of the flexibility that comes with the treo, I just needed, wanted a phone that works, doesnt need to be rebooted every day and syncs every time...
    I am another. The cost of my iPhone is aggravated by the fact that I must keep my Treo.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12