Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Looks like they just fired a bunch of people; my outlook on the linux treo is dropping quickly.

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=127895
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Yeah I heard about that. Maybe they fired them because they couldn't get the WIFI drivers to work alongside GSM... i like to stay positive. I really doubt it was an engineering problem.

Please, if HTC can put 802.11b/g in a regular phone, alongside bluetooth... I dont see why Palm can't. Its not that hard anymore, the chips are small. And the Treo's are really tiny either. Its the Palm OS, Palm probably wants new software engineers to finish what the old team couldn't produce.

Maybe software built in for 802.11b/g/a/n + Bluetooth 2.0 chips! its possible!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Man and me with a 650 and now really no where to go.
    -g-
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    Hey Fishy, whassup?

I agree about the wifi. I think it's a conspiracy between Palm & the carriers. If we had wifi, what would become of our data usage?
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    I would have been very surprized to see WiFi in the Palm Treos ever.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I won't be surprised but there are two things to consider.

1.) Do you want WIFI in a Palm OS Treo? Dont just say yes, but think about it. Battery life, the web browsers for Palm OS, limited use locations, etc.

2.) 3G can accomplish the speed. We already see it with EvDO, now we need to see it with HSDPA on the Palm OS platform. Once we see that in the GSM Treo's, I dont see any reason for WIFI in it. I do think there should be WIFI drivers in the new Linux Palm OS, but I dont see a need to put WIFI IN it to begin with, especially if it is going to drive up the cost. We have unlimited data plans in the US for the most part as it is.

I just dont see the reason to stick a shorter range technology into an everywhere use device, when everywhere data can be accomplished with EvDO Rev. A and HSDPA!

AND

as far as the the cell carriers.. look how many other devices are out there with WIFI. HTC'S, the iPhone, doesn't the blackberry's have WIFI? (1 of em?)

I cant wait for more GSM 3G roll out here in the states. I would want to stuff a SIM card into my iBook somehow with a modem and be able to open that thing anywhere!
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I doubt it, any device (smartphone) without WiFi has no future. WiFi, like bluetooth is a necessity. We can argue about 3G v/s WiFi and all, but in the end there are thousand's of WM devices with WiFi, not to mention the BB and the iPhone for customers to choose from. Even if the customers don't use WiFi at all, the buying decision could still be based on the availability (or not) of WiFi.

All this means less market share for Palm.

On the other hand, maybe they are getting themselves a new team.

- mvk
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i sure hope they are getting a whole new team. the TX is due for an update also!
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    If the new Palm OS is indeed Linux based then they probably don't need a team dedicated to building wi-fi drivers since chances are good the manufacturer of the chip has a Linux driver already. IMO this is THE big reason to be using a Linux kernel.

As previously mentioned, wi-fi is becoming like BT...a must have. Even though most people don't have BT headsets almost all phones support them now. Same deal with wi-fi on a smartphone. I personally wouldn't use it much if at all but at the price point of a new Treo it should be there. That said I don't think Palm would exclude it on a new device.
    I wouldn't even use wi-fi... unless of course i'm dumb enough to buy something that isn't 3G..such as the iphone.
    I never thought I would use wifi or want it, but its pretty sweet now that I have it on my Mogul. With Sprints EVDO coverage, I really don't need it unless I want to surf the web via wifi and talk on the phone at the same time. It does drain the battery, but not horribly like I thought it would.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have wanted Wi-fi In my phone for ages. With the mogul I have it.
    Guess what?

It's a WASTE OF TIME.

Now if I was on ATT with a crappy data network. It's a totally different story. but Ideally you just want a good data network..right now options are Sprint and VZ.

They should skip wifi imo and just focus on GPS, a bigger screen, processor and battery life.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    For me, I travel about 75% of the year, so EVDO is crucila, but in my home area there is no EVDO yet. So Wi-Fi would be awesome for when I'm not in those EVDO, or roaming in a "no data roaming area".
    yeah if you travel to a place or live in an area w/out edvo I can see the use.
    I am surprised they even hired wifi people to begin with. LOL.
    This reminds me what I used to do before I had the unlimited data plan.. Although perhaps Palm could make this more user friendly, here's what I did:

Changed network profile to bluetooth at home, did data/whatever.
    Went to work or out somewhere, had to switch it to MEdianet.
    Get back home, have to remember to switch it back to Bluetooth

WiFi is no replacement for cellular data. Would it be useful for faster speed, yes I suppose so. This is treading very closely on the GPS or WiFi thread, and GPS won there.

If this WiFi was via an SD card adapter I wouldn't care at all, no way would I be popping such a thing in and out of my Treo. Especially on the 680 I suppose, with its SD card slot on the side.
    this cannot be a conspiracy with carrier & they sell phones with wifi already. The Mogul on Sprint for one. It would be useful for me when I travel out of the country. I could browse the net & use skype for calls without paying outrageous rates. As some people above said wifi is becoming ubiquitous whether people actually use it or not.
    Two things:
    Garnet does not behave nicely (aka it aint stable) with BT, Wi-Fi, and Cellular to manage. Two out of three of those yes, but most def not all three. No way Palm will black eye themselves in making a cellular device without BT after the fuss they made about Treos being hands-free friendly.

Wi-Fi is not as prevalant a feature in smartphones for reasons most of you have described, mainly the unlimited data one. For those willing to pay for unlimited data, the need for wi-fi becomes much lessened. However, if a carrier can make a solution that uses wi-fi as a service add, then they are sure to let one use it on a device that will not be a support nightmare for them.

In respect to a Wi-Fi Treo, I'd expect to see one, but not until the new kernal is ready for it. Palm cannot afford any more missteps in product releases.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    What many people are missing is that WiFi isn't just about internet, it's about networking. Sure I have EVDO on my phone pretty much everywhere I go, but when at home I'd really like to have access to my LAN. Bluetooth sync is slow and limited in range, while WiFi I could do anywhere in the house. I could also stream videos stored on my PC to watch on my phone while in bed, or access documents in network shares, etc. There are tons of things you can do with WiFi that have nothing to do with a carrier's data usage.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    What many people are missing is that WiFi isn't just about internet, it's about networking. Sure I have EVDO on my phone pretty much everywhere I go, but when at home I'd really like to have access to my LAN. Bluetooth sync is slow and limited in range, while WiFi I could do anywhere in the house. I could also stream videos stored on my PC to watch on my phone while in bed, or access documents in network shares, etc. There are tons of things you can do with WiFi that have nothing to do with a carrier's data usage.
    Bluetooth is slower, yes, 400kbit.. But it CAN be used anywhere it the house, given a Class 1 dongle which is up away from the computers. I have mine on a 2 meter cable attached to the wall, same as I do my WiFi antenna. I can stream music all over the house, front yard, and back yard.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast