Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope you all can help by offering some advice, suggestions, ideas and reason.

I currently use a Palm TX. It is my first Palm device. When I first got it I wasn't altogether sure what I would use it for. Now I can't imagine life without it. I keep my checking account on it, my grocery list (so nice to be able to mark an item as needed rather than try to remember or scribble on paper only to lose it). It entertained me when having to wait long periods of time by watching movies, t.v. shows, listening to music. It keeps all my contacts in one place so I can call someone from work if needed. It keeps my calendar...but surprisingly I don't rely on it that heavily for that. I'm more of a visual person and I find the small calendar incapable of giving me the visual I need. But it's great in a pinch when I quickly need to know what conference room I'm supposed to be in.

I play games on it, read the occaisional book, and keep an Excel file with my budget on it that I can work on whenever I need to. I have all my login and passwords on it and a diet and exercise program (that I should use more often). I have used it as a GPS in the past (and it's been great for that!).

You get the idea.

What I don't use it for is e-mail, and I don't text message except once in a while when my step son sends me one...my generation isn't so much into all this instant messaging and texting stuff. I have wifi which I do love (sync via wifi at home) and I could use Versamail to get my e-mail, but choose not to since it's more of a "sync" push than a true push. I know the Treo doesn't have wifi but I can live with that...I only use it at home.

I know this is getting long winded...please bear with me. I never dreamed I would do so much stuff with my TX. I love technology and electronics (and am female...I would rather spend 2 hours in a Best Buy then Kohls). I still continue to stumble on things I can do with my TX.

The confusion on whether I need a Treo is here...I definitely have and will keep a cell phone. I definitely have and will keep my TX (or some other Palm device). I definitely do not have a data package and question if/what I would really use it for. But reality is...if you look at my history I find new ways to use my electronics. I suspect if I had a data plan I would find lots of uses for it.

So what do you use your Treo for that the data plan covers, and do you think I need a treo given everything I just said? I should probably mention that my goal is to try to only have one device that I can take to meetings, yet still be reachable in an emergency. One other thing I didn't mention...it would be nice to be able to discreetly record my meetings. I can't do that with the TX at all. If I get a flip case for the Treo, will it look more like a PDA (which would be acceptable to bring to a meeting), or will it be obvious it is a phone (not quite so acceptable to bring to a meeting)?

Boy...I'm all over the place. Bottom line...any feedback, advice, help, suggestions, confirmation or outright denial that I should pursue a Treo is appreciated.
    I say get a Treo, mostly because of the convenience of just carrying one device.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Yes
  4.    #4  
    LOL...great, informative responses.

So what do you use your data plan for...and what do you use it for you never thought of but now couldn't live without?

I also am trying to figure out what an "average" amount of data use is. I'm with Verizon (waiting for July 4th for them to sell the 755p) and their data plan is ridiculously high, but they do offer a smaller, 25 meg plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    The confusion on whether I need a Treo is here...I definitely have and will keep a cell phone. I definitely have and will keep my TX (or some other Palm device). I definitely do not have a data package and question if/what I would really use it for. But reality is...if you look at my history I find new ways to use my electronics. I suspect if I had a data plan I would find lots of uses for it.
    I think you will really enjoy it if your goal is to have one device. I started with a Palm III and an old Nokia years ago. But I found it to be a pain to carry 2 devices. That was my main reason to go to the smartphone and now Treo.

I am with Sprint, so I am currently getting unlimited data for $10 a month. What do I do with it? Anything and everything...from streaming music and watching TV to looking up movie schedules, restaurants, viewing traffic cameras to find better routes, email, news, etc. For example, I went to CircuitCity last weekend and saw a DLP that I really liked. Instead of listening to the CS rep sales pitch I went online to read CNET's review. Then I read the reviews of people that had bought the DLP. Once I decided that I would like to buy it, I searched for prices throughout the internet and found it cheaper at various locations. All this while standing in front of the TV. In the past I would have had to write down the model number and go home to do the research. That is very convenient.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70 View Post
    ...[snip] For example, I went to CircuitCity last weekend and saw a DLP that I really liked. Instead of listening to the CS rep sales pitch I went online to read CNET's review. Then I read the reviews of people that had bought the DLP. Once I decided that I would like to buy it, I searched for prices throughout the internet and found it cheaper at various locations. All this while standing in front of the TV. In the past I would have had to write down the model number and go home to do the research. That is very convenient. ... [/snip]
    Wow...that is an awesome example of a great way to use the Treo! Thank you.
    I use mine to check and compare prices at stores all the time too. I'll be at Best Buy and they've got this Hard Drive on sale for what seems like an incredible deal, and then go to Newegg.com and find out I could get one twice as big for the same price. Keeps me from making bad impulse purchases.

That and you won't believe how useful Google Maps can be when you're lost, or trying not to get lost, or know where you are but don't know how to get to where you need to be. After having gotten used to those features, I'd have a very hard time giving it up.

There's plenty of other things you can do with the data to. I stream music through PocketTunes into my car stereo when there's nothing good on the radio. I also stream music when at work because I can't stream audio on the corporate network (against policy). Granted I could get an 8GB HDSD card to stick in and carry all my music with me, but this works pretty good.

Using the data plan to tether to your notebook is extraordinarily useful on road trips, too. Almost every major interstate in the US has EVDO coverage with Sprint, so I've been known to log into forums and online games while sitting in the passenger seat going 80mph down the highway. Yes, it's super geeky. Yes, it's also super fun. Just don't forget to look out the window at the pretty scenery every once in awhile (unless you're driving at night).

So...those are just a few things I use my Treo for, on the data side. Add checking weather reports, stock prices, reading the news, etc. Good times.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I say get one.

Last year my boyfriend was debating on buying a palm pilot and I told him to just get a Treo instead (we're both on Sprint)

And he did. And he fell in love. And then a few weeks later I did. And then I fell in love.

And now we both agree that we will never go back to a regular cell phone again.

We use it as our mobile tv, our mp3 player, for our internet, for our email... and you mentioned not really texting much, well, once you get that qwerty keyboard I think that might change.

I heart my Treo. I think you will, too!
    bouncing off the top of this cloud. I'll be on VIRB.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you for the great replies. Please, keep them coming because I love learning knew ways to use my electronics!

I am left wondering why I didn't consider a Treo from the beginning. I've had the TX for a year and a half now.

I'm very excited...about the only thing I'm worried is getting used to the smaller screen.

Anyone here watch movies on it? I was pleasantly surprised with how well the TX does movies and had virtually no complaints about the quality or screen size so long as I converted it to a decent file size. I wonder if I'll adjust down to the 320 x 320 o.k.
    ...One other thing I didn't mention...it would be nice to be able to discreetly record my meetings. I can't do that with the TX at all. If I get a flip case for the Treo, will it look more like a PDA (which would be acceptable to bring to a meeting), or will it be obvious it is a phone (not quite so acceptable to bring to a meeting)?...
    The latest version of the Treo does not have an antenna. It looks more like a PDA, in my estimation.

Go for it.
    Anyone here watch movies on it? I was pleasantly surprised with how well the TX does movies and had virtually no complaints about the quality or screen size so long as I converted it to a decent file size. I wonder if I'll adjust down to the 320 x 320 o.k.
    I always keep 2 or 3 movies on my card for emergencies (standing in a long line, etc.) and rotate them on a regular basis. I don't have any problems with the size or quality. Last December I was on my way out to take some photos at 4am when I drove by a Toys R Us and saw about 10 people standing in line. I figured they were waiting for a Nintendo Wii (we had been looking for one for our son). So I just stopped, got in line, and watched 1 full movie plus started a second one before the store opened.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Gotta watch the data charges if you do not get an unlimited data plan. It can bankrupt you. Even though the unlimited data is expensive on Verizon (and not totally unlimited), it may be wise to get it at first and see if you can keep your data usage down, then adjust later if you do not use it much. I think you'll wind up using it more than you think.

I wanted a treo to combine my phone and PDA, with the only connection I thought would be dialing from my contacts. Now I can't imagine not having a data plan. Out for dinner with friends, you can look up what movies are playing where, and even buy the tickets, before the waiter picks up their tip, then off to the movies you & your party go. Weather, news, email, ad-infinitum! I prefer getting my work email on my treo more than I do in outlook on my work PC, it's always there and used extensively.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    If you can't live without your TX, you'll hardly ever put your Treo down. Get unlimited data and you'll find you use it for EVERYTHING
    Not sure I have anything new here, but yes, you'll go from 320x480 to 320x320 which you'll most definately notice in your shopping lists and stuff like that, movies, etc..

My old PDA was a Clie that was 320x320, so I didn't take a notch down there. But it was great moving from two devices to one, plus gaining a much better browsing experience, email, IM, etc.

One thing to note.. No, the Treo does not have WiFi, but if you purchase a Class 1 Bluetooth dongle ($10-$20) and put it up above everything else (I use a USB Extension cable to get it above everythging, so it's not behind the computers) it'll work for quite a long distance. So instead of using cellular data in the house, you can use Bluetooth data. You get about 400kbit/sec out of it, which is plenty for decent bitrate music, and more than enough for browsing the net, etc.
  15.    #15  
    Great feedback! Thank you. And feel free to keep it coming. I know this is a treo board...fully expected to get positive recommendations, but I like hearing the "why" of why I should do it.
    I *love* my Treo... but if I carried a purse around with me everywhere, I'd have both a PDA and a phone, not a converged device. What you'll find is that the Treo won't be as good of a PDA as your Palm device, and it won't be as good of a phone as whatever phone you have. The convenience of having both in one device is AMAZING, in my opinion. However, frankly, I think that convenience is offset by your ability to carry a purse with you wherever you go.

So, while I'm sure it will not be a popular opinion, no, I don't think you really need (or want) a Treo.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan View Post
    I *love* my Treo... but if I carried a purse around with me everywhere, I'd have both a PDA and a phone, not a converged device. What you'll find is that the Treo won't be as good of a PDA as your Palm device, and it won't be as good of a phone as whatever phone you have. The convenience of having both in one device is AMAZING, in my opinion. However, frankly, I think that convenience is offset by your ability to carry a purse with you wherever you go.

So, while I'm sure it will not be a popular opinion, no, I don't think you really need (or want) a Treo.
    You are male? Because while I do carry a purse around, I don't carry it everywhere. Even if I did, though...I'm trying to declutter my purse...it's a pain to make sure I have 2 separate devices charged all the time, in the a.m. at work I take my phone out and turn the ringer off to vibrate, then take my PDA out to place in the cradle, then when I step away from my desk I have to put both in a drawer so they don't grow legs. However, I hear what you are saying. Though from what I can tell in my reading, the Treo would actually make a fine replacement for the PDA side...it's the phone side that might be in question (RF is important to me).

I really think the purse part, for me, could be taken out of the equation.

Good feedback and definitely something to ponder. Thank you.

Oh...P.S. who says you can't carry a purse?? It's called a MAN purse!! Perfectly acceptable in this day and age.
    A way to stop any data charges if you never want to use data...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12#post1290812

The only acceptable "Man-purse" is a briefcase...
    or a (really cool, rugged, manly) backpack... but no Lois Vitton!

Cargo Pants Rule!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Like you, I had a Tungsten T5 and resisted buying the Treo because I didn't want to shelve the T5 after having spent the money. But the Treo is heaven sent for me. The ability to send e-mails wherever I am (or wherever there's a signal), send instant messages to my wife or anyone I need to reach immediately, I installed Pocket Quicken on it (which I had on my T5) so now I can monitor my budgets when I'm renting equipment, hiring crew, etc. for my business...I was in midtown New York in a cab late for a meeting, wanted to e-mail my client to tell him I was running late, couldn't find his e-mail, so I got on the internet, went to his company site, found his staff e-mail address, e-mailed him and texted all my crew that I was running late. Also, when clients call to book me, it's so cool that I can put them on speakerphone, jump over to Agendus Pro, check my schedule while I've got them on the line and confirm a booking. Before, I had to juggle my cell and my T5. No longer! I can also use my wireless keyboard which I used with the T5 to type memos and notes, input business receipts into Pocket Quicken, or track expenses using custom spreadsheets in Documents To Go...all while sitting in Starbucks waiting for my meeting in the building across the street to start! What's better than that?
    Funny, I've had Palm devices in the past, supplied by my company, and I never really used them. Didn't want to carry them around. Forgot them most of the time anyway. Also, I found jotting stuff down on a yellow sticky to be faster anyway. I had pretty much sworn off the whole electronic pc/notepad thing... until I got my Treo. Since I always have my phone with me, I now see the benefit of combining devices. And I too, now, couldn't imagine being without mine. It has replaced my day-planner too.

-Frank
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast