Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hi all, just asking.....flamers not welcome...!
    Anyhow, I've been seriously looking at Treos for a few months, and anywhere I've read reviews, the reviews, particularly at cnet.com, have been positive for the Palm versions, whereas the Windows Mobile versions have all had poor reviews by users. I can't wait to see whether the 800, whenever it comes, will have a Palm version. What with 325 cool hundred million dollars now in its kitty, see http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=246860 Palm is sure to maybe shake off its dependence on Windows Mobile. Seems to me the people have spoken....within a year, I expect to see sleek Treos, shaking off the current look, maybe a Linux OS, alongside the Garnet OS, to challenge iPhone. I hope so. I just love my Tungsten T3, which never in 3 years has messed up or crashed. Hmmm, no I lied....there's a program called BluefishRx, very useful for physicians, which crashed a couple of times till they corrected the problem. I once bought a Compaq PocketPC, found its battery just lasted half a day, compared to all week for my Tungsten T3, and promptly returned it. Never looked at PocketPC again.

So....are you for or against Windows Mobile in Treos????? or ?

Roger
    I will note, despite (biased) reviews, WM Treos now make up around 50% of all Treo's sold, and Ed expect this trend of increasing WM Treo sales to continue.

Luke Lee

No. I mean, I am trying to understand in terms of units, percentage wise, what's the percentage of the smartphone were based on Microsoft Windows system and what's the percentage was based on Palm?

Ed Colligan

Yeah. I mean, approximately at this point were about a little bit less than 50% Windows Mobile and a little bit more than that are Palm OS based products.

Luke Lee

What's the trend that you see? This is sustainable or it would change?

Ed Colligan

Well, if you…

Andy Brown

It comes from 100% smartphone. So, I mean 100% far Palm OS. So, we have obviously seen significant growth in Windows Mobile and we expect to continue to see that. Part of the structuring that I talked about was to invest more in Windows Mobile in the sense of really a dedicated team trying to drive the broader range of ODMs. So, we really think we can leverage our brand even more than we have to date, deliver more products to markets more quickly. Our brand and distribution, our carrier relationships and our brand, are two things that we really think we can leverage on the Windows Mobile side even more effectively than we have.

Luke Lee

Yeah. But, from a margin perspective because you already have a deal to pay a [fat] fee for the Palm OS system, right. So, you should get higher margins. But, on the other hand if you ship more like Windows-based product that the margin will not…?

Ed Colligan

Yeah, it's a part of the fun, but it's reasonably marginal. But the difference and also the reality is we want to do the right thing to serve the most customers. This is a big growth market. We got to look at the right opportunities and make the right decisions relative to mix based on the opportunities that are available to us. We see Windows Mobile particularly playing more strongly in the enterprise, medium businesses and also internationally, and our Palm OS products being more consumer-based. So, we will drive in that direction. But, 2% to 3% difference in the grand scheme of the growth we can have and the dollars we can generate, it's certainly not the only reason to focus more Palm OS products. I think we are going to focus on both platforms.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/39702

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Hi all, just asking.....flamers not welcome...!
    Anyhow, I've been seriously looking at Treos for a few months, and anywhere I've read reviews, the reviews, particularly at cnet.com, have been positive for the Palm versions, whereas the Windows Mobile versions have all had poor reviews by users. I can't wait to see whether the 800, whenever it comes, will have a Palm version. What with 325 cool hundred million dollars now in its kitty, see http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=246860 Palm is sure to maybe shake off its dependence on Windows Mobile. Seems to me the people have spoken....within a year, I expect to see sleek Treos, shaking off the current look, maybe a Linux OS, alongside the Garnet OS, to challenge iPhone. I hope so. I just love my Tungsten T3, which never in 3 years has messed up or crashed. Hmmm, no I lied....there's a program called BluefishRx, very useful for physicians, which crashed a couple of times till they corrected the problem. I once bought a Compaq PocketPC, found its battery just lasted half a day, compared to all week for my Tungsten T3, and promptly returned it. Never looked at PocketPC again.

So....are you for or against Windows Mobile in Treos????? or ?

Roger
    WM Treo 700wx is the most dependable ppc on the market Today.
    Not meant to offend the garent faithful but,
    WX puts the Treo Garnet versions to shame .Garnet's a worn out tire on the tow truck looking for another patch job to throw on another treo release.
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/01/2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Its all a matter of personal preference. I prefer palm os because I have spent some money on apps that I don't want to see go to waste. WM can do things that palm can't and may be better suited if you need to connect to an exchange server, etc. For everyday personal use I like the simpler, but at times frustrating palm os.
    My Treo 750 from AT&T has been rock solid. Great device, IMO. I've also had the Treo 650 (both the AT&T and Verizon variety) as well as a Sprint 700P. I would take the 750 over all of those although I loved my 650.
    Lock and Load!
    Simple and polite answer: Yes.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    WM Treo 700wx is the most dependable ppc on the market Today. Not meant to offend the garent faithful but,
    WX puts the Treo Garnet versions to shame .Garnet's a worn out tire on the tow truck looking for another patch job to throw on another treo release.
    Maybe the 700wx has been good, but you'd think newer models would be better:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones...html?tag=uolst is a link to users absolutely fed up with the new Treo 750..........
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Its all a matter of personal preference. I prefer palm os because I have spent some money on apps that I don't want to see go to waste. WM can do things that palm can't and may be better suited if you need to connect to an exchange server, etc. For everyday personal use I like the simpler, but at times frustrating palm os.
    This is the best answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    This is the best answer.
    THANKS!!!!
    Agree with that....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Maybe the 700wx has been good, but you'd think newer models would be better:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones...html?tag=uolst is a link to users absolutely fed up with the new Treo 750..........
    Roger
    You would think but unfortunately Its not the case.Palm went sour on the 750 in my opinion .If the Treo 800 was released today I would not buy until palm proves there self's once more. Ill be using the 700WX for a long time......It's to dependable to give up.

Phil C
    Take a 14-day trial IF you're prepared to spend some time learning about WM and the best apps. Palm OS is IMO useless without third party apps. Ditto for WM.

I'm also thinking of getting a 700wx. The 48MB free RAM puts the 750's (and most WM devices') 31 MB to shame. It DOES make a difference and I hope Palm continues the trend of Sprint Treos with high free RAM by putting something like 80MB+ free on the 800w.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    This seems to be a common theme with many Palm OS users. They have all this money tied up in apps. I don't really think this is a good reason to stay, is it?

Sooner or later you have to move on, else you'd still be running your old DOS apps (or Amiga, Atari...)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Like many others, I was once a Palm OS guy, who moved to WM in about 2002. I currently use a 700Wx and my wife uses a 700P.
    I don't think I could go to a Palm OS device at this point. Even with a few quirks and growing pains, I think Palm did a great job when they moved into the WM arena and released the 700Wx.
    Don't be afraid of it or automatically rule it out, although you might end up preferring the Palm OS even after giving WM a fair test-run.
    WM Treo 700wx is the most dependable ppc on the market Today.
    Not meant to offend the garent faithful but,
    Love the analogy Phil!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    This seems to be a common theme with many Palm OS users. They have all this money tied up in apps. I don't really think this is a good reason to stay, is it?

Sooner or later you have to move on, else you'd still be running your old DOS apps (or Amiga, Atari...)
    As one of the people with a lot of money tied up in POS apps, I will say that you bring up a good point. I now generally advise WM for most people new to smartphones due to the robust OS, but that robustness doesn't yet compensate (or overcome) my POS app investment. All of the old (or new) POS apps I use are just as relevant to me as anything in WM. I'm not big into multimedia on my Treo (an area where I believe WM shines), so that affects my opinion. If Palm can gracefully support older Palm apps in the new Linux OS then that would be compelling enough for me to remain.

Anyway, for the OP, I might recommend WM if you are starting out, but it's really a matter of personal preference.
    Thanks for saying that I was thinking the same thing.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!

Ouch, that hurt.
    For me it is, at least until palm decides what its future holds.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    My windows mobile treo hasnt crashed in weeks. My palm os phones would reset on a daily basis. I would avoid the palm os.
    I have been usning Palms OS for 8,9,10 years if they have been around that long?

I have been thinking on moving to the WM when the new treo's come out. I guess that everyone I see seems to be moving that way. I guess I still do not know what the future holds or which is best. The whole thing i guess is just to confusing in the grand sceme of things and I have more important things to do with my time. My thought are that Windows controls the world, and I guess the interface between the two should be smoother?

but what the heck do I know!?!?!?!?????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast