1.    #1  
    RIM patented this. Wouldn't it be great for a garage door style keyboard treo? Big screen and a keyboard!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/r...urable-keypad/
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    LOL, when I first read this, I thought it was using the IR to make your Treo operate like a garage door opener.

So, this patent from RIM allows them to somehow slide the screen over certain keys, thus affording larger screen realestate?

This would be ideal. That way you could still have 1 handed operation for phone / text / navigation - but use the larger screen option for web browsing and movies.

This would be insanely attractive to me. Wow.
    Now...that is what I call innovative!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I was just going to comment on this! It would prevent the Treo from becoming thinner, but I would definitely go for this! But the question of its durability looms in the forefront of my mind!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    BMIC50, do you mean that it would prevent the Treo from becomming thinner due to the requirements of the clearnance needed around the edges to bring the keys up? Hmm, I guess I agree with that.

Although, a new Treo with HSPDA, new BT 2.0, and this unique feature - all sporting the form factor of a 755 would really be awesome. I would be all over it.
    Let's just hope RIM buys Palm, and then we can have it.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    LOL, when I first read this, I thought it was using the IR to make your Treo operate like a garage door opener.

So, this patent from RIM allows them to somehow slide the screen over certain keys, thus affording larger screen realestate?

This would be ideal. That way you could still have 1 handed operation for phone / text / navigation - but use the larger screen option for web browsing and movies.

This would be insanely attractive to me. Wow.

Not to quibble but I think its the keys that slide over the screen not vice versa.

maybe thats what you were saying but I read it as the opposite.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    It's innovative... but not impressive.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Not to quibble but I think its the keys that slide over the screen not vice versa.

maybe thats what you were saying but I read it as the opposite.
    No you read it correctly. And, you are right. The keys slide over, not the other way around.
    The Treo is still just as thick as a garage door opener. But, it's slowly making progress.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I imagine when you pull it out, the phone will simulate the sound too.
    OMG. I've thot about that for a couple of years now. Man, that looks awesome in function. Gives you the keyboard and the big screen with little fuss. Still adds to the thickness tho.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I imagine when you pull it out, the phone will simulate the sound too.
    I love it!
    Patrick Horne