Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Naming convention will be Treo 5XX
    One version with Windows Mobile 6 Standard, the other is a new non-touchscreen edition of the Palm OS
    Multiple colors
    135 grams; 117 x 65 x 13.8 mm
    2.4 inch QVGA screen with 65k colors
    2 megapixel camera
    Bluetooth 2.0 w/ A2DP support
    3G + HSDPA
    256 MB on board memory with 64 MB of RAM

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/
    How do you run 95% of the PalmOS third party app without the touch screen?

And a working A2DP bluetooth stack in POS platform? I have my doubt.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    If the Palm OS version is still running Garnet, I don't see how it can be HSDPA. Maybe removing the touchscreen frees up the OS to manage simultaneous voice and data .
    To put those specs in perspective (somewhat)

Motorola Q:
    117 x 64 x 11.5 mm/115 g

Treo 5xx:
    117 x 65 x 13.8 mm/135 g

So it's about the same size but a bit thicker. Not bad, not great. Should be a nice low-entry market device like the Q, Blackjack and Dash.

The memory and Palm tweaks to the OS should be it's selling points, though to be honest the market for these devices is getting a little crowded (see recently announced Moto Q q9m for Verizon).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    the market is crowed, but Plam still needs to compete.

If this is acuarte this is very good news. Not only have they release multiple handsets this year, but at various price points. I'm excited about the notio, and very curious to see what a non-ouch screen would be like w/ Plam OS.

(Of course - i'm not buying it - still pissed about the 700p MR)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    No touchscreen, no farking way.

On the upside, the 5-way emulation software that's out there will have a boost in sales, eh?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Those specs are fake (at least in regards to the touch screen), I'm sure of it. Someone I know says saw one at Palm and it has a touch screen. (it was Palm OS). They said it felt pretty cramped and a bit cheap.

I doubt the other specs as well since (per my friend) the device appears to be an entry-level Treo, lower than the 680. No new software compared to current Treos either.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    That's it, that's all I need to know to be sure...

Does anyone have an address where I can send flowers, and does anyone know if Palm's funeral is a public affair, or just for close friends and family?
    Let's see. How many years has this ceremony been announced now?
    Patrick Horne
    Well, my history with palm is clearly coming to a close. I hope shorthand, uh I mean "palm" enjoys its future catering the market with low - end and mid level devices going forward.

I like the blackberry curve. The iphone is also very interesting. The sprint mogul is another intriguing device. There are alternatives out there for sure.

I see shorthand/backhand (aka palm) as a cheap brand name anymore, and I really see no further need to continue buying their "slow end" devices.

Pathetic evolution of a product which formerly had such a promising future.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    If the Palm OS version is still running Garnet, I don't see how it can be HSDPA. Maybe removing the touchscreen frees up the OS to manage simultaneous voice and data .
    No. That wouldn't be it.

The PalmOS is pretty capable to handle 3G. Now, before anybody starts screaming "NO IT'S NOT!!!," you better read ACCESS's developer docs on it: http://www.access-company.com/develo...s.html#1046570.

Anyway, to the non technical stuff.

The PalmOS can handle that stuff (touch screen, wireless radios, etc.) without needing one or another to be absent to allow another feature to work. The issue is, the PalmOS has been relatively underpowered and, of course, some of Palm's modifications (prior to the recent PalmOS agreement with ACCESS) have been buggy and lacking.

I am sure that for 3G support (**if** it is a feature and **if** this unit is run by the PalmOS) required some changes in the internal code to offer more flexible support.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Don't we see EVDO 3G on the 700P and 755P? So what the deal that they cant do it for GSM based phone because the last POS GSM phone released was the 680 and that suppose to be a entry level phone?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If it's not running Garnet when what the current version PalmOS can/can't do is kinda irrelevant

Now the Foleo has a non touchscreen OS so it could be using something based on that.
    I doubt this is not touch screen since we have seen some pics or something that show the dial pad.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Is it just me or does anyone else think this unit looks Sh#t!
    I cannot believe that it doesn't have a touch screen.
    It will make dialing on the key pad interesting.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think this unit looks Sh#t!
    I cannot believe that it doesn't have a touch screen.
    It will make dialing on the key pad interesting.
    Ummm...no WM smartphones have touch screens and they work just fine as phones.

As far as looks....eh, not an issue.

I'm more concerned with ergonomics and functionality that if it "looks hot" or something. If it feels right in the hand, which Palm usually nails, then that's all that matters.

I guess I don't consider a smartphone a fashion accessory?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    "Curse you" say the Europeans...mobile fashion is important to them. They are cell phone fanatics. There is even a place on the dining table along side your fork and knife for your mobile device as far as dining edicate goes. I in some part agree with them since I am a little fashion conscious. I don't go as deep as the word sexy as others...The work Trick works for me. I think the current Treo looks very stylish. IMO, I think the Gandolf is ugly no matter what its capablilities and I wouldn't be caught dead in a boardroom meeting nor in public with it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I think if you own a Treo you are quite likely to get the mickey taken out of you anyway. My Treo 650 is affectionately known around the office as 'the door stop' or just the 'brick'. No doubt if I go for a Gandolf, that will be known as the 'fugly' phone.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I doubt the other specs as well since (per my friend) the device appears to be an entry-level Treo, lower than the 680. No new software compared to current Treos either.
    Ah, the power of marketing. I always have to chuckle a little when people refer to the 680 as entry level, since it actually improves on the former flagship 650 (except for battery, ugh). And apart from WM and EVDO, the non POS 7xx's never really were *that* much different.

So I guess it comes as little surprise to me that a new example of "entry level" might offer little different than today's Treos, apart from further cost reductions in hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Let's see. How many years has this ceremony been announced now?
    Hmm... come to think of it, not that long really. To be sure, there were signposts along the way... Palm's apparent inability to truly figure out what it was doing WRT software (OS yo-yo), the marketing of WM on Palm hardware, the subsequent use of terms like "revolutionary" or "significantly enhanced" in relation to 7xx's running the same ol' FrankenGarnet. But hey, you have to give Palm credit for finally releasing their Linux OS... on a device that they seem to admit relatively few people are expected to buy, and with no apparent plans to introduce this new OS on a Treo.

Was there any really good news in there? Well, I suppose we could say that Palm finally becoming aware that there were people outside the US who might actually be interested in buying Treos was a good thing. Perhaps also on this list was the final removal of that freakin antenna nub, since Europeans were known to reject anything with external antennae.

So I guess it's not so much trying to predict Palm's demise as constantly searching for signs that things are actually improving. Having to sell a 25% stake to private equity, to me, does not signal happy times. Read differently, I suppose, it could mean that the appropriate people will be getting a grilling for non-performance...

If I had to pick a point in time when Palm sent us a signal that they were becoming irrelevant, it would be the introduction on WM running on their hardware... and doing so in a way that actually compromised POS running on the same hardware (just ask a 700P owner within earshot).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast