Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    We have heard about the Treo 800w being 320 x 320 when it comes out which is a step up from the 320 x 240 the Windows smartphones have now. But the Palm Treos have been 320 x 320 for years.

With the Treo 800p being Linux and a new form factor. Does anyone think it is possible that the screen will be 480 x 320 or 640 x 480?
    Seriously doubt it. Palm will stick with a square screen and going to 480 square would double the pixel count and hurt battery life.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    The current WM treos were stuck at 240x240 because of a limitation of WM5 and the cost of higher resolution screens (ie 480x480). WM6 handles 320x320 and higher resolutions, so Palm's decision to make the 800w 320x320 is not because of a limitation of the OS, but more likely due to the higher cost associated with higher resolution screens.

Considering that, I don't see why they would make the 800p a higher screen resolution. If they were to make it better than 320x320 they would do it on both models.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Unless they remove the keyboard and expect us all to carry Fooleos around with us to type.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Unless they remove the keyboard and expect us all to carry Fooleos around with us to type.

That might be exactly the direction PALM is going....
    in which case we all switch to blackberries. simple.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    in which case we all switch to blackberries. simple.
    If Blackberries are so great why do we all here still own Treo's
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Because the BB 8830 hasn't been released on Sprint yet?
    isn't the 700wx same price as 700p? so I doubt its to cut cost but rather software compatibility
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    isn't the 700wx same price as 700p? so I doubt its to cut cost but rather software compatibility
    The software compatibility is the major reason, but the lower res screen is probably still cheaper. Remember, unlike the 700p, you are paying Microsoft, also. They don't make things cheap.
    Because Blackberry's won't ever be allowed on SERO.
    The reason why MS made 320x320 a supported res was for Palm. Palm's strategy is to develop hardware that is essentially the same and then just slap WM or POS on it. Cost savings for palm, which should also help create new devices faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The reason why MS made 320x320 a supported res was for Palm. Palm's strategy is to develop hardware that is essentially the same and then just slap WM or POS on it. Cost savings for palm, which should also help create new devices faster.
    So sad. They've become the Timex of the smatphone world.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I love the idea of the new Blackberry quad band CDMA/GSM world phone, but my understanding is that they have so few apps available for them. Am I mistaken? They are great for push email, but what about things like Splash ID, though manager, docs to go that let you create and just view docs/files?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Well I answered one of my own questions: you can do MS office docs/files on a BB, but it will cost you $200! http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...8#description1
    And apparently there is a Splash ID available for BB also. Wow. $200 is outrageous for the software, but it is amazing to know how much Blackberries have advanced. Man, Palm is really fumbling here...frittering away their lead.
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/26/2007 at 11:11 AM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    So the 800w is screen is going to be 320x320 and maybe future Treos will be 480x480 and higher... but Palm still expects to use the same tiny form factor?

Good Lord, I am going to go blind trying to read those tiny screens. I plan to have Lasik this fall but should tell the doctor to cut a little deeper since I'll be using a Treo 800w when I'm done...

I hope Palm plans to make their Treos a little bigger for us older folks
    scoob,
    Just get a Foleo. Palm will be release it with a free hip holster.

JK. Actually you are spot on. We need at least HVGA.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I bought a blackberry 8703 recently, used it for 5 days and ultimately took it back. Loved the form factor and the keyboard and its lightness / solid feeling. Doesn't feel like the treo brick and doesn't feel like if you dropped it it would smash in pieces like the treo...

However - editing dox and spreadsheets on a blackberry is still massively slow and cumbersome. I have some dox and spreadsheets that take 2 seconds to open up on documents to go that take 2-3 minutes to open up on the BBerry and that crappy office to go software doesn't reformat your dox to fit your screen very well. It's virtually useless for doing anything but reading attachments, for $200!

Also BBerry does not thread texts like Palm OS does

And it very annoyingly stores all your emails and text messages in the same "inbox" making it difficult if you have multiple email addresses to tell which one received it or whether it's a text or email.

Changing your rings quickly, or putting it in vibrate mode quickly is next to impossible, there are way too many layers in the menus to get to basic functions...

I can't believe after all these years they haven't changed that. Their devices are very elegant, and great if you have one email address, but for complicated power use, not very good...

depressing that Palm can't make a thin wifi device that is as sexy as it is useful...
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Not everyone here uses a Treo....... anymore! As far as owning, I still own a 700p. Its is a drawer.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by yahdoood View Post
    Also BBerry does not thread texts like Palm OS does

And it very annoyingly stores all your emails and text messages in the same "inbox" making it difficult if you have multiple email addresses to tell which one received it or whether it's a text or email.

Changing your rings quickly, or putting it in vibrate mode quickly is next to impossible, there are way too many layers in the menus to get to basic functions...
    I can't speak for the 8703 but on the 8100 Pearl, you do get threaded SMS. You can also go to vibrate mode by holding down the '#' key. There is also a key on top that lets you mute the phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast