1.    #1  
    Okay, around August or so, I'll be in the market for a new smart/PDA phone. Right now I'm looking at a Treo from Sprint , an iPhone, and a Blackberry. First of all, as a carrier I like Sprint because of their fast and widely availiable data network, and for my needs they have the best prices. The problem is that the Garnet based PalmOS is getting long in the tooth. From what I've heard there is a new Treo in the pipeline with a new linux based OS, any ideas when they'll show up? The iPhone looks neat, but while the price isn't too big of a deal, I'm not so sure about Cingular as my carrier. Finally there's the Blackberry. Since one of the biggest things I'm looking at is e-mail, the Blackberry is obviously attractive, but my unfamiliarity with the platform is what's keeping it at arms distance from me. If the new Treo comes out by October or so, I could wait, but otherwise the Blackberry is looking like a winner.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have been evaluating the phones (BB 8830) but one thing that's holding me back from switching to Blackberry is the data plan pricing. To get full functionality, you cannot just get the PowerVision plan from Sprint. You have to subscribe to the BB data plan, which is a cool $40 / month. Now, you might be able to persuade someone at Sprint to get you PowerVision (as couple BB threads has said), but you will not get the push email functionality that CrackBerry is famous for.

To compare apple to apples (without any discounts), I had Vision plans on my Treo for $15 and I think PowerVision has similar pricing. The BB data plan will cost you an additional $25 / month. If your company is paying, no biggie. but if you have to pay that yourself...

If you really want that Blackberry, might consider T-Mobile. They got a cheaper consumer-pricing BB plan that's supposedly only $20. But for me, I am stuck with Sprint for now so no switch for me.

Things to ponder about...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jweng View Post
    I have been evaluating the phones (BB 8830) but one thing that's holding me back from switching to Blackberry is the data plan pricing. To get full functionality, you cannot just get the PowerVision plan from Sprint. You have to subscribe to the BB data plan, which is a cool $40 / month. Now, you might be able to persuade someone at Sprint to get you PowerVision (as couple BB threads has said), but you will not get the push email functionality that CrackBerry is famous for.

To compare apple to apples (without any discounts), I had Vision plans on my Treo for $15 and I think PowerVision has similar pricing. The BB data plan will cost you an additional $25 / month. If your company is paying, no biggie. but if you have to pay that yourself...

If you really want that Blackberry, might consider T-Mobile. They got a cheaper consumer-pricing BB plan that's supposedly only $20. But for me, I am stuck with Sprint for now so no switch for me.

Things to ponder about...
    Yeah, the data plans are whats holding me back on the Blackberry, and T-Mobile is the one that looks the best for the BB. So my phone choice will also decide my carrier. Sprint for a Treo, TMobile for a BlackBerry, or Cingular for and iPhone.
    bsharitt,

I have a Treo with Sprint and a Blackberry with T-Mobile. I'm also planning on being one of the guys on line for an iPhone when it's released. Here's the thing - if email is your main priority, you may want to write off the iPhone.

The touch/software based keyboard is not getting good buzz, and were I not an avid iPod carrier I'd probably ding it myself. Since you're not purchasing for a bit, keep your ear to the ground on the keyboard issue - otherwise, you can get a push email system going for the 755 on Sprint that'll work like a Blackberry (I use 4Smartphone) or of course a T-Mobile Blackberry will work great too.

Cheers!
    LZ
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org