Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all the hype of the iPhone, I expected the keyboard issue to be a big deal, thus killing the iPhone. Well according to Walt, it's not an issue. Apple has set a new bar that leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. For people that complain about the squeaky windows, (third party programs, EDGE data network, etc...), I'm sure they will be addressed in iPhone 2.0. I don't think it will be a 700p to 755p upgrade where we buy a new phone to get rid of the treo and have firmware that works!

If the iPhone was on other carriers, then I would switch immediately with the iPhone 2.0 when they get it on a faster data network. It's too bad that it's on AT&T only.

Walt, although an Apple enthusiast, might be a bit biased, but is usually fair and has great insights into technology. In some ways I wish I could say that I didn't want an iPhone because the keyboard doesn't work. However, I must say that after Walt's review, I want one.

Maybe Palm can take another step and create a Treo 2000 (maybe 20000 since we all know how the incremental updates are!)

Take a look...

http://solution.allthingsd.com/20070...held-computer/
    Actually if you ignore the good bits there are plenty of bad bits that will ensure Palm is pretty safe.

Surur
    DISCLAIMER: This is a personal judgement thread/post based on the article and is not meant to discourage or belittle ppl planning to get an iPhone!

I notice Walt and co state a few facts that do sound inconvenient for the phone that is supposed to be easier to use than any other:

There’s also no way to cut, copy, or paste text.

And the lack of dedicated hardware buttons for functions like phone, email and contacts means extra taps are needed to start using features. Also, if you are playing music while doing something else, the lack of hardware playback buttons forces you to return to the iPod program to stop the music or change a song.
    Also

Phone calls: The phone interface is clean and simple, but takes more taps to reach than on many other smart phones, because there are no dedicated hardware phone buttons. You also cannot just start typing a name or number, but must scroll through a list of favorites, through your recent call list, or your entire contact list. You can also use a virtual keypad.

What I get from this is that the iPhone will be fun but not quick...

The biggest plus seems to be the battery time (as long as it doesn't need replacing)

I also wonder then based on this statement - what does the SIM card store if not contacts? Seems EVERYTHING goes through iTunes rather than is aided by it (and I hate iTunes)...

A downside—there’s no easy way to transfer phone numbers, via AT&T, directly from an existing phone. The iPhone is meant to sync with an address book (and calendar) on a PC
    And finally this definitely convinces me to wait a bit on version 2 or 3 (the no video is surprising!)

The only add-on software Apple is allowing will be Web-based programs that must be accessed through the on-board Web browser. The company says these can be made to look just like built-in programs, but the few we tried weren’t impressive.

Missing features: The iPhone is missing some features common on some competitors. There’s no instant messaging, only standard text messaging. While its two megapixel camera took excellent pictures in our tests, it can’t record video. Its otherwise excellent Web browser can’t fully utilize some Web sites, because it doesn’t yet support Adobe’s Flash technology. Although the phone contains a complete iPod, you can’t use your songs as ringtones. There aren’t any games, nor is there any way to directly access Apple’s iTunes Music Store.

Apple says it plans to add features to the phone over time, via free downloads, and hints that some of these holes may be filled.

Expectations for the iPhone have been so high that it can’t possibly meet them all. It isn’t for the average person who just wants a cheap, small phone for calling and texting. But, despite its network limitations, the iPhone is a whole new experience and a pleasure to use.
    Hopefully, the wait for version 2 of the iPhone will give Palm enough time to prepare for the Treo Phone we have been waiting for...
    I love all the sour grapes posted here. It that to make us Treo owners feel good about owning phones that are 3 years out of date. Sure the iphone has faults. But its about 20x more exciting then anything Palm has cranked out lately.
    Expectations for the iPhone have been so high that it can’t possibly meet them all. It isn’t for the average person who just wants a cheap, small phone for calling and texting. But, despite its network limitations, the iPhone is a whole new experience and a pleasure to use.

Honestly I hardly see any innovation in the iPhone. Visual voicemail is something I could do without, its not a necessity but I guess it could be pretty cool. As much as some of us can't stand the Treo problems, it still does almost everything the iPhone can.

I'd like to test out an iPhone just to play around with it. I might love it, I'll never know until I actually play with it. There is stuff that is missing that I would not buy because of it, such as IM (I chose the Treo instead of the Motorola Q because of that).
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    I love all the sour grapes posted here. It that to make us Treo owners feel good about owning phones that are 3 years out of date. Sure the iphone has faults. But its about 20x more exciting then anything Palm has cranked out lately.
    THIS....IS....TREOCENTRAL.COM!

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Very True.I think Palm is in trouble.Samsung,Moto will catch up within a year.Palm has a Bad track record And it will not change anytime soon.There new fooleo tells us that story.For God sakes the cant even Dump the very crippled garnet platform..
    I dont dislike Palm and love my WX but it,s time to look at facts.
    No sour grapes just reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    THIS....IS....TREOCENTRAL.COM!

So what if it is? Just because I own a Treo, doesn't mean I have to spew sour grapes toward the competition. With regards to the iPhone, I for one am happy that Apple will sell a ton of them. It will give them incentive to improve the device ala iPod. That's more than I can say for the lousy incremental updates to the Treo line.

Very True.I think Palm is in trouble.Samsung,Moto will catch up within a year.Palm has a Bad track record And it will not change anytime soon.There new fooleo tells us that story.For God sakes the cant even Dump the very crippled garnet platform..
    I dont dislike Palm and love my WX but it,s time to look at facts.
    No sour grapes just reality.
    Right on Phil! I sure hope Palm has more than just the Gandalf waiting in the wings to wow both the WM and POS crowd!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  10.    #10  
    A couple of intersting things relative to Treos are
    1) The battery life is amazing. They must have very efficient software to extend the battery that long vs a Treo, Samsung, Moto, etc. That's crazy that they are doing WIFI with long battery life! Wasn't that Palm's excuse for a long time?

2) The phone is scratch resistent. How many times has your treo been scratched for something very minor?
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    So what if it is? Just because I own a Treo, doesn't mean I have to spew sour grapes toward the competition. With regards to the iPhone, I for one am happy that Apple will sell a ton of them. It will give them incentive to improve the device ala iPod. That's more than I can say for the lousy incremental updates to the Treo line.
    lol it was a joke! What you call sour grapes others call pointed or insightful criticisms 9depends on if you share the views put forward)...I myself would love an iPhone if even to try it out..but at that price it has to be worth it and so far I think not. My old SE t681 was not the greatest phone my s tretch of the imagination..but for $30 it was worth what it was...I think the iPhone will push the nevelope of the whole industry which is a good thing..but I will not be one of those early adopters, and a wholsesale labelling of opinions and contributions to a forum that go against that holy grain as "sour grapes" is the kind of thing Leonidas doesn't stand for

Perhaps you haven't considered that finally Palm will get the wakeup call you've been praying for with this and actually come even better? Experience may not say so..but then again the newton experience didn't hold much hope for Apple either.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post

Right on Phil! I sure hope Palm has more than just the Gandalf waiting in the wings to wow both the WM and POS crowd!
    hmm updates to the treo line Oh yes that darn antenna thing ,little thinner and A2DP.
    The Garnet users have got it better though.No antenna with BT that kind of works better.
    Palms on a roll
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    A couple of intersting things relative to Treos are
    1) The battery life is amazing. They must have very efficient software to extend the battery that long vs a Treo, Samsung, Moto, etc. That's crazy that they are doing WIFI with long battery life! Wasn't that Palm's excuse for a long time?

2) The phone is scratch resistent. How many times has your treo been scratched for something very minor?
    The real tradeoff may be the type of battery (not being replaceable)...i wonder how much mAh it rates at compared to the swappable ones other phones have? As many ppl seem to have a problem with having to send their iPods (and now iPhones) in for battery replacement it's a tradeoff some ppl live with...
    I'm going to wait for version 2.0 on the iphone. I'm going to wait for 3g. I am going to wait until someone other than AT&T provides service. Blah Blah Blah. After listening to xm all day on my Treo, looking at all my e-mail, watching a movie all at work I might add, I am now going to watch Slingbox just because I can before going to sleep in my bed instead of a line outside the Apple store. With my iphony interface and my 8g card, $599 in my pocket and a $29.62 SERO bill (insurance included)for more service than AT&T can provide for $80 before taxes and insurance, I will feel sleep quite well. Long live TREO, long live PALM. I can even be happy if I crap away my $599 on a Foleo.
    This is how I look at the iPhone rollout will be. I am an iPod user, and for me, the iPod is a true upgrade feature and useability vs the iPod.

There will be a number of first time users that will buy the iPhone regardless of what it does not have compared to a WM6 or a Palm or Symbian OS phone. That's Steve Jobs first target clients.

For those users, it is the best purchase they made. How it plays out in the business world, that may be until the next generation of iPhone. By that time, either the competition has stepped up the plate and up the ante of features and functionality combined with a stable device (no resets ) or these companies have been overwhelmed by the iPhone success and cannot deliver.
    599 for a Foleo hmm thats alot of crap f,sure.Palm is getting left in the dust guys.I wish palm had the talent and smarts to make something really happen for there faithfull customers.
    We will be having this conversion for years to come and then it will finally hit.....The treo will have wifi
    The iPhone isn't a Treo. However - Palm support isn't Apple support. For those who paid well over $600 for the Treo expecting the multimedia experience - which is nearly all hype - Palm has lost those customers forever. I like the iPod experience for music - but Palm's continual kludging along with the 2.5mm headset and skippy Pockettunes basic ("extra" for internet radio) is just disgusting for a company that should know by now they are under the gun. We suffer through their foibles because changing 10+ years of apps isn't a picnic, but for those "80% of Treo users don't use third-party software" Palm could easily become a dead duck if faced with competition. And the 20% of us that are left don't appreciate the lousy support that led to over a year without even reliable bluetooth support on the 700p. I *remember* when I get screwed out of several hundred dollars and have to add 10 months of contract commitment and lose my upgrade rebate because a certain phone manufacturer lied about the basic capabilities of their 700p (and apparently MR1.10 isn't reported to have completely fixed the problem). If iPhone and others destroy Palm, it will only be Palm's own insolent bubble to blame.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    The iPhone isn't a Treo. However - Palm support isn't Apple support. For those who paid well over $600 for the Treo expecting the multimedia experience - which is nearly all hype - Palm has lost those customers forever. I like the iPod experience for music - but Palm's continual kludging along with the 2.5mm headset and skippy Pockettunes basic ("extra" for internet radio) is just disgusting for a company that should know by now they are under the gun. We suffer through their foibles because changing 10+ years of apps isn't a picnic, but for those "80% of Treo users don't use third-party software" Palm could easily become a dead duck if faced with competition. And the 20% of us that are left don't appreciate the lousy support that led to over a year without even reliable bluetooth support on the 700p. I *remember* when I get screwed out of several hundred dollars and have to add 10 months of contract commitment and lose my upgrade rebate because a certain phone manufacturer lied about the basic capabilities of their 700p (and apparently MR1.10 isn't reported to have completely fixed the problem). If iPhone and others destroy Palm, it will only be Palm's own insolent bubble to blame.
    The 755 battery ripcord lol lol lol.
    That sucks They left you guys without a reset hole.Palm must have alot of faith in there new 755p.
    I have had the T300, T600, T650, and now the T755. I have read complaints of many Treo users over the years about the minor upgrades that palm does, but yet we keep on buying each incremental upgrade, as minor as they are. I broke my cycle and didn't get the T700, T700wx, or the T680. I will continue to break the cycle. I will no longer get a minor upgraded treo. One of the reasons I broke down was the 3G on the T755. I am satisfied with the other upgrades on the 755. If the Iphone was on sprint I would definately try it. From the wall street review, and other research, it is a very innovative phone. The style, functionality, design, etc. etc. I thought the virtual keypad would quash my appetite for one, but it appears it will not be an issue (I still think a treo actual keypad will be quicker for typing). I hope they sell a boat load, maybe the competition will make Palm stop rationing out the uprades. Competition is great for innovation.
    Lets send Palm a message by not buying the minor upgraded Treo's.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    The phone is scratch resistent. How many times has your treo been scratched for something very minor?
    Never.

I've used Palms & Treos for nearly 10 years, never used screen protectors and rarely a case, carried them in my pocket, generally abused them, and the only scratches I had were in the Graffiti input area (which never seemed to affect input, so I didn't worry too much). I'm not noted for being careful with my phones (I once distractedly threw my mobile at a wasp that was bothering me, much to the amusement of my co-workers!). Have I been lucky, or have others been unlucky - who knows?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast