Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hopefully, Palm has a few poorly-selling Treos (how are 750 and 755 sales doing?) to get them off their butts. Maybe the rumored 800w is in response to the supposedly poorly selling Treo 750. Anyone here could have told you a Treo without WiFi wouldn't sell in Europe, where unlimited data plans are as rare as... well, smartphones without WiFi.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Never.

I've used Palms & Treos for nearly 10 years, never used screen protectors and rarely a case, carried them in my pocket, generally abused them, and the only scratches I had were in the Graffiti input area (which never seemed to affect input, so I didn't worry too much). I'm not noted for being careful with my phones (I once distractedly threw my mobile at a wasp that was bothering me, much to the amusement of my co-workers!). Have I been lucky, or have others been unlucky - who knows?
    Ditto here. The only blemishes I ever had were from dropping the thing on concrete(nothing a new housing off ebay didn't fix), & from an errant knife in my purse literally stabbing my old 650's screen & putting a tiny gouge in it.

Now my iPod on the other hand... I can't even TOUCH that thing w/o scratching it. Its gotten scratched up by the very cases I bought to protect the stupid thing!
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Hopefully, the wait for version 2 of the iPhone will give Palm enough time to prepare for the Treo Phone we have been waiting for...
    Which would be what?
    This is the same phone with a new housing, hidden antenna, more memory, and maybe an alternate OS every few years. Same thick phone with a keyboard, half-assed Bluetooth, no universal WIFI for all versions.
    And that damn faulty 2.5mm jack, don't even think they'll ever change that thing.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    599 for a Foleo hmm thats alot of crap f,sure.Palm is getting left in the dust guys.I wish palm had the talent and smarts to make something really happen for there faithfull customers.
    We will be having this conversion for years to come and then it will finally hit.....The treo will have wifi
    hmm...I was wrong.Wifi in the treo may never hit.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...56#post1296356
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    So what if it is? Just because I own a Treo, doesn't mean I have to spew sour grapes toward the competition. With regards to the iPhone, I for one am happy that Apple will sell a ton of them. It will give them incentive to improve the device ala iPod. That's more than I can say for the lousy incremental updates to the Treo line.

Right on Phil! I sure hope Palm has more than just the Gandalf waiting in the wings to wow both the WM and POS crowd!
    Hopefully our board will send a message to corporate Palm that change has to come now, not later. One year from now, it is going to be a different story. Hope Palm is in the running by that time. Yes this is a Treo Central forum but the posts are being made about the iphone because we want to see improvements from Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    The iPhone isn't a Treo. However - Palm support isn't Apple support. For those who paid well over $600 for the Treo expecting the multimedia experience - which is nearly all hype - Palm has lost those customers forever. I like the iPod experience for music - but Palm's continual kludging along with the 2.5mm headset and skippy Pockettunes basic ("extra" for internet radio) is just disgusting for a company that should know by now they are under the gun. We suffer through their foibles because changing 10+ years of apps isn't a picnic, but for those "80% of Treo users don't use third-party software" Palm could easily become a dead duck if faced with competition. And the 20% of us that are left don't appreciate the lousy support that led to over a year without even reliable bluetooth support on the 700p. I *remember* when I get screwed out of several hundred dollars and have to add 10 months of contract commitment and lose my upgrade rebate because a certain phone manufacturer lied about the basic capabilities of their 700p (and apparently MR1.10 isn't reported to have completely fixed the problem). If iPhone and others destroy Palm, it will only be Palm's own insolent bubble to blame.

Let's not forget that when the released the MR, the BT in somes cases became more difficult to connect with devices. Why would Palm release another Phone (the 755p) that the lag is inherent to the hardware design of the phone as Steve Sinclair stated!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I thought Walt's review was pretty accurate, pretty in tune with what's been posted here.

The way I read it, Walt said the iPhone has some features never before seen on a phone, but, that it's also missing some things that might be key to some users. Pretty much what's been posted here.

The only thing new I got from his review was that the battery seems to be better than we're making it out to be.

The iPhone is great if a slow network, no Office support, or third party apps don't matter much to you. I also noticed where there's already an Exchange tie in. That's a good start. When they add the rest of the stuff I need, and if Palm hasn't answered the bell, I'll take a look.
    If not for the 3rd party hardware & applications on the Treo 650 and 700p they would easily win first place for worst phone of modern times.

“Think about it.”

They came shipped with no IM, no Flash, no explorer, no card reader, no MP3 ringbones, no GPS, no Opera browser, no Splash photo, no support for 4GB SD cards on the 650, no support for 8GB SD cards on the 700p, no volume care, no TCPMP and Kinoma player.

I realize this is the past but some of the things on this list are still missing today and theirs no excuse for not having a built in file explorer.

Another annoying factor is that Palm’s own photo album corrupts data. They need to chuck it and replace it with Splash photo’s core & then add in a video camera that works like Live!’s (Minus its bugs).

So with all this in mind Id say that the i-Phone is off to a rather good start (battery issue aside) compared to Palm’s OS and that Microsoft is way out front.
    iphone or not, the Palm lineup is weak at best. They havent had any major revisions since the 650. Reintroducing tweaked designs isnt going to cut it in this day and age of increasing technology monthly at a rapid rate.

Palm's profits fell significantly by 43% (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...-in-profit/)and there wont even be linux until 2008 at the earliest its looking like (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...ng-until-2008/).

im not saying they wont be back in it next year, but its not great signs the direction theyre currently headed. cant blame the iphone or anyone but themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    iphone or not, the Palm lineup is weak at best. They havent had any major revisions since the 650. Reintroducing tweaked designs isnt going to cut it in this day and age of increasing technology monthly at a rapid rate.

Palm's profits fell significantly by 43% (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...-in-profit/)and there wont even be linux until 2008 at the earliest its looking like (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...ng-until-2008/).

im not saying they wont be back in it next year, but its not great signs the direction theyre currently headed. cant blame the iphone or anyone but themselves
    Exactly. I don't see SE or nokia's market falling due to the iPhone (at least not yet) but Palm has been dawdling even b4 the iPhone...you get the feeling for them it's either time to play it big or leave the stage ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    So what if it is? Just because I own a Treo, doesn't mean I have to spew sour grapes toward the competition. With regards to the iPhone, I for one am happy that Apple will sell a ton of them. It will give them incentive to improve the device ala iPod. That's more than I can say for the lousy incremental updates to the Treo line.

Right on Phil! I sure hope Palm has more than just the Gandalf waiting in the wings to wow both the WM and POS crowd!

I can't see how Gandalf is going to wow with the Win Mobile 6 interface, it might do better with the non touch Palm OS. Palm is not and has not wooed and wowed anyone for sometime. They are on the ground but not picking themselves up. Now with competition from RIM and Apple they are going to lose some market share. At least Steve Jobs showed a little of his phone 5 months before it's release but Palm has done nothing. I see no reports that the Foleo is wooing and wowing. How much time does Palm have?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12