Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    You are male? Because while I do carry a purse around, I don't carry it everywhere. Even if I did, though...I'm trying to declutter my purse...it's a pain to make sure I have 2 separate devices charged all the time, in the a.m. at work I take my phone out and turn the ringer off to vibrate, then take my PDA out to place in the cradle, then when I step away from my desk I have to put both in a drawer so they don't grow legs. However, I hear what you are saying. Though from what I can tell in my reading, the Treo would actually make a fine replacement for the PDA side...it's the phone side that might be in question (RF is important to me).

I really think the purse part, for me, could be taken out of the equation.

Good feedback and definitely something to ponder. Thank you.

Oh...P.S. who says you can't carry a purse?? It's called a MAN purse!! Perfectly acceptable in this day and age.
    I'll pass on the man purse =) I think it went out w/ Seinfeld. And if you're looking to declutter your purse, or your life, then a converged device is probably right up your alley. That's what it really comes down with.

Do you want the BEST PDA you can have and the BEST phone you can have, or do you want one device that serves BOTH functions, but maybe not quite as well? That's what you have to decide. For me, the choice came down to wanting to carry only one device... if it comes down to the same choice for you, then the Treo should be an easy choice. =)

Good luck, in any case.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I suggest waiting for the iPhone release. Palm is going to get left in the dust by the iPhone and Blackberry. Palm is increasingly losing market share to companies that are willing to listen to what their customers want. I hate to even write all this as i've been a Palm fan for a long time, but they have proven they are living in their own reality bubble, and it's not one their customers share. Can you say Foleo?!
    Anyway, i say wait, why jump onto a sinking ship.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    She's already on the ship.

I just moved from a TX and really love my 680. I do miss the big screen for movies but I still do have the TX and can happily bring it along with a SD card full of TV and movies and totally dedicate the battery to just playing media when I know I'll be traveling. But then I have a man-purse (I'm diabetic and have to carry my diabetic 'PDA' and gear with me anyway.) My man-purse is an over-one-shoulder deal that can easily carry my folding keyboard, a real notepad and pens, the Treo in a special cellphone pocket that makes it always handy. It really is a complete little office over my shoulder. I'm married with children so I don't have to be cool for anyone anymore, but I actually got a compliment by an attractive young lady the other day. Unless she was being sarcastic I guess it means it isn't that bad.

One benefit of the Treo is that it has more DB Cache so if you ever found yourself waiting days for Blazer to open on the TX you'll be very happy that the Treo version is very much improved. I rarely used Blazer on my TX, it was a waste of time, but on the Treo is is very usable and very handy.

Also you can get an app like Type Right or Butler and use the keyboard as a launcher, which is a huge improvement over the TX for me. I can get to all my commonly used apps very quickly. The Treo keyboard is also way more efficient for entering text over Graffiti. And one thing that drove me nuts a bit on the TX was switching between landscape and portrait, DIA up and DIA down. The Treo is more limited, but IMO that makes it more zen as it is one less thing for me to fight with. When Treos get the sensor feature like iPhones then I'll happily go to a larger screen, but for now square does have some advantage for me.
    get a treo when the user can get by with much smaller, lighter, and with the features that he/she needs?

huh?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    First of all, if you have to ask the question, then you don't really "need" it.

Second, everyone knows what a Treo is in a buz meeting.

Treo is, however, a fun toy to have. Especially when you get bluetooth DUN working.
    Um, the iPhone isn't a PDA-phone, it's just a multimedia phone. The blackberries are getting much better in the last few years, but there's not nearly as much software availabe for it. You'll also miss the touchscreen. I have mixed feelings about palm right now. I have a really hard time recommending them due to their horrible service/support lately, but I still feel like the Treo is the best smartphone in the market right now. Just avoid the 700p, grab a 755 on Sprint with a SERO plan, and enjoy your unlimited data access.

^ written on my treo
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Um, the iPhone does everything a Blackberry does, and that's just based on what we know now. It's got a calendar, email, phone, address book...that's a PDA phone! At least that's all the Treo has and we call it a PDA-phone.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  8.    #28  
    Thanks for the continued feedback. Well...my intent was to go with Verizon when they get the 755p, but I decided to give Sprint a test drive. Their data plans are far more reasonable.

