Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wifi is a BS feature. With a 3G Treo there is no need. My HTC Wizard had wifi and I used it twice in the 10 months I owned it. The Treo lineup doesn't need wifi.
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I'll also add to the chorus. I've said for a long time that WiFi is pointless on a cellular phone. I'd much rather have Palm focus on fitting a GPS radio in there than a WiFi radio.
    Wifi is GOOD. All you have to do is consider that many, many places don't have 3G/EVDO coverage. There are many places that don't even get a cell signal at all. In buildings, underground whatevers, subways, etc, etc.

One of the most promising uses of Wifi on a phone is what Tmo is just now starting to offer: seamless crossover between voice calls on cell to voice cells over Wifi.

All those customers considering spending $200-400 on an in-home cell repeater cuz signal in their house sucks... well, just hop onto your Wifi intranet in your house to make the calls. Consider hospitals: cell phones are disallowed, but the place is completely blanketed with Wifi!

Wifi is becoming ubiquitous -- going in many places that cell carriers could never go. So why not have your phone tap into those places ?

Of course, the *theory* is right that if you have 3G, you don't need Wifi. But there are many, many places without 3G and it is likely to always be that way...
    I wonder if they plan to have WiMax on the Treos in the near future? WiMax (802.16) is far superior to, and backwards-compatible with WiFi (802.11x). Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    cell phones with high speed data don't need wifi because the slow processor negates any wifi speed advantages. that's why palm is putting wifi in the folio for now.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Ever since I got my n800, I had have the pleasure to access to wifi and evdo both at the same time. You know what, free wifi is a pain in the *** to use. First let me just say that the n800 has one of the best wifi antenna, it can find more access points than most laptops.

HOWEVER, nowadays free access point is very hard to find. For the very few residential access point that are open, majority of them lock out the mac address so you can't really use them. For the public service access points (in library and highway rest area), you need to bring up a disclaimer page and click on 'agree' button first before you can use the internet. However this disclaimer page is designed for wintel laptops and my Linux tablet has a hard time openning it.

The only places I have no problem with wifi are at home and at hotels. You know what, I have just as good a evdo signal in most places as wifi. The so called ubiquitous wifi access is an urban legend. It's harder to gain free wifi access than it use to be.

And getting T-mobile's hotspot wifi plan is more expensive than my evdo data plan. LOL. EVDO ver.A is the future, not wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    HOWEVER, nowadays free access point is very hard to find. For the very few residential access point that are open, majority of them lock out the mac address so you can't really use them. For the public service access points (in library and highway rest area), you need to bring up a disclaimer page and click on 'agree' button first before you can use the internet. However this disclaimer page is designed for wintel laptops and my Linux tablet has a hard time openning it.

The only places I have no problem with wifi are at home and at hotels. You know what, I have just as good a evdo signal in most places as wifi. The so called ubiquitous wifi access is an urban legend. It's harder to gain free wifi access than it use to be.

And getting T-mobile's hotspot wifi plan is more expensive than my evdo data plan. LOL. EVDO ver.A is the future, not wifi.
    Its true that free wifi is not always available. But it still does provide a useful, important option. As far as those agree/click initial pages, my Dash has had no problem negotiating them.

I just came back from a trip to Aspen. Free Wifi was available at several airports along the way, and at the hotels. My Sprint signal, OTOH, was *not* at all of these places, so it was useful to be able to jump onto Wifi and whatever (surf, Slingbox, etc).

It is absolutely not true for me that I can get EVDO everywhere I can get Wifi. Its not even close... Maybe you don't travel much. Let's start with Canada or Europe -- Wifi everywhere. EVDO zip. Or Upstate NY: EVDO coverage *very sparse*. In fact most non-urban areas don't have EVDO.

I wasn't refering to Tmo's hotspot plan (although it is a $10 add-on to their data plans). They have a new option that is Wifi/voice. I believe (but don't quote me) that it is either $10/mo for unlimited Wifi voice OR it just eats up your standard voice plan minutes. I would hope that this trend increases... Certainly Sprint will be pushing WiMax...

Wifi is something that *anyone* can set up, almost anywhere. This means you are not depending on a particular carrier having a tower closeby. Maybe you don't see using it at all, but given the *minimal* incremental cost of adding it to a phone (Palm's incompetence not withstanding), why not just have it in case you need it someday ?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    give me 3G, give me Palm OS, give me GPS and stick it on a GSM network!

im considering a little bluetooth GPS thing for my Treo, i would want that built in more then WIFI!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    BTW: What I don't get is why someone can't adopt the WIFI sled's drivers to work with a WIFI SD card...
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I for one want WIFI for VOIP, because my damn Sprint 700p doesn't work at my stinking house! I understand that AT&T (CinBell here) is doing this very thing with some of thier phones....
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    This discussion is a good example why I think the handheld market needs to allow the users to build their device online, just like you would when you purchase a Dell PC.

Users should be able to login, and pick items such as: slider vs. 1 handed, screen quality, Wi-Fi, GPS, CDMA or GSM (or both), color, battery, internal memory, processor speed, etc.

This may one day happen in the UK where carriers don't have all the control.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    why wifi? because why ****ing not?

honestly, it's not like blue ray or anything insane-it's relatively common

also, trying using evdo is certain parts of enclosed places like hospitals, people
    While my 750 is out of commission (repairville) I am using a Dash. Contrary to my expectations I am using wifi all the time.

My wife has an iPhone. (Replaced her 650, and she loves the iPhone). The wifi is a necessity on the iPhone.

Palm's resistance to wifi seems like bullheaded intransigence in the face of customer demand. (You don't want to fire up wifi? You don't have to. But give it to customers who want it.)

I won't buy a phone without wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    While my 750 is out of commission (repairville) I am using a Dash. Contrary to my expectations I am using wifi all the time.

My wife has an iPhone. (Replaced her 650, and she loves the iPhone). The wifi is a necessity on the iPhone.

Palm's resistance to wifi seems like bullheaded intransigence in the face of customer demand. (You don't want to fire up wifi? You don't have to. But give it to customers who want it.)

It's not like wifi is going to cost Palm an arm and a leg (oops, my bad there; driver development is obviously no longer their forte). Your point is well taken, particualrly if the device lets you seamlessly switch from one to the other.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

Have you asked AT&T, Sprint or Verizon why they haven't ordered a Treo with Wifi from Palm to be made?

Or do you think they have and Palm refused, turning down their business?

You seem to be under the impression you are Palm's customer, not the carriers.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Forget Wifi. If wifi was so "necessary," Wifi accessories would be a top seller. GPS bundles like TomTom instead outsell the less pricey wifi cards.

GPS is the way of the future. Wifi is a stationary solution for a stationary device used by stationary people. GPS is a mobile solution for a mobile device used by mobile people.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
    Forget Wifi. If wifi was so "necessary," Wifi accessories would be a top seller. GPS bundles like TomTom instead outsell the less pricey wifi cards.

GPS is the way of the future. Wifi is a stationary solution for a stationary device used by stationary people. GPS is a mobile solution for a mobile device used by mobile people.
    Surfasb, that was so eloquent. You must know everything about everything. Who would want to do a highspeed wireless sync via wifi? Noone I'm sure. Who has wireless networking and centralized/network storage of documents, music and other media files? Noone I'm sure. Who in their business environment might want to troubleshoot their network or a system from the closest device at hand - their smartphone? Probably nobody in the US. Who has poor/non-EVDO reception in their office or home but highspeed internet through wifi available? Probably only those Europeans. It's a shame that a few non-conformists would actually desire something for their personal benefit in a personal computing device. Oh that you were king.

I hereby nominate thee, Sir Surfasb, to be chair of the Board of Boundless Knowledge (aka the BBK for those less informed.)
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Have you asked AT&T, Sprint or Verizon why they haven't ordered a Treo with Wifi from Palm to be made?

Or do you think they have and Palm refused, turning down their business?

You seem to be under the impression you are Palm's customer, not the carriers.
    Yeah, I know that I am only indirectly Palm's customer. My money filters through from me to Sprint to Palm.

But wait! I bought THREE (count them 1, 2, 3) unlocked unbranded Treos and only one subsidized 700wx from Sprint. Forgot about that. So maybe I am their customer.

But still you are correct. Palm's problem is that they have forgotten who their customer is. If you want to make money, you have to go to where the money is. That's my wallet. If Palm thinks the money comes from the carrier, Palm is corporately mistaken. The carrier is a filter through which money passes from my wallet on the way to the phone manufacturer.

Exhibit A: iPhone. Apple talked to the wallet. Apple didn't talk to ATT. If ATT had any opinions about it, the iPhone would be a bastardized conglomeration of committee-think by B-grad intellects.

Instead, Apple directed its best thinking to a simple question: "How can we liberate $600 from Phil's wallet?" And it has worked. Twice so far (i.e., I have purchased two 8GB iPhones).

I modestly submit that Palm should ask itself a simple question: "How can we cause Malatesta to walk -- nay, run at full tilt -- to Palm HQ waving $100 bills in the air, yelling 'Yes, Yes! I must have it!'"

Apple did this.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 07/16/2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed quotation marks. punctuation police knocked.
    Yeah, I know that I am only indirectly Palm's customer. My money filters through from me to Sprint to Palm.

But wait! I bought THREE (count them 1, 2, 3) unlocked unbranded Treos and only one subsidized 700wx from Sprint. Forgot about that. So maybe I am their customer.

But still you are correct. Palm's problem is that they have forgotten who their customer is. If you want to make money, you have to go to where the money is. That's my wallet. If Palm thinks the money comes from the carrier, Palm is corporately mistaken. The carrier is a filter through which money passes from my wallet on the way to the phone manufacturer.

Exhibit A: iPhone. Apple talked to the wallet. Apple didn't talk to ATT. If ATT had any opinions about it, the iPhone would be a bastardized conglomeration of committee-think by B-grad intellects.

Instead, Apple directed its best thinking to a simple question: "How can we liberate $600 from Phil's wallet?" And it has worked. Twice so far (i.e., I have purchased two 8GB iPhones).

I modestly submit that Palm should ask itself a simple question: "How can we cause Malatesta to walk -- nay, run at full tilt -- to Palm HQ waving $100 bills in the air, yelling 'Yes, Yes! I must have it!'"

Apple did this.

Bingo........
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post

I hereby nominate thee, Sir Surfasb, to be chair of the Board of Boundless Knowledge (aka the BBK for those less informed.)
    I hereby nominate thee "Sir Little Weeny".

There, my reply was just as helpful as yours.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast