1.    #1  
    I know this gets kicked about a lot...but now I am on the fence and don't know what to do. I need to replace a 650 with a bad screen. Couple that with a need to upgrade my plan to more minutes and data, I am thinking about upgrading to either the 680 or 750 and working myself a deal. But stuck on the fence.

Cost to me is neutral... I'd like them both to be free...but alas they are not.

For 750: 3G sounds great and would be great for tethering and multitasking which I would do now and again...but so much groaning about WM5 has me back on my heels..The tipping point might be your assurances that it is not THAT bad or that WM6 will solve more problems than it will unleash upon us all.

For 680: Garnet is old in the tooth and not long for this world. Battery life has me concerned that I will spend time every day looking for a cradle or an outlet for the travel charger. I know that several bugs have been fixed to improve this and an aftermarket battery or a spare could improve things...but...

So speak to me o wise ones. Tell me why or why not.

I thank you all.

Skigs
  2.    #2  
    As above...same story but waffle like no body's business....

I decide to go 750 for 3G and the faster tether ability it will provide when sitting in an airport....but am gun shy on WM5. It is an unknown for me being a Palm Treo guy going back to the 180.

I then default back to 680. Comfy...familiar...and I am not a super power user.

Somebody put me over the top.

Skigs
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I can only speak for the 680, have had it for 7mos, a few soft resets regarding the gibberish and only 1 hard reset, I sync with MS & Mac. I switched from a 600. I really think its the platform you want. also battery life for me is very good I feel I am a moderate user.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    These choices are very personal, so it's hard for me to argue one way or another. All I can say is that I have had a 680 since December (original unlocked from Palm, using T-Mobile) and have had no problems. Many blast the PalmOs Treos for being "long in the tooth" as you say, but my feeling is that it works, does what it is supposed to, and is extremely reliable. Old it may be, but it sure is easy to use and can be tweaked to meet any personality via the huge third-party software available.

My decision was based on the fact that the PalmOs provides a solid base with its PIM products, and the extra software available gives me the ability to personalize it to the max. Whether for personal, business, or educational use, I can make it exactly what I need. I use it constantly with no problems, and if I have an extra busy day, I can either top off my battery or pop in my spare.

Enjoy your phone, whichever way you choose.
    I personally found the 750 to be rock solid compared to the 700P I had before. The WM5 took a little while to get used to, but after a day or so, I was was ready to rock and roll.

Never have had the 680 though I have heard that it is essentially the 650, which I found to be much better than the 700P, even though it lacked the EVDO.
    Lock and Load!
    skigs - having tried both 680 & 750, how's the battery life of 750? I know 680 battery sucks. I sometimes spend 1-2 hrs/day on the phone and need a margin to last until the end of the day.

Many thanks.
    The battery life for both can be considered dismal. The 680 a bit less so than the 750 if the 750 is in and out of 3G areas. I found the 680 a better overall phone, and the 750 a better PDA (minus some UI issues that are WM inherant). In your case, it seems the 680 is best, but you really might want to take each for a test drive (14days I believe it is you have before no able to return them) and go from there. Start with the 680 since Palm OS is more familiar to you.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I know this gets kicked about a lot...but now I am on the fence and don't know what to do. I need to replace a 650 with a bad screen. Couple that with a need to upgrade my plan to more minutes and data, I am thinking about upgrading to either the 680 or 750 and working myself a deal. But stuck on the fence.

Cost to me is neutral... I'd like them both to be free...but alas they are not.

For 750: 3G sounds great and would be great for tethering and multitasking which I would do now and again...but so much groaning about WM5 has me back on my heels..The tipping point might be your assurances that it is not THAT bad or that WM6 will solve more problems than it will unleash upon us all.

For 680: Garnet is old in the tooth and not long for this world. Battery life has me concerned that I will spend time every day looking for a cradle or an outlet for the travel charger. I know that several bugs have been fixed to improve this and an aftermarket battery or a spare could improve things...but...

So speak to me o wise ones. Tell me why or why not.

I thank you all.

Skigs
    My 650 broke---these days I don't upgrade until I have to given how many upgrade problems I have had----and I bought a 680.

I was concerned about the battery life, too. It has turned out not to be much of an issue. In a normal day, I am always around a charger to top off. Even without topping off, I have never gone below 60%. Now, your normal day may make it more difficult to get to a charger, and if you are a heavy phone user (I'm more of a heavy PDA user, with MP3 use, ebooks, etc), your mileage may vary.

The battery does concern me if I'm out of town and traveling. At that point, a spare battery has to go in the pocket.

You say you are not a power user...then the 680 would seem to be the choice, the closest thing to a 650, but with many enhancements (more memory, Ptunes included by default, faster phone turn-off, turn-on, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Many blast the PalmOs Treos for being "long in the tooth" as you say, but my feeling is that it works, does what it is supposed to, and is extremely reliable. Old it may be, but it sure is easy to use and can be tweaked to meet any personality via the huge third-party software available..
    Agreed. This is not my primary computer. I have another for that. I don't really want to spend the day on the internet with a tiny Treo screen. That's for emergencies not regular use.