I had a soft reset before I had installed anything and even before I had done my first sync! I later had another one when I was using music tones.

I did what you aren't supposed to do...I jumped in with both feet and pretty much loaded all my important apps at once without testing each individually. I've had no soft resets after all the installations other than the music tones.

My first impressions:
    The phone is challenging in getting used to. I was accustomed to the ability to voice dial and I do miss that. A lot. But it took me 3 years to get used to and start using voice dial so I'm sure I'll adjust.

I haven't figured out all the various "mobile" version of sites, but am enjoying being able to pop onto the internet here and there (read at work).

The little buttons are challenging!! I have fingernails so I'm trying real hard to use the side of my thumbs...I'm getting better...but I guess this is another learning curve thing.

I wanted a cover for my Palm similar to what I have on my TX, but I've been using it nekkid and I like it!! But I'm terrified I'll scratch it. I want to install a screen protector, but using the bare screen is so responsive and smooth. In my dealings with the TX, which has always had a protector of some kind on...the bare screen is a much nicer pleasure to work with (though dangerous and I'm afraid the niceness will not outweigh my need for protection).

Can't quite figure out why they wouldn't have given contacts its own dedicated button. Seems it would have been a lot easier and would have made the phone app easier to use, too. Also, when I use the rocker switch to go through my contacts, it hits every single number, rather than just changing at the name level. I would far prefer rocker down = next name...rocker right = numbers within that name.

I haven't gotten Zlauncher all the way configured the way I want it so I'm not enjoying looking at the screen that much yet. I'll get there.

The battery DOES drain super fast...mostly this probably won't be an issue. I was already accustomed to plugging my phone in every night, and I have a cradle at work for the TX which I'll swap out to Treo.

CallRecord is VERY cool. Except I keep forgetting to turn it off! And I haven't figured out how to "see" the files on the card, nor get them to computer. But I haven't spent much time with it.

Everything synced data wise as expected, except splash photo. I ended up losing all my photos...but it's not a big deal...I can recreate.

I've been playing with 2-day and like it, but it's tiny. I saw some examples using other options, different fonts, etc., so at some point I'll probably play with that.

BackupMan is already set up and worked as expected (well, with backing up...I haven't had to recover yet).

Movies play as expected in the TCPMP. YAY! I think I can live with the smaller screen.

I was only able to get one of my ringers over to the phone...for some reason the other two didn't work. And I can't assign a ringer to a specific person? I'll miss that.

I'm looking forward to having the weekend to finish configuring everything. I think, for me, the phone is the hardest thing to adjust to. I'll get there.
    The loss of the dedicated contacts button will make perfect sense when you switch your phone app to automatically searching the contacts list when you type a name. The only time I touch the rocker anymore is to switch between phone numbers. Granted I only have 300 names in there (too many to scroll through even with the use of categories which I only use for the benefit of Outlook). I would suggest just getting into the habit of typing first initial and then last name. My experience is that I hit the right contact within 3 letters although I have had to type 5 to distringuish between two contacts.
    I wanted a cover for my Palm similar to what I have on my TX, but I've been using it nekkid and I like it!! But I'm terrified I'll scratch it. I want to install a screen protector, but using the bare screen is so responsive and smooth. In my dealings with the TX, which has always had a protector of some kind on...the bare screen is a much nicer pleasure to work with (though dangerous and I'm afraid the niceness will not outweigh my need for protection).
    Use these: They will all but disappear when applied correctly.

* http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

Can't quite figure out why they wouldn't have given contacts its own dedicated button.
    Because once you get used to using the keyboard, you'll never need to launch the contacts app via a button or icon again. It truly is superior; just takes a bit of getting used to.

Enjoy it =)
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    My first impressions:
    The phone is challenging in getting used to. I was accustomed to the ability to voice dial and I do miss that. A lot. But it took me 3 years to get used to and start using voice dial so I'm sure I'll adjust.
    There are 2 third-party applications that you might want to try: VoiceDialIt and Treo Voice Dialing. I don't use them. But some people here do. You might be able to find some info in this forum.

I haven't figured out all the various "mobile" version of sites, but am enjoying being able to pop onto the internet here and there (read at work).
    Two useful url's are like http://www.skweezer.net that will convert pages to be viewed as a "mobile" version. You can also use http://mobile.google.com

I use the screen protectors from Boxwave and hardly notice the difference (I don't use the stylus much). There are others out there that you could try.

Can't quite figure out why they wouldn't have given contacts its own dedicated button. Seems it would have been a lot easier and would have made the phone app easier to use, too. Also, when I use the rocker switch to go through my contacts, it hits every single number, rather than just changing at the name level. I would far prefer rocker down = next name...rocker right = numbers within that name.
    I just search for contacts by name once I am in the phone application. I also use Agendus as my organizer...makes it simple.

I haven't gotten Zlauncher all the way configured the way I want it so I'm not enjoying looking at the screen that much yet. I'll get there.
    It takes a bit to get it configured to the point that you are happy. But once you get there it is very nice.

The battery DOES drain super fast...mostly this probably won't be an issue. I was already accustomed to plugging my phone in every night, and I have a cradle at work for the TX which I'll swap out to Treo.
    Yep...you have couple of choices for an extended battery from Seidio if you really need it. During the day I keep my 755p on the cradle at work so that solves the problem for me.

I've been playing with 2-day and like it, but it's tiny. I saw some examples using other options, different fonts, etc., so at some point I'll probably play with that.
    If you install FontSmoother that will take care of that issue.

I was only able to get one of my ringers over to the phone...for some reason the other two didn't work. And I can't assign a ringer to a specific person? I'll miss that.
    Another third-party application fix...and there are a few out there. I use CallBlock MP3 RingTone Edition to assign ringers to specific contacts.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    And I can't assign a ringer to a specific person? I'll miss that.
    You can assign ringers to a specific person. There's a field in the Contact record called "Ringtone". Just choose anyone of your stored ringtones from that field.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberBec View Post
    You can assign ringers to a specific person. There's a field in the Contact record called "Ringtone". Just choose anyone of your stored ringtones from that field.
    Nice...I missed that one. Thanks!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  14.    #34  
    Wow! Thank you for all the helpful ideas/suggestions. I didn't know I could do a special ringer in contacts! Perfect.

O.k. one more question...is there a quick way to turn off the radio? I don't need the "internet" open all day. Blazer can't be configured to turn it off when you close out?
    Holding the red power button will turn on/off the radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Holding the red power button will turn on/off the radio.
    Just remember that turns off the phone also so you will not be able to receive calls.
    You can go to Prefs and disconnect that way. I don't see a way for Blazer to do a network disconnection when you exit. There may be some 3rd party app that'll handle disconnecting network after some idle period, though. I haven't tried looking for one myself.

Edit: Battery Doctor seems to be one app that will do this, but there may be others that are more up to date.
    Last edited by Keleko; 06/22/2007 at 07:41 PM.
    The little buttons are challenging!! I have fingernails so I'm trying real hard to use the side of my thumbs...I'm getting better...but I guess this is another learning curve thing.
    I have long fingernails, too. I find using a case that covers the keys makes it easier to type with your nail...no slipping.

You can assign a hard button to the contacts app in Preferences>Buttons.

Everything synced data wise as expected, except splash photo. I ended up losing all my photos...but it's not a big deal...I can recreate.
    Have you checked in your "My Pictures" folder on your PC. When I sync, my photos get put into the Palm Folder in My Pictures.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I have long fingernails, too. I find using a case that covers the keys makes it easier to type with your nail...no slipping.

You can assign a hard button to the contacts app in Preferences>Buttons.

Have you checked in your "My Pictures" folder on your PC. When I sync, my photos get put into the Palm Folder in My Pictures.
    I had to sync my old palm to get the pictures back, and then copied them over to the new card. I'm good on the pictures.

I continue to really enjoy this. I'm getting it close to how I want it set up...used it today in the grocery store...one handed. What a treat. With my TX I never quite got used to using the direction pad.

I think I'm adapting fairly well...and (knock on wood), haven't crashed my device.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    What case are you using?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast