View Poll Results: Treo in Medicine

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invaluable Tool

    10 37.04%
  • Very Helpful

    11 40.74%
  • Occasionally Helpful

    4 14.81%
  • Who cares I have a pen, paper and books with pages

    2 7.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I am a physician who began using the Treo 90 and owned the 180, 270, Treo650, 700p and now Treo750 having jumped ship on Sprint and the Palm OS. Interested in having a forum where other members of the medical community discuss how they use the Treo in their professional/personal lives. Unfortunately for many of us the line is not very distinct :-). Feel free to be as general or as specific as you like. I believe the Treo offers features that would allow this discussion to be somewhat different than what is often found in in a non smartphone Palm healthcare forum. Also please post questions/challenges in hopes that the discussion members can be of assistance!
    As an orthopaedic surgeon I utilize the Treo daily in recording notes, pictures of xrays to instantly share with colleagues, double check medications as well as several custom databases. With the addition of a couple programs the Treo has also allowed me to do away with my pager!! Let the discussion begin!
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
    Last edited by TreoDoc; 07/01/2007 at 06:44 PM.
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
  2. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #2  
    Medic speaking-
    I use it all the time when we run on overdoses / ingestions so I am aware of the effects and side effects of what they took so I know what to expect enroute to the hospital.
    Works good for patching too and when the trauma team asks me why I brought this PT to their facility I showw them the pic of the car I took prior to us leaving the scene.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  3. DrRoger's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc View Post
    I am a physician who began using the Treo 90 and owned the 180, 270, Treo650 and no Treo750 having jumped ship on Sprint and the Palm OS......
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650
    I'm still happy with my trusty old Tungsten T3 (I have two of them) and in fact one's battery started dying and with the help of various sites on the Internet I was able to replace the battery myself, came close to destroying the thing. Anyhow, as an Internist, I use Epocrates several times a day, but that's about it. Don't have a Treo yet....will get one if the 800 version has the Palm version. What with someone just having invested a couple of hundred million on Palm, I'm sure it'll do very well. Besides, look at the reviews of Treos with Windows Mobile...awful. We've been on EMR for 2 years, and find the need for PDA less and less. I chose e-MDs by the way. Love it. See the online demo at www.e-mds.com
    Roger
  4. #4  
    I've been using a Palm in the ED for years. I keep Epocrates, Davis IV Drug Guide, OB Wheel, ER Suite, RN-Emer, EMS Field Guide, and an copy of the EMS protocols for our state. It comes in handy for quick reference, teaching, and proving a point on occassion. The Treo has the added benefit of keeping my phone numbers so I can contact staff instantly when they forget to show up for work. I even have a separate catagory with the disaster phone tree for our department. I like to think of her as my Anti-JACHO device.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
  5.    #5  
    I also have gotten to the "I could not live without it"..I dumped the Palm OS (regrettably) after many years of dedication. Frustration mounted as I was getting frequent resets that were happening at innoportune times in combination with Sprint's lousy service locally. I had to take a critical look at the device and although it was full of all of the wonderful Palm OS apps...how many did I "really" need and was it more important to have a reliable device...also better service..the "must haves" for me were Splash ID, a program like TreoAlert that allowed me to ditch my pager, Web and a remote locking app. I have all of that on my WM5 Treo750...have not had 1 reset since having the thing and the Cingular/ATT combo has worked wonderfully. I have been able to replicate all the "must have" apps noted above.
    I recently downloade the patch for UMTS and now am routinely getting 900+kbps. Its worked well with my staff in sending images of cases/patients and I still have MDCoder to do my remote billing and wiressly sync it with my billing staff. I have not missed the Palm OS much at all. I was not using the thing for games and really had no need for some of the esoteric apps.
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc View Post
    I also have gotten to the "I could not live without it"..I dumped the Palm OS (regrettably) after many years of dedication. Frustration mounted as I was getting frequent resets that were happening at innoportune times in combination with Sprint's lousy service locally. I had to take a critical look at the device and although it was full of all of the wonderful Palm OS apps...how many did I "really" need and was it more important to have a reliable device...also better service..the "must haves" for me were Splash ID, a program like TreoAlert that allowed me to ditch my pager, Web and a remote locking app. I have all of that on my WM5 Treo750...have not had 1 reset since having the thing and the Cingular/ATT combo has worked wonderfully. I have been able to replicate all the "must have" apps noted above.
    I recently downloade the patch for UMTS and now am routinely getting 900+kbps. Its worked well with my staff in sending images of cases/patients and I still have MDCoder to do my remote billing and wiressly sync it with my billing staff. I have not missed the Palm OS much at all. I was not using the thing for games and really had no need for some of the esoteric apps.
    I flipped to the 700WX for about 2 months. It was ok but a couple of the programs that I have on PalmOS couldn't be replicated and I found out I used them more than I realized. I switched to the 700P and so far I'm content. All devices have their flaws, but all in all it's a great work tool. I use a Q with WM5 for personal use. Again, it has flaws but it serves the purpose. In our ED/Trauma Center you see a variety of PDA's in use. We have docs/nurses with Blackberry, BlackJacks, Q's, Treos, and a plethera of Old School Palms/PPC's. If you speak to them, they will each tell you they use "X" because of "blah, blah, blah".
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
  7. cphil674's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm a travel RN and I went from my Sony Clie to a Treo 600 and now a 650, which I've had for 2 years. Skyscape rocks my world: 5MEmerg, 5MTox, DrugGuide, IVDrugs. Freeware includes OB Wheel, PedsOmnibus, ABG Pro, MedMnemonics. Plus I listen to the occasional MP3 and watch an episode of the Sopranos (I'm only on season 3).
    Sadly my next device will probably be a WM6, but I might go for a BB if the med apps catch up. I only wish the Treo was faster and had a better camera, like 1.3MP.
    I got some seat time with an iPhone. It's dead sexy but the keyboard is aggravating, and don't even get me started on the Mail app, which sucks royally.
    -Craig J.

    Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
  8. T-ulk's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #8  
    any dentists using treo & any useful sf? both for POS or WM?? I m a dental student & want to know how useful treo is...
  9. #9  
    Transplant Patient here.

    I use My Medical Records to track my own medical history. It comes in handy every time I see my docs.

    I'm now looking for one that will help me track my stats and graph the data.

    Disclaimer: I originally wrote MyMedicalRecords but sold all rights to MyMedicalRecords.com
  10. #10  
    I posted in the other thread - just a Mom trying to talk to her kids doctors here.

    I'd love some more powerful stuff to carry that info around - i have one with Scoliosis, have to use the notes field to track curve info, height tracking would be nice for her too.... the other one has Turner's Syndrome - again height tracking would be nice, along with HGH dosing (lot numbers, clicks per night), other hormones later.... i'm currently using HealthFile.

    I'd be willing to pay good money for something that worked great (base software with specialty add-ons?). Frankly, i'd prefer to stay OFF windows, but could get talked into it if the app "rocked". Platform of choice would be Palm, but i've been researching BB's too (really lacking in the "personal healthcare" arena). OH, and having a way to get the info OUT to hand to the doctor would be nice. My "she's running a low grade fever" didn't do much - handing him 2 weeks worth of tracking showing it did.

    SOOO, tell your Med Software vendors some of us patients would love stuff too. Make it easier for ME to help YOU do your job better!

    Tracey
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
  11. #11  
    Being in administration much more than clnical work these days, I use Epocrates and HanDBase, on which I've set up a Patient-Keeper like program (but for free) that I use when on the wards. Having to work with two different IT groups is problematic. My departmental guys will allow access to the Exchange server only with BB or Palm (which is fine since I"ve been using Palms since the 1K); however, the hospital will only allow wireless download of labs through WM. Good thinking. What comes in handy is that we have a very active library site that has access to UpToDate and several evidence-based sites, including the Cochrane databases.
  12. Stublue's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'm a medical student in the UK with a treo 680. The medical software and the amount of money I've invested on it is the only thing keeping me tied to the treo 680 as I'm tired of constant resets with minimal software installed, lags, dropping phone calls etc.

    But as a medical device it's great. I use listpro to sort out patient tasks, I've got a load of skyscape software too (Oxford handbook, steadman's dictionary, medrecall) and iSilo is excellent. Just need to find a decent patient keeper. I've got Handbase, so perhaps should take some time out and make my own decent one.

    One piece of software I've been really impressed with is Pepid. However, I can't afford the software (I've been using it on trial) plus you have to keep renewing it to use it once it's expired. Otherwise, it's excellent.
  13. #13  
    I find my PDA to be an invaluable tool in my day-to-day work. I am a diabetologist and beyond using ePocrates for looking up drugs, side effects and interactions, I also use other products to do a number of quick computations about cardiovascular risks, renal functions, initial medication doses and custom algorithms for quick treatments. I also use my PDA for quick CME and constantly for web research. In addition, I use my Treo as a pager by having the answering service send a message to my phone via SMS.

    I am initiating my trasition from Palm to WM, I am searching for good WM medical applications.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  14.    #14  
    You might want to take a look over at DDHSoftware www.ddhsoftware.com they have a great program called HandDbase and there are quite a few free template/programs written for it on the site...you can get the info out in all kinds of ways and of course as it is a database the info can be manipulated as needed. Hope this helps!
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
  15. #15  
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html

    If you go to free downloads, select the medical topic, there are literally hundreds of free databases to use with HanDbase, including at least two inpatient trackers (similar to Patient Keeper).....
  16. #16  
    Life would simply be too complicated without one!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  17. #17  
    I am an anesthesiologist in a 70+ physician group that covers four community hospitals and several outpatient surgery centers.
    We began using them as a group in an attempt to replace our pagers. This has been a challenging project from a few angles. We needed a device which was very reliable. Pages to us are sometimes quite urgent and there is little room for dead spots where we work or SMS delays. In our two largest hospitals, one had a campus wide BDA (bi-directional antenna or repeater) installed for the security staff, the second one Sprint installed the same for free for us with a commitment to approximately 80 lines. The remainder of our facilities had adequate signal at all anesthetizing locations and call rooms.
    We also had to sort through the problem of the occasional SMS delay which was fixed only by a soft reset or reboot with the resultant delivery of all queued messages simultaneously, sometimes from the prior 36 hours.
    We're using Butler to replicate the repeating alert of a pager. There have been a few physicians dragging their feet in adoption of the device and installation of necessary software. After being warned of significant financial penalties for failure to do so, they're slowly coming around. They are also the same people who initially refused to buy fax machines for the reception of their daily schedule. One or two had to be threatened with termination before they came around. There'll always be a curmudgeonly Luddite in the group...
    Nearly a year later, we turn our pagers off early next month.
    We've also begun leveraging the web access features by allowing secure access to the individual physician's schedule for the next day with surgeon, surgery, facility, and patient's name and ph#.
    The contact application has been used to create a practice address book, and in a separate category, a surgeon preference list.
    As the IT committee chair, I'd also like to delve into electronic charge capture, but have met resistance from our administrative staff.
    Personally, I've been using Epocrates since it's creation, and in recent years have also been using the included drip calculator and BMI function.
  18. #18  
    As a PGY 1 resident in EM at a Level 1 trauma center, I find PEPID to be a useful albeit expensive piece of software. Check it out at www.pepid.com . Since I don't see many peers using it, I do find myself turning to Tarascon pharmacaopeia or Up to Date online for reference though.
  19. #19  
    How useful would an online prescription service using a Treo be?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    I am an anesthesiologist in a 70+ physician group that covers four community hospitals and several outpatient surgery centers.
    We began using them as a group in an attempt to replace our pagers. This has been a challenging project from a few angles. We needed a device which was very reliable. Pages to us are sometimes quite urgent and there is little room for dead spots where we work or SMS delays. In our two largest hospitals, one had a campus wide BDA (bi-directional antenna or repeater) installed for the security staff, the second one Sprint installed the same for free for us with a commitment to approximately 80 lines. The remainder of our facilities had adequate signal at all anesthetizing locations and call rooms.
    We also had to sort through the problem of the occasional SMS delay which was fixed only by a soft reset or reboot with the resultant delivery of all queued messages simultaneously, sometimes from the prior 36 hours.
    We're using Butler to replicate the repeating alert of a pager. There have been a few physicians dragging their feet in adoption of the device and installation of necessary software. After being warned of significant financial penalties for failure to do so, they're slowly coming around. They are also the same people who initially refused to buy fax machines for the reception of their daily schedule. One or two had to be threatened with termination before they came around. There'll always be a curmudgeonly Luddite in the group...
    Nearly a year later, we turn our pagers off early next month.
    We've also begun leveraging the web access features by allowing secure access to the individual physician's schedule for the next day with surgeon, surgery, facility, and patient's name and ph#.
    The contact application has been used to create a practice address book, and in a separate category, a surgeon preference list.
    As the IT committee chair, I'd also like to delve into electronic charge capture, but have met resistance from our administrative staff.
    Personally, I've been using Epocrates since it's creation, and in recent years have also been using the included drip calculator and BMI function.
    Our group also has gone solely to the Treo. Although not 70 (we are 6) we have found having the answering service put in the message and the # has greatly increased our efficiency as we do not have to call back to find out who called and just one click gets us to the individual and the page and the call are recorded for future reference should the need arise. Also the ability to take a note on a call and fire it off to the attending physician for that patient has been quite handy. We use the camera to capture xrays and send to colleagues...obviously not diagnostic but you can tell if the bones are not in the same room or not :-). I use MDCoder www.mobiledesigntech.com for charge capture and have found it a wonderful utility. Essentially before I leave the OR after a day of surgery my charges for surgery and consults are at my billers desk via their Palm/WM5 utility that uplpoads the charges wirelessly to a site where my biller can download them in any number of formats....
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions