View Poll Results: How long would you expect to use a Treo?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year or less

6 10.00%
  • more than 1 year, no more than 2

18 30.00%
  • more than 2 years, no more than 3

24 40.00%
  • more than 3 years

11 18.33%
  • other

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you purchased a Treo, how long would you want and expect it to last?

Would you plan to upgrade in a year, a year and a half, longer...?

I ask because a lot of our discussions seem to revolve around the estimated life of a given product (i.e. how long before it no longer works very well), as well as how long the end-user expects to continue using it (i.e. how long before s/he expects to upgrade or switch to another model).

In the case of the Treo, I thought our conversations might benefit from a broader understanding of how long people might expect to use a device that offers x, lacks y, and costs z.

I've posted a similar thread about the iPhone in that forum.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I'd like it to last at least the 2-years of a standard contract, but maybe a lot longer...
    ... but I'd be itching for something new at whatever time frame some new, cool, technology comes along that makes me want to do more than I could do now. (I know- insert whatever jokes you want here about waiting for something truly evolutionary from Palm being a wait measured in decades, not years)

For instance, I'm running out of memory in my 650 for programs I want to run from the phone's memory itself... I am paying EVDO rates for 1x speed on the web, and taking bigger cards and more movies/music is looking tempting. I have been wanting EVDO speeds & more memory since Palm first came out with the 700P, but it's problems have made me wait. Now the urge to upgrade is stronger. So, one year contracts look better to me.

If the MR came out for Vzn and fixed the issues without adding more problems I was considering buying a gently-used 700P even if it is at it's product "end of life". Now I'm just trying to decide between the 755P or waiting even longer for a possible 800P (Don't like the form factor as much), or Perry's elusive Linux-powered 900P. I doubt I can wait that long.

I see you went from a 650 to a 755P, how did that go?
    Last edited by duanedude1; 06/15/2007 at 09:25 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I based my 2/3 year choice on my Treo 650. I bought it in November 2004 and finally retired it last month. It was thouroughly beat up and the ringer frequently would play only a partial note. I was missing calls so went to a 755p. It's NICE. I'll upgrade again when Palm comes out with something compelling. With Palm it may be another 2/3 years.
    Until there is a new phone come out that support the SD slot, I will always have a 680 or a 700p as my primary or backup phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    I'd like it to last at least the 2-years of a standard contract, but maybe a lot longer...
    ... but I'd be itching for something new at whatever time frame some new, cool, technology comes along that makes me want to do more than I could do now. (I know- insert whatever jokes you want here about waiting for something truly evolutionary from Palm being a wait measured in decades, not years)

For instance, I'm running out of memory in my 650 for programs I want to run from the phone's memory itself... I am paying EVDO rates for 1x speed on the web, and taking bigger cards and more movies/music is looking tempting. I have been wanting EVDO speeds & more memory since Palm first came out with the 700P, but it's problems have made me wait. Now the urge to upgrade is stronger. So, one year contracts look better to me.

If the MR came out for Vzn and fixed the issues without adding more problems I was considering buying a gently-used 700P even if it is at it's product "end of life". Now I'm just trying to decide between the 755P or waiting even longer for a possible 800P (Don't like the form factor as much), or Perry's elusive Linux-powered 900P. I doubt I can wait that long.

I see you went from a 650 to a 755P, how did that go?
    No regrets, so far.

Sprint's customer service is pretty crappy, but most companies seem to set that bar pretty low. The 755P is a wonderful upgrade from the 650.

For a look at the 755P from the perspective of a 650 owner, check out this thread.
    With VZW...

I want my Treo to last until I pass my 12-months with a new contract renewal so I can buy the next hot Treo at the discounted contract rate, rather than the retail price. Or... if a new hot Treo is not available after 12-months, I'd like it to last 24-months, until I can buy the new hottest Treo using both the discounted contract price and my NewEveryTwo $100 discount together.

-Frank
    Everything depends on Sprint plan experiation date
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I would still be using my 650 now had I not smashed the thing. I hope to have my 700p for several years -- until it stops working. (Yes, mine is working, even without the MR.)
    I love my 650 and have no real reason to upgrade yet. Two years this month.
    Until the next Treo...if the next doesn't make the grade, then I don't know what I am going to do. I look at what BB has to offer but it isn't enough for the techie.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I would trade up every 6 months if there was a plausible acquisition target. But the new/better phones don't come from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    But the new/better phones don't come from Palm.
    You have got to be kidding me...I never knew.
    at&t iPhone3G
  13.    #13  
    I kept my 650 for 2 and a half years. As long as it met my needs, I expected to stick with it.

Eventually, though, two things happened:
    1) my needs grew and...
    2) my Treo began performing worse and worse.

My girlfriend and I heard about the 755P's impending release and held on for dear life (me to my Treo 650 and her to her simple clamshell) until the big day came.

Now I can surf faster, load more programs, stream more media, have more consistent Bluetooth connections, and take higher-res photos.

So I guess it does have to do with contracts, availability (of a better device), AFFORDability and my wants and needs, but it's less about getting the newest, shiny device than it is about using what I've got until it no longer does the job or the job outgrows it. I don't expect that to doesn't happen for two or more years, at a time, though.
    I used the 600 for almost 2 years, the 650 for 2 years, and the 700p for just a few months. As stable as the 755p is, I would assume I am heading for another 2 years.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I say, personally, 2 years because that's when I can upgrade with Sprint and I'm itching for a new phone waaaay before that anyway.

In terms of how long should it last? Hmm? 3 years or so? The type of people buy these phones like to upgrade, right? So... I say 3 years is about right.
    bouncing off the top of this cloud. I'll be on VIRB.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I would love a treo to last 2-3 years. I figure with the cost of the device and accessories, that is a good investment/return. Then again, a high end desktop pc has lasted me 5 years with minor upgrades.

Unfortunately, my treo's haven't lasted more than 4 months at a time.........
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    My 600 lasted three years, before I upgraded to a 680. Didn't think the 650 gave me enough additional memory to upgrade. I'm hoping that Palm will have a GSM Linux Treo out by next year, with backwardly-compatible application access.
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    I would love a treo to last 2-3 years. I figure with the cost of the device and accessories, that is a good investment/return. Then again, a high end desktop pc has lasted me 5 years with minor upgrades.

Unfortunately, my treo's haven't lasted more than 4 months at a time.........
    4 months!? You're obviously too rough on them. I use mine constantly, input stuff all the time, always looking up stuff, charge it nightly. The nearly 2 year old 650 I sold a while back was like-new, my 680 is immaculate.

So your issues with being rough with the phone have absolutely nothing to do with this.
    I would say I'd be ready to dump this think at the year mark or year-half mark..... kinda tired of it now, ready to move on to something else... with WM6 installed.

My 700wx does do everything I need it to do though, so I can't complain.... I still get that itch.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I've had my 650 for 2 1/2 years and it's still perfect. I have two 680s now and they're fine, too. I usually just get whatever new Treo is released when my contract is up for renewel just to get it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast