1.    #1  
    Hi,

Broadband on GSM Treo w/Palm OS... how long???

Will this require the new Linux OS or will a stop gap Treo be coming with broadband on GSM soon? The 755p just added broadband speed on CDMA. Is there a technical barrier for a 755p with GSM broadband without having to wait for the new LInux OS?

Why do new Treos come out first on CDMA instead of GSM? Isn't the GSM market share greater?

Thanks in advance.
    Broadband is entirely dependent on the carriers. OS has nothing to do with it. Well it does, but only nominally. The only thing it has to do with it is the bit of code that it needs to operate the data chip in the device.

Cingular, T-Mo, etc have not released broadband technologies on their networks yet so therefore no phones can utilize it regardless of their OS or radios. Blame the carriers, not the phones. There's HSDPA for GSM which is slowish broadband, speeds that CDMA has had for a while now, but it isn't widely enough deployed yet for manufacturers to justify making many phones with HSDPA radios. So yell at your provider if you want broadband. This is the only reason why I chose CDMA in fact, b/c GSM carriers are too slow in their deployment of new technologies. Sure, I'd love to be able to swap sims & roam all over the world, but I'd rather have a webpage load in 5 seconds versus 45 :/
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    The WM Treo 750 has HSDPA, theoretically 1.8 Mb/sec. Palm has said PalmOS is holding them back on this front. PalmLinux should be here by next year though.

Surur
    CDMA is the better technology IMO : Code Division Multiple Access. Both data and voice are separated from signals using codes and then transmited using a wide frequency range. Because of this, there are more space left for data transfer (this was one of the reasons why CDMA is the prefered technology for the 3G generation, which is broadband access and the use of big multimedia messages). 14% of the worldwide market goes to CDMA. For the 3G generation CDMA uses 1x EV-DO and EV-DV. It has a lot of users in Asia, specially in South Korea.

On the other hand GSM: stands for Global System Mobile. Even though it is sold as "the latest technology" in several countries, this technology is older than CDMA (and also TDMA). But keep in mind that this doesn't mean that GSM is inferior or worse than CDMA. Roaming readiness and fraud prevention are two major advantages from this technology. GSM is the most used cell phone technology in the world, with 73% of the worldwide market. It has a very strong presence in Europe.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Broadband is entirely dependent on the carriers. OS has nothing to do with it. Well it does, but only nominally.
    KA,
    Beg to differ here. The Treo 750 has "broadband GSM", while the 680 does not. Pretty much everyone knows that Frankengarnet is not up to the task required by HSPDA, that's why no Palm OS models handle it. EVDO is more straightforward, so the PDA OS designed as a bridge to OS6 can actually handle it.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    ...Cingular, T-Mo, etc have not released broadband technologies on their networks yet so therefore no phones can utilize it regardless of their OS or radios. Blame the carriers, not the phones. There's HSDPA for GSM which is slowish broadband, speeds that CDMA has had for a while now, but it isn't widely enough deployed yet for manufacturers to justify making many phones with HSDPA radios. So yell at your provider if you want broadband. This is the only reason why I chose CDMA in fact, b/c GSM carriers are too slow in their deployment of new technologies. Sure, I'd love to be able to swap sims & roam all over the world, but I'd rather have a webpage load in 5 seconds versus 45 :/
    This is not exactly true. HSDPA speeds equal or exceed CDMA in all of their markets; its just not as widespread as Sprint's and Verizon's footprint. For example, in San Antonio a few weeks ago, I consistently got 700-800 k tethered and untethered. The Marriott in-room broadband never exceeded 600k.

CDMA is more widespread, but Cngular has released broadband in many of its major markets.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    KA,
    Beg to differ here. The Treo 750 has "broadband GSM", while the 680 does not. Pretty much everyone knows that Frankengarnet is not up to the task required by HSPDA, that's why no Palm OS models handle it. EVDO is more straightforward, so the PDA OS designed as a bridge to OS6 can actually handle it.
    HSDPA requires a true multi-tasking OS because it has to support voice and data concurrently. Version 1 of EV-DO doesn't support simultaneous voice and data. The next version (Rev. A?) does require a multi-tasking OS because it does require voice & data.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Apparently not. Rev A will come without simultaneous voice and data, at least until they implement VOIP in the networks, around 2009.

Surur