Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I'm a Verizon user, and planning to stay with Verizon. VZW has just come out with a nice new Blackberry, the 8830. Its a dual-band phone, both CDMA and GSM, making it a true worldphone. Verizon's roaming rates abroad are reasonable, making the need for an unlocked phone moot. But I'll have to wait for a Treo, as it cannot run my trusty Epocrates for my medical office. www.epocrates.com So....

I'm waiting for a Treo, presumably an 800x. My wish list includes:

1. Dual band, CDMA and GSM World Phone
    2. 256 MB of memory.
    3. MicroSD that can run a big 4 GB card
    4. Not only GPS capable, but can run VZNavigator without having to pay for the data package like my LG cellphone (8300).
    5. Palm operating system but can do anything Windows Mobile can do.

That's it, I'm easy to please....heheh!

Roger
    I'm thinking more like the Treo 2100 or 2200 in terms of nomenclature. That would be my guess for Palm bringing that at the current rate. Remember, they're still trying to figure out if a market for WiFi actually exists.

My other predictions by the release date:
    Jenna Bush will be in her 2nd term as President
    Spiderman 17 will be in theaters
    Pete Rose will be in the Hall of Fame
    Global Cooling will again be on Time magazine's cover, because of the discovery of Hell and its recently frozen state.

Patrick Horne
    Isn't one of the rumors for the 800wx (WM version) that it will be a dual gsm/cdma world phone like the balckberry 8830?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I want to know if there's going to be an 800p or not. I heard someplace around here that Sprint passed on the 800p, and will just have the 800w. I want someone to tell me it's not true! Perry? Are you there?
    I just got a mogul 6800 upgrading from a 700p. For me, I'd buy a treoo 800 (w or P) if it had:

1. a 3.5 inch screen.
    2. Resolution of 320 by 320 at least..480 by 320 would be ideal
    3. GPS. None of this carrier blocked or subscriber crud. i want real GPS so I can use google maps to find my way

On a network like Sprint or Verizon since the network on ATT, Tmobile blows until they eventually upgrade in a few years.

I don't really care for windows on my phone since it's so intensive...it gets alone well with my pc however which is nice. But for my email and other apps I use Google--its far superior to outlook. Even though I know google spies on me
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    can someone tell me what the point of having a "dual band world phone" is??

i cant get that answer out of anyone, just buy a GSM treo.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post

you would want that if you went overseas a lot, but could not use att in the place you reside. This is my guess anyway...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

GSM service to me seems to have much worse reception and call quality compared to CDMA. That's just been my experience in Southern California. I'd love to switch over to Tmobile or Cingular and use all those cool sim card world phones, just can't beat the crystal clear calls I get on Sprint.

THe ability to use Sprint or Verizon's 1xEvDo data while still being able to roam overseas on gsm while traveling without having to get a different phone!!! That is huge dude!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Call quality really shouldn't be much different on CDMA vs GSM.

CDMA networks have much better data. The GSM guys have not figured out how to upgrade their networks yet.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    GSM does need to get their data together here in the United States, its finally coming a little together.

Call Quality: thats weird, I get better quality on my 680 then my friends 755p which is on Sprint. 680 on T-Mobile. I find myself saying "are you still there" when both people on the phone stop talking, its THAT clear. huh, maybe its just Los Angeles that is like that...
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    There are two things I really want:
    • A *REAL* GPS (not tower-assisted) with US + Europe maps available for purchase
    • A folded-optics 3 megapixel-plus camera with optical zoom, real focusing, and a flash. Basically something as good as a cheap, ultra-portable digital camera.

Things that would be nice:
    • Faster memory. I miss the Treo 600's speed
    • More on-board memory
    • 3G data

Things I care less about:
    • WiFi: Softick PPP is adequate, and the pain of dealing with WEP passwords and the unavoidable battery drain make this a low priority
    • Size: If it'll replace something else I'm carrying, it's an improvement.
    • Cost. If it's a great phone, I'm going to buy it.
    Here's my Wish List:

ALP or Linux PalmOS with Garnet compatability
    SD slot with SDHC capability (I want those 8GB cards)
    Touch Screen
    Bluetooth 2.0
    USB 2.0 with USB mini connection
    WiFi
    EVDO Rev A
    Integrated GPS Reciever
    Large internal RAM (512MB-1GB)
    Querty keyboard
    Camera with LED flash
    400+ MHz ARM CPU (we haven't seen an actual upgrade in the phone's CPU since the 650)

I don't care who builds the thing (although I'd prefer it was anyone other than Palm due to their poor service of late) if it has all those features I'll buy it. Until then I'll just keep insurance on my 700p and use it until it dies and get a new something for free. I refuse to actually spend money on these crappy incremental upgrades Palm keeps putting out using technology that's 5 years obsolete.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I could definitely go for more memory first (look at the problems the Mogul is having running out of RAM on WM6) and more screen real estate second.

GPS would also be nice.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Simple....Verizon uses CDMA technology, while Cingular uses GSM, same technology as Vodafone in Europe, Airtel and others in India. Verizon does have some world phones that are dual band, but the 8830 is the first Blackberry they have that is dual band. The reviews on CNET say that while the voice connection is fine world-wide, the data capability is poor. One guy took his SIM card and battery out after arriving in France, and that completely killed the Verizon 8830, he had nothing but a black screen till he came back to the US! No email in India for instance, even though its a dual band. In fact, after seeing all those reviews of the Blackberry 8830 on CNET, I've decided that it would be great to have it, but I wont count on being able to use email abroad with such a phone. In any case, I don't care. I only rely on my phone in my profession (medicine) and not email. In fact while on vacation my office email just says I'm on vacation! I was looking to use the Treo to run my most favorite program, epocrates (see www.epocrates.com)
    Roger
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I've been looking at reviews of Windows vs. Palm Treos over in CNET.com. It appears that people give awfully bad ratings for the Windows Mobile versions as compared to the Palm ones. So even when the 800 comes out, I certainly don't think I'd like to buy the Windows Mobile version....
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Simple....Verizon uses CDMA technology, while Cingular uses GSM, same technology as Vodafone in Europe, Airtel and others in India. Verizon does have some world phones that are dual band, but the 8830 is the first Blackberry they have that is dual band. The reviews on CNET say that while the voice connection is fine world-wide, the data capability is poor. One guy took his SIM card and battery out after arriving in France, and that completely killed the Verizon 8830, he had nothing but a black screen till he came back to the US! No email in India for instance, even though its a dual band. In fact, after seeing all those reviews of the Blackberry 8830 on CNET, I've decided that it would be great to have it, but I wont count on being able to use email abroad with such a phone. In any case, I don't care. I only rely on my phone in my profession (medicine) and not email. In fact while on vacation my office email just says I'm on vacation! I was looking to use the Treo to run my most favorite program, epocrates (see www.epocrates.com)
    Roger

Skyscape now has 90% of their medical content now available for the BB'S
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."

Exactly, I'd love a phone like that.
    But keep the nav buttons.
    Throw in a zippy CPU and it'd be a hit.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Wow. Sign me up.

This is what would sell for Palm. Big time. Left and right of the earpiece may also have some room for hard buttons (ala Mogul) - along with a jog dial on the side or a trackball (ala BB Pearl). This would rock!! I would shell out some dough for it for sure.

Oh, and put a decent vibrate in the thing. I leave my handset on about 90% of the time. I miss calls allot because I can't feel the dang Treo.
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 07/02/2007 at 07:13 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